• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will it fit?

Gavin.b33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I have a 2003 4.0 4x4 with an auto in currently and have a 1995 4.0 4x4 5speed that I want to put in it. I’ve read that it should be able to work provided the bolting pattern is the same. Could I get a definitive answer on this as I am about to order all the parts for it?

I am also new to manuals and everything that is required during the swapping process. A good list of what I would need for it would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Gavin

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site. Check out the Tech Library section.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Not clear about what you want to do. Are you talking about a complete engine and transmission swap? Or do you just want to put the manual transmission in place of the automatic? If just swapping transmissions, Both engines are 4.0l. So the transmission bellhousing bolt patterns are the same. You would need to get the flywheel and clutch to go with the manual. You will also need the whole clutch pedal and bracket assembly plus the master cylinder. I think the thin plate between the engine and transmission might be different. So make sure you use the one for the manual transmission. I think that has something to do with positioning the starter motor. And you might need the starter motor that goes with the manual because sometimes the nose of the starter is longer or shorter. Then minor changes to the wiring because now you have a safety switch on the clutch pedal instead of the Ned on the auto transmission.

That’s all I can think of at the moment.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The pedals may swap, I’m not sure I’ve never manual swapped an ‘03.
The flywheel from the ‘95 won’t work... it’s a 6 bolt flywheel. The ‘04 is an 8 bolt.
The trans bolt pattern is slightly different... you won’t use the top right bolt.

Gavin.b33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Not clear about what you want to do. Are you talking about a complete engine and transmission swap? Or do you just want to put the manual transmission in place of the automatic? If just swapping transmissions, Both engines are 4.0l. So the transmission bellhousing bolt patterns are the same. You would need to get the flywheel and clutch to go with the manual. You will also need the whole clutch pedal and bracket assembly plus the master cylinder. I think the thin plate between the engine and transmission might be different. So make sure you use the one for the manual transmission. I think that has something to do with positioning the starter motor. And you might need the starter motor that goes with the manual because sometimes the nose of the starter is longer or shorter. Then minor changes to the wiring because now you have a safety switch on the clutch pedal instead of the Ned on the auto transmission.

That’s all I can think of at the moment.
correct, just swapping the transmissions. I was looking at the flywheel for the 1995 manual and the flywheel has 6 bolts in the center but when I look at the flex plate for my 2003 is has 8 bolts in the center. Will this be a problem fitting in the 2003 motor or will it work as long as I get everything 1995 for the transmission?

Gavin.b33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The pedals may swap, I’m not sure I’ve never manual swapped an ‘03.
The flywheel from the ‘95 won’t work... it’s a 6 bolt flywheel. The ‘04 is an 8 bolt.
The trans bolt pattern is slightly different... you won’t use the top right bolt.
so would I be wanting to buy the 8 bolt flywheel?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You need the 8 bolt flywheel for a newer truck.

Pedals, I think 1998 and newer will work, I am not totally sure about 95-97, it's a "maybe"

Gavin.b33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
You need the 8 bolt flywheel for a newer truck.

Pedals, I think 1998 and newer will work, I am not totally sure about 95-97, it's a "maybe"
I have the pedals that came with the 95 so I should be good on that. Now, if I got the 8 bolt flywheel, would it be able to fit on a clutch for a 95? If not, would I have to get a clutch for my 2003? And would that newer clutch fit in the bell housing of the 95 transmission?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think I would recommend buying a clutch to match the flywheel... so if you get a flywheel for an '03, get a clutch that fits the '03 as well. RockAuto seems to indicate that 91-97 (maybe up to 2000) clutches are different than 98 up.

The newer clutch will fit in the bellhousing just fine, it's probably just a matter of how it attaches to the flywheel. Bolts in different spots or something, I don't know for sure.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The clutch, itself, is same between, '90 and '11, so that swaps easy.

Ideally, you want both the manual transmission wiring and the manual transmission GEM from an '03 (and that might require the '03 instrument panel and PATS (from above glove box/behind airbag). Ford got sophisticated about linking all the components together - GEM, PATS and Odometer. If you don't swap all the components, you will have a check engine light on continuously.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Haha, I guess I meant the pressure plate itself, not the clutch disc.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, pressure plate and flywheel need to match. Clutch friction dis is same.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals