• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which shocks?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Again, thanks, all y'all. Not a high Rider, but I still like it. Now I have a chance at an '86 4X4, 5sp, extended cab and 4-banger with a camper shell. Five hundred bucks, should I jump on it?
Got a picture of the camper shell?? haha! I'd recommend it for sure

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I absolutely hated my Rancho shocks (rode like shit). :annoyed:
Too late for me. They are sitting on the garage floor waiting for all the parts for the suspension mod to come in. I was originally looking at Bilstein but couldn't figure out what would fit with the pre-key mod and axle blocks for sure. I considered KYB as well but ran into the same problem. Rancho was the only ones that were listed as fitting what I needed.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Again, thanks, all y'all. Not a high Rider, but I still like it. Now I have a chance at an '86 4X4, 5sp, extended cab and 4-banger with a camper shell. Five hundred bucks, should I jump on it?
That sounds like a no brainer... if you're gonna drive old Rangers... might as well have two.

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah like the old Broncos I had. Light blue and dark blue, '71 and '70. My wife keeps wishin' we still had 'em, but one was more rust than metal and the other we gave to our daughter and son-in-law. She does kinda understand that when you go to buy parts now for those old things, ain't nothin' cheap.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Too late for me. They are sitting on the garage floor waiting for all the parts for the suspension mod to come in. I was originally looking at Bilstein but couldn't figure out what would fit with the pre-key mod and axle blocks for sure. I considered KYB as well but ran into the same problem. Rancho was the only ones that were listed as fitting what I needed.
Yeah both Bilstein and KYB are pretty bad about that...

The way I approached this issue many years ago for my '94 was to cross-reference the length of a shock (say Rancho or Superlift) that was known to fit in KYB's catalog. IIRC, the ones I ended up using were also listed as fitting the forward position on a '79 F-150 with the "Quad-Shock" option, I think they were 19.5" ext. length and fits a TTB RBV with 4-5" lift.

FWIW, if all you did was the pre-'08 keys and blocks, you should be able to order shocks to fit a 2007 truck and have them fit.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ll have to remember that in the future.

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just as a follow up, yesterday I got four Ranchos installed right in the parkin' lot at work.
My mechanic showed up about 09:30, and would've finished up in less than a couple of hours except that since he's popular in the community everybody in town stopped in to talk. Only cost me a hair over 400 bucks, with shocks, shipping, tax, labor and his 25 dollar charge for comin' on-site to do the work.
Seems to've raised the truck maybe an inch or so. Didn't measure before or after, since it really don't make too much difference in the great scheme of things.

truckfan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced my shocks with Bilsteins a few months ago. They are a bit stiff but ride quality is still good. No handling problems whatsoever. Got these shocks from 4wheelonline.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals