• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why don't 3.0L headers for late model Rangers (1999-2005) fit in earlier model Rangers (91-99)?

Jeffercise

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 1991 Ford Ranger with a 3.0L V6. I want what 90% of 3.0L owners want; headers! lol I can find 3.0L headers that will fit a 1999 Ranger, but no earlier. Is there a reason (besides EGR) that late model headers won't fit the earlier body styles for the same 3.0L engine? #2muchResearch

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's something different with the Y pipes. Headers for older 3.0s came with a Y pipe as well. A y pipe shouldn't be that hard for an exhaust shop to figure out if you really want to use newer headers

Jeffercise

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thank you for the clarification. So it's nothing to do with fitment on the heads? My main concern is simply clearance of the starter, oil filter, and steering column. My plan is to run the headers together through an X-pipe and then exit with dual exhaust.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 3.0 really didn't change much over the years, at least not the hard points. So the heads, starter, oil filter, etc that are all related to the engine should be fine.
The chassis did change in 98, so things like the steering shaft, or frame crossmembers are the things that could cause issues for you.

That being said, I know that I've seen a thread where newer headers were used on an older truck so it can be done. But it's probably been at least a decade since that happened, so the specific details aren't fresh in my mind. It wasn't a flawless bolt-in but I don't recall anything major being an issue besides the Y pipe. Nothing that's a deal breaker.

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
I recently decided to bite the bullet and buy a set for my 97 even though they aren't listed as fitting. They do in fact fit. I was worried that maybe they wouldn't fit since the chassis on a 98 is a lot different than a 97 or older truck, but there's still plenty of clearance with these on. There's plenty of clearance around the steering shaft, which is what I was most worried about. Unfortunately, I can't say if the y pipe on my truck would've bolted up because the bolts were seized in the manifold so I cut it to get it all out.

Before buying these I did a bit of research. If you look up stock replacement exhaust manifolds, Dorman has the same part numbers for a 97 and 98 3.0 ranger. But, on the driver's side manifold, they have the two different EGR connections (the 97 and 98 use different EGR fittings on the manifold, so Dorman just makes one that works for both applications). This leads me to believe that my stock y pipe would've bolted up, since the stock manifolds are interchangeable between the two years (other than EGR).

However, I also tried cross referencing an older Ranger, a 94 3.0 to see if those manifolds were still the same part numbers just for kicks. Those did not match part numbers, and they did look a little different. So, there's definitely a possibility in some older trucks that a custom y pipe will need to be made, along with the EGR tube (if you're keeping EGR). But, neither of those are a big deal.

The only clearance issue I ran into was that the throttle cable ended up being very close to the header, so I ziptied it out of the way. And on the passenger side I zip tied some of the vacuum lines a bit further away from the header too. Those are the only things I had to change for these to go on my truck. I can't guarantee that they'll fit in all older trucks, but I hope this helps.

Here they are in my truck, and I also added a picture of the EGR tube I modified to work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals