• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whos all in the military?

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys looking at joining up. Wanna know any insights y'all might have if you've beenthrough the enlistment process? Mostly looking at either the marines or busting my ass to get to be a ranger in the army.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm in the Air Force, I can't say much about them other than the enlistment process. If you have any questions though fire away.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Join the AF and you might live longer. It is a long time 'till we are fully out of the mid east. Just go in healthy and make sure if you ever get hurt on duty (as I have been) you keep all your medical records. I am a disabled vet and I have been fighting the VA for a long time!!!
The only regret I have is not getting ALL my medical records when I went to different hospitals in different countries and states I was stationed in for any medical attention for several injuries on duty or in combat training and also for diving injuries and EOD training. The VA seems to have misplaced some of mine or said I have no proof that I was injured other then what I have records of.

Just CYA (cover your ass).

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
144 "Thriftpower", 2.4 MIVEC
Transmission
Manual
I would recommend staying out, but that's just me. My experience is that everything they tell you is a lie, they will screw you over every step of the way, and the only superiors that actually care about you, are the ones that can't do much to help you.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
The problem with the enlistment process is, that your recruiters went through basic training and AIT at a minimum of 6 years ago, and they come up with new rules and new ways to train almost daily. Thats the curse of TRADOC (Training and Doctrine Command) bases (the ones where you do Basic and AIT at). So if you really want to get a better idea of the recruitment process and what happens afterwards, ask your recruiters if they have someone there thats doing the "Hometown Recruiting Program", and tell them you'd like to speak to them if there is one. Chances are they have one or two Privates that just got out of AIT somewhere nearby thats in the program.

I just recently got out of the Army myself, so I know how it is.

If your aiming to be a ranger, thats gonna be tough. You *MIGHT* get EXTREMELY lucky and get attached to a ranger unit, and if that happens they'll almost definitely send you to Ranger school. But if not, then you'll have to really haul balls at your job and show them that your high speed and can handle yourself....then you'll have to talk to your senior NCO's to get the ball rolling to get you into Ranger school.

Its a long road, and if you go Ranger... be ready to re-enlist. You may not be able to get it until you re-up. Its not uncommon for "schools", such as Ranger School/Airborne/Air Assault, to be part of a reenlistment bonus.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'd think about trying to be a Paramedic in the Air Force. badazz as they come. one of the toughest schools in any branch. and you get the added bonus of being trained to help your fellow soldiers/airmen/marines when they need help the most. just a thought.

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well I guess my next question then is how are the physical requirements to get in? I'm in shape... clean & jerk 250 but I've had shoulder surgery. And how hard is it to get into say airborne school or to be trained as a paramedic? Do you have a lot of choice or do they just tell you what you're gonna do based off ASVAB?

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i'd think about trying to be a Paramedic in the Air Force. badazz as they come. one of the toughest schools in any branch. and you get the added bonus of being trained to help your fellow soldiers/airmen/marines when they need help the most. just a thought.
Not to mention that the paramedic skills can easily be used when you get out after you have served your country. There is ALWAYS a need for qualified medical personel.

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
BTW... I've almost got my bachelors degree and I'm an eagle scout. I know that affects stuff too,right?

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i wouldnt suggest the navy, im in, and it sucks!!!!

Just kidding, well partially. It sucks for me now, since all im doing is chipping paint every day since our ship is getting overhauled. But when i actually get to work on equipment as my rate (electronics tech) i enjoy it for the most part.

Couldnt tell you much about any other branch.

Although i went on a coast guard ship, and im kind of wishing i would have looked into that before signing up for the navy. Idk there schedule as far as how often they are underway or what it like. But the looks of it, and from what guys on the ship i was on told me its better then the navy. Certainly more work within what you signed up for, since its a crew of only 18-20 compared to a crew of 300 plus. It seems more of your important then being just another number like bigger ships.

but thats my opinon anyway

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I guess my next question then is how are the physical requirements to get in? I'm in shape... clean & jerk 250 but I've had shoulder surgery. And how hard is it to get into say airborne school or to be trained as a paramedic? Do you have a lot of choice or do they just tell you what you're gonna do based off ASVAB?

Its a mix of both, but more the asvab tells you what your going to do. I wanted to work on electronics, and after taking the asvab as was able to choose electronic technition, avation electronics technition, or paramedic. The first two made sense, i have no idea why the offered me paramedic, i dont as far as know have any above average medical knowledge, or even an interest to work in that field lol. But i had somewhat of a choice. They ask you what you want to do, and list the jobs closest to what you want according to what the asvab says your capable of.

But for instance if you want to work on nuclear reactors, and your score on the asvab shows that you not smart enough, they wont even offer it to you. They will give you a few choices of (for a lack of better terms) a job that requires less brain capacity.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
When the recruiters were trying their best at me. I finally had the nerve to start telling them that I died. I guess it worked until recently. For some reason, when I go back to college, they start calling me again. :icon_confused:

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
144 "Thriftpower", 2.4 MIVEC
Transmission
Manual
i wouldnt suggest the navy, im in, and it sucks!!!!

Just kidding, well partially. It sucks for me now, since all im doing is chipping paint every day since our ship is getting overhauled. But when i actually get to work on equipment as my rate (electronics tech) i enjoy it for the most part.

Couldnt tell you much about any other branch.

Although i went on a coast guard ship, and im kind of wishing i would have looked into that before signing up for the navy. Idk there schedule as far as how often they are underway or what it like. But the looks of it, and from what guys on the ship i was on told me its better then the navy. Certainly more work within what you signed up for, since its a crew of only 18-20 compared to a crew of 300 plus. It seems more of your important then being just another number like bigger ships.

but thats my opinon anyway
It seems like mostly us in the Navy that really hate the military. I can count on one hand the number of guys I know that really love it. On the other hand, pretty much every Air Force guy I've ever met loves their job. It may just be a branch thing.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It seems like mostly us in the Navy that really hate the military. I can count on one hand the number of guys I know that really love it. On the other hand, pretty much every Air Force guy I've ever met loves their job. It may just be a branch thing.
I haven't served in the Armed Forces, but I respect those who do with the highest honor. :headbang:

I get the same vibe from those in the Marines. They love what they do and are proud to have served in the Corps or are proud to do so.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
do yourself a really BIG, BIG favor... get your degree BEFORE going into service!!! then go in as an officer. the benefits to that are more than worth the wait, imho.

i always thought of services this way:

Navy... electronics and aircraft mechanics training/careers

Air Force... electronics and medical training/careers

Army... medical, aircraft/vehicle mechanics, and management training/careers

Marines... vehicle/aircraft mechanics

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals