• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why would anyone buy a Toyota?

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
[/IMG]

I priced out a Tacoma extended cab and Ranger XLT supercab that are as close to being optioned out excatly the same. The only difference being the Tacoma is a 4 cyl 4 door access cab which has the suicide doors and the Ranger has only 2.

The Tacoma priced out at $23,027 and the Ranger XLT was $18,768......these prices include all rebates.
$4200 difference????????? No wonder the used Tacomas sell for way more money, they cost thousands more.
The thing about the Toyota that really annoys me is that you have to pay EXTRA for roadside assistance (toyo protection package).
From a financial perspective the Tacomas make no sense but I guess import brainwashing is rampant.
Both trucks handle, brake, and ride the same but the Tacoma has more giddyup with the bigger engine.
Ford dealers can be negiotiated with and Toyota dealers would just as soon throw you out into traffic than come down off of their $500- $900 dealer fees.
I went to look for one with my nephew and you feel like the salesman is doing YOU a favor by selling you a new truck.
That is the only time I ever told a salesman and his sales manager to go #$@# themselves.
Rant completed, bought him a used 2008 Ranger XL at Mullinax Ford......they just took this in on trade for a Roush mustang.

Last edited:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
good!!

they think they are selling the best truck, thats way they act like they are doing u a favor, instead of u doing them a favor buying it

Kirbot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
258 straight six
Transmission
Manual
Wow, I never realized they cost so much.
There nice truck, my brother has one from 1993, but thats crazy.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
"Why would anyone buy a Toyota?"

Because they can. It's called 'Personal Preference'

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
exactly its the same ol debate import Vs domestic Ford vs gm vs dodge

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The Toyota's don't sell for more because they cost more. They sell for more because they have a better residual value percentage. Other than that, I think it's cost. Plus the Tacoma is more midsize truck. It's WAY roomier than a Ranger.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
"Why would anyone buy a Toyota?"

Because they can. It's called 'Personal Preference'

That's just me then.......I have this ANNOYING pet peeve about getting the most for my hard earned money.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The Toyota's don't sell for more because they cost more. They sell for more because they have a better residual value percentage. Other than that, I think it's cost. Plus the Tacoma is more midsize truck. It's WAY roomier than a Ranger.

When I think of the lack of problems I have had with Rangers plus the overall price difference, you come out way ahead buying a Ranger.
When you look at the size and price of a Tacoma, you would be much better off just buying a full size truck.
As far as residual value, that only comes into play if you get a new truck every 5 years. If you keep a truck until it is dead, then residual value means nothing.
As far as insurance goes NO ONE STEALS rangers, so insurance rates are lower too.

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
People buy Toyotas because in most places they have a reputation for being far more reliable than domestics. I can't really comment on the quality of their trucks because I've never had a Toyota truck, but from my understanding it's at least as good as the S-10 I had which is pretty good. Their cars are dead reliable. My wife's Toyota has 135k miles on it and runs like it has 35k miles on it. It is by far the most reliable car I've owned.

I hear you on the value for your money front, but if that's all that matters you would (and I would) be driving a Dodge Dakota instead of a Ranger. When I was looking to buy a used truck my short list was:
1. 2005 Toyota Tacoma, the only manual one I could find was going for $22k which I felt was way to much, somebody bought it anyways.
2. 2003 Ford Ranger, the one I bought, $11k
3. 2003 Dodge Dakota, extended cab, 4x4, 4.7L V8, same miles as my Ranger $8k

It's a matter of preference. some people will pay more to get something they want more. The Dodge Dakotas ride real nice but I was scared off by Dodge's reputation for reliability.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I paid $200 for my 89 corolla 3 yrs ago, and just bought a 93 camry for $340 thats why I buy yotas................

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
[/IMG]

I priced out a Tacoma extended cab and Ranger XLT supercab that are as close to being optioned out excatly the same. The only difference being the Tacoma is a 4 cyl 4 door access cab which has the suicide doors and the Ranger has only 2.

The Tacoma priced out at $23,027 and the Ranger XLT was $18,768......these prices include all rebates.
$4200 difference????????? No wonder the used Tacomas sell for way more money, they cost thousands more.
The thing about the Toyota that really annoys me is that you have to pay EXTRA for roadside assistance (toyo protection package).
From a financial perspective the Tacomas make no sense but I guess import brainwashing is rampant.
Both trucks handle, brake, and ride the same but the Tacoma has more giddyup with the bigger engine.
Ford dealers can be negiotiated with and Toyota dealers would just as soon throw you out into traffic than come down off of their $500- $900 dealer fees.
I went to look for one with my nephew and you feel like the salesman is doing YOU a favor by selling you a new truck.
That is the only time I ever told a salesman and his sales manager to go #$@# themselves.
Rant completed, bought him a used 2008 Ranger XL at Mullinax Ford......they just took this in on trade for a Roush mustang.
I don't know what you are talking about. My wife and I drove a new 2010
4wd Ranger Super cab at our local Ford dealership last thursday and It was crap compared to the 4wd V6 Tocoma. Here is what we did last Friday afternoon... My wife and I went with my buddy to pick up his 2010 Tacoma 4 door v6 4wd last Friday. He paid $25,00 for it. It is such a nice ridding truck. I really liked driving it. My wife and I took it out for a day to Busch Gardens in Tampa and then to supper. I liked it real bad. But....I want a new SUV with a hatch back and I am going to keep my 99 Ranger. We will give my niece our 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd and she will use that for collage. We have an 03 Corolla we really like with 48,00 miles on it.

This was on his sticker: Fully loaded power everything

2010 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab, V6 Automatic 4-Door 4WD Pickup
Destination Fee $810
Options $0
Total $26,460* Price does not include advertising or applicable.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
BTW the Toyota is NOT a compact Pickup, the Ranger is, your comparing apples to oranges here. Of course the Ranger should be cheaper, it's smaller and has not had a serious design change since the 20th CENTURY.

L454S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Taco/Ranger

My son has an 05 Taco with the 2.7 4 cyl/auto, access cab. It is a nice truck, but it only gets about 22 mpg highway. We checked it several times.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
My son has an 05 Taco with the 2.7 4 cyl/auto, access cab. It is a nice truck, but it only gets about 22 mpg highway. We checked it several times.
How much were you expecting for an extended cab automatic pickup? Doesn't sound bad to me.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
People buy Toyotas because in most places they have a reputation for being far more reliable than domestics. I can't really comment on the quality of their trucks because I've never had a Toyota truck, but from my understanding it's at least as good as the S-10 I had which is pretty good. Their cars are dead reliable. My wife's Toyota has 135k miles on it and runs like it has 35k miles on it. It is by far the most reliable car I've owned.

I hear you on the value for your money front, but if that's all that matters you would (and I would) be driving a Dodge Dakota instead of a Ranger. When I was looking to buy a used truck my short list was:
1. 2005 Toyota Tacoma, the only manual one I could find was going for $22k which I felt was way to much, somebody bought it anyways.
2. 2003 Ford Ranger, the one I bought, $11k
3. 2003 Dodge Dakota, extended cab, 4x4, 4.7L V8, same miles as my Ranger $8k

It's a matter of preference. some people will pay more to get something they want more. The Dodge Dakotas ride real nice but I was scared off by Dodge's reputation for reliability.

If you like the Dakota and want to save a bunch of money, get a Mitsubishi Raider. Aside from exterior styling differences they are the same as the Dakota so they don't sell many and they can be had dirt cheap!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals