• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whose done a explorer 5.0L swap into a 96-97 ranger ?

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
whose done an explorer 5.0L swap into a 96-97 ranger ?

a quick question presented to those who have experience with the 96-97 wiring: im wondering how "compatible" the 96-97 explorer 5.0L engine harness is with a 96-97 ranger dash harness ? i know the three part gang plug under the booster is similar but im guessing its not just plug and play ?

Last edited:

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
You're only really looking at the single 42 pin harness connector from truck to engine harness.
The three firewall plugs on the Ranger lead to the fusebox and headlights, and the 42 pin.
There are no dash concerns other than re-pinning the tach.

Only real concern may be the alternator wiring, as your Ranger alt harness is completely independent, some (all?) years of Ex may tie into the fuse box. Not a big deal.

(My experience here is from the '97 Ranger I have, and the '96 Explorer 5.0 that I parted.)

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the info, so im assuming then that the 2.3L 3.0L and 4.0L all use a different harness beyond the 42 pin connector, but from the dash to that 42 pin connector the wiring is the same regardless of engine size ? sounds like a stupid question i realize, but the reason i ask is that i am "shifting gears" so to speak with this whole project, my ranger is an '01 edge and ive already gutted the cab, i have a 5.0L and all related stuff from a 96 explorer, so rather than try and fit the 96 explorer body wiring into the '01 cab, im thinking that it makes more sense to re-wire the cab with all '96 ranger wiring, which will be less than half the work

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
There is no need to rewire the cab was the point I was getting at.

My original engine was a 4.0 OHV.
This is an example of why you want an EVTM for each vehicle, that way you can view the pins in C124 (the 42pin) for yourself. You won't see much variation, other than obvious stuff like autotrans controls, 4wd controls, circuits that may or may not be present and may or may not be re-used.

My truck has a Mustang-based engine harness that I made. Connections to the 42 pin were limited to power, grounds, ignition hot/run/crank, O2 power, VSS, gauges, nothing too radical once you have a look at some diagrams.

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
its easy if you understand the EVTM... for those of us that dont... (like myself) its much easier to ask for help from people that do know what they are doing.. ok, i'll throw it out there.. it may be that i am just stupid

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its easy if you understand the EVTM... for those of us that dont... (like myself) its much easier to ask for help from people that do know what they are doing.. ok, i'll throw it out there.. it may be that i am just stupid
Don't feel like the only one with wiring. Don't feel like the first one that has striped out too much wiring. Mechanicaly, I'm alright. Wiring: Black to Black, White to White and Green can go anywhere, house type experience.
Dave

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
wiring is not my strong point, the schematics may as well be written in 3rd century chinese. i can study an EVTM for 5 hours and into the 6th hour i still dont understand it.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Simplest thing that I have found to do with wiring is to take it one wire at a time. Find one, such as the temp, and see what it hooked to on the donar vehicle then see what your vehicle setup is.

Trust me I hate wiring, but take your time and do it right the first time, you wont have to mess with it again.

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
until i happened upon rangerSVT's thread about doing his 96 swap, i had no idea that ANY year ranger was plug and play with the explorer V8 engine/ECM harness, i gutted the '01 with the intent of using all the 96 explorer "inboard" wiring and just adapt it to the ranger body... sounds easy enough, just taking one main harness and re-routing it to fit a different body, considering that the ranger cab is probably less than half the size of the explorer, that would still be plenty of work. makes more sense to me to just re-wire the cab with 96 ranger wiring and it should be plug and play with the 96 explorer swap wiring, for me that is the easiest method,

Riq21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The key to the evtms is to get into just one simple section, say radio, and understand what all the symbolism means. Learn that plugs and connections are called out on just about every page, then you need to find that plug towards the end of evtm to understand how the wires come together. Wiring colors are explained at the beginning of the evtm so you need to learn them. They are marked clearly on every page of the book. Also, the first page of every section is merely an overview of the entire system being discussed. Look at that first to see if you are in the right spot. If so, turn the page and go further, it is all in there. Look closely at the ground section and understand what is going on there also. While I am not a genius at wiring, I have gotten to a point (after several prompts for the experts here) where I can troubleshoot my own issues now and I do not fear repining the 43 pin plug or lengthing the section of harness going to the PCM. Trust yourself and get in there and learn. It is just another discipline you can put on your resume. These guys will only help you so far if you are not willing to help yourself.

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As Riq also stated, I have some EVTM tips:

Each circuit that goes to the ECU will have an ECU pin #. Each circuit has a circuit #, and at least one colour.
Any connectors a circuit passes through will show a connector # at THAT connector...
One you follow a few circuits start-to-finish, you pick up on it. Fortunately, there is no math involved, it's all laid out right in front of you!

And if you need a real-world check, you check continuity with a voltmeter on the actual wiring :)

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
well i just found a 96 ranegr EVTM for $12 shipped so i guess its time to become familiar with these things, i spend hours reading books about the coins i collect, so why not force this into my brain once and for all

Last edited:

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
well, i received the ranger EVTM, its the wiring diagrams in the back of the chiltons/haynes manuals that confused the bajezuz out of me. the EVTM is easy to understand. just waiting on the 96 explorer EVTM to arrive so i can finish the wiring, im using the explorer dash harness (because it already has the plug for the overhead console/compass/lighted visors, and the wiring to the full length console) im going to re-pin the ranger plugs to match the explorer plugs. difficult to believe the amount of difference in the ranger wiring vs the explorer wiring both being from a 96 but with both EVTMs and a basic understanding of what needs to go where, ill get it done. in the meantime i found a nice little spot for my keyless entry module, it fits perfectly under the drivers seat. originally i planned to mount it in the drivers rear door similar to the mounting location in the extended cab, but it fits really well with plenty of clearance from the power seat mechanism. this will require the harness to the personality module to be shortened which should be easier than trying to feed all those wires through the harness boot that goes to the rear door, and will look much nicer. will post a pic when my AA's recharge

macenc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
The starter harness and alternator should be easy enough to figure out.
Is the 42 pin conector, plug and play, with the exception of the tach ? I also have a 97/97 swap happening.
My Ranger dash doesn't have a tach ??? If I remember correctly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals