• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will Not Crank

Hovey30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys. I have a 2006, 2wd 3.0L auto Ranger. It will not crank. I have checked the pcm relay output which is good to the pcm. All fuses are good. Key on acc, no CEL and my scanner will not read the pcm. The theft light goes out on acc as well. No fuel relay and no start relay signals from the pcm. Any suggestion what to check next? I havent been able to find a 104 on connector diagram to check the rest of the I/O if anyone has one. Thanks in advance.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Is the truck turning over?

Hovey30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
No. I have looked a bit deeper into this. I determined that the PCM is receiving all of the correct voltages however it is not operating either the start relay or the fuel relay. I replaced the PCM and now I have the check engine light and a flashing theft light because my original key and PATS dont match which is fine. I need to tow it to our local dealer now and have another key made and the PCM flashed. I hope.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
glad you figured it out. keep us posted

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Might wanna call the dealer and verify they can/will do it. Ecu on a 2006 is married to the instrument cluster. It takes more than just getting the Pat's reprogrammed, they need to reprogram the ecu to your old instrument cluster and ford is VERY VERY iffy with doing that stuff. They got sued hard for odometer fraud which is why the instrument clusters became intertwined to the ECU. It makes what you're trying to do extremely difficult but also makes it impossible to commit odometer fraud.

You can do the keys yourself for 30 bucks if you have a laptop. Forscan software does it (free but the obd2 adapters cost 30 bucks). Just need 2 keys pre cut to your ignition. No way around the instrument cluster though... that's up to the dealer. But as I said, be warned the dealer may not want to touch it.

Last edited:

Hovey30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, this is amazing information. I might roll the dice and get a key cut and buy the obd2 adapter and software if I can find it. Thanks very much.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Forscan.org has the software. Free to download and use, need a windows laptop, dont work with apple. Go on amazon and search for "usb elm327 adapter" I forget which exact one I got, but just look in the description and make sure it says works with forscan and the reviews are good. Also make sure it has a HS/MS can switch. And as I said you MUST have TWO pre cut chipped keys ready to go before you start.

Again THIS IS JUST FOR THE KEYS. It can flash the ecu (restore it to factory settings) which I really advice against. It will absolutely NOT help with the cluster compatibility issue. You will continue to get a no start scenario until you deal with that whole disaster.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals