• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which one would you buy? Would I be dumb if I bought one at those prices?

MaD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Both are sexy as hell, I think I'd rather have the 5.0
Screenshot_20231125-174914.png
Screenshot_20231125-174927.png

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Id have to bite the bullet and buy BOTH.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I don't think I could bring myself to spend that much on either of those.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I like them both. One is full-size and the other is a smaller Ranger size. Both look nice in the photos. Really, you need to decide how you will use the truck and what you want out of it.

If I had to decide, it would be tough. I like the spaciousness of the full-size truck. But I prefer the smaller size for most of my offroad adventures, mostly in width. I travel a lot of narrow, tighter trails. The wheelbase of the larger truck isn't a problem. The 2.9l is a very capable engine for the Bronco II. It has a few minor quirks. But it's a good, solid platform.

Price? I'm divorced and broke. I can't afford either one. Also, I would be taking it offroad in Rock's, mud, trees, brush, etc. I prefer to spend less initially and then do my customizing and.make the truck what I really want. At those prices, I wouldn't buy either one. But keep in mind, I recently bought an F250 Superduty for $4800 as a tow rig and I'm repairing it as I go. In the next couple weeks, I'll be finishing the majority of repairs that truck needs. It will be stronger and more capable than it was brand new and I'll still have less than $10k in it.

Perhaps others can give you advice regarding the price. But it still boils down to; What do you expect from the truck and what skills or money do you have to use to maintain and modify it for your use?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So, the 5.0 powered one is the full-size Bronco with the factory removable top and the other is the Ranger based Bronco (II). So I don’t know exactly what you’re looking for.

Pre-Covid, those prices would be stupid. Now, I don’t know. The real question becomes if they are what they claim to be (there’s a lot of misrepresentation among vehicles, especially older ones). Beyond that it’s what you’re looking for and what you’re willing to pay for it.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
To much for me. I would pass

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That full-size Bronco probably cost that much or less when it was brand new. I bought a 1988 F150 4x4, 5.0l new off the lot in 1987 for $14k. It wasn't the Eddie Bauer trim level. So, that would have brought the price up a few thousand. But, I bet sticker price on that Bronco wasn't much different from what they're asking now, 36 years later, with miles on it.

Reactions: MaD

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If they are as shiny and clean in person as they appear in the photos, they might be worth it from the stand point of you shouldn’t have much to do on them.

If they are just a polished exterior and worn out underneath, I wouldn’t pay that much.

Chances are good this would be a cash in hand kind of deal with no loan or payment plan. If the vehicle looks good and you have the money, they are probably worth it.

Of the two, I would prefer the Bronco II. I have no need for a full size vehicle.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I waste stupid money on pointless stuff that I don’t need. I wouldn’t pay those prices. I’d much rather buy one that needs work and rebuild it myself.

And I’d never buy another full size Bronco of that generation unless it had a 351W… personal preference.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Dad bought 2 full size broncos new, a ‘89 302 4-speed manual for 23K and a ‘96 351 auto for 31K. I dont know what a new B2 went for back in the day.
But on the subject of insanity, A local stealership has a 62 falcon based ranchero for 30K. 289/auto in bright red. I doubt that was much over 3K new in its day.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wouldn't spend that much on either, but the full size one is priced closer to reality than the BII.

MaD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I like them both. One is full-size and the other is a smaller Ranger size. Both look nice in the photos. Really, you need to decide how you will use the truck and what you want out of it.

If I had to decide, it would be tough. I like the spaciousness of the full-size truck. But I prefer the smaller size for most of my offroad adventures, mostly in width. I travel a lot of narrow, tighter trails. The wheelbase of the larger truck isn't a problem. The 2.9l is a very capable engine for the Bronco II. It has a few minor quirks. But it's a good, solid platform.

Price? I'm divorced and broke. I can't afford either one. Also, I would be taking it offroad in Rock's, mud, trees, brush, etc. I prefer to spend less initially and then do my customizing and.make the truck what I really want. At those prices, I wouldn't buy either one. But keep in mind, I recently bought an F250 Superduty for $4800 as a tow rig and I'm repairing it as I go. In the next couple weeks, I'll be finishing the majority of repairs that truck needs. It will be stronger and more capable than it was brand new and I'll still have less than $10k in it.

Perhaps others can give you advice regarding the price. But it still boils down to; What do you expect from the truck and what skills or money do you have to use to maintain and modify it for your use?
I keep eyeing the blue one with the 5.0. I have enough for a good down payment. I would mainly preserve it and keep it a pavement princess haha. I'm fixing up an 89 2.3 ranger right now. Most likely I won't get either, but I'll keep dreaming of em lol. I keep thinking about of much more of an insane price they'll be in the future.

MaD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So, the 5.0 powered one is the full-size Bronco with the factory removable top and the other is the Ranger based Bronco (II). So I don’t know exactly what you’re looking for.

Pre-Covid, those prices would be stupid. Now, I don’t know. The real question becomes if they are what they claim to be (there’s a lot of misrepresentation among vehicles, especially older ones). Beyond that it’s what you’re looking for and what you’re willing to pay for it.
Not full fledge looking lol just day dreaming.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Neither is a great deal for sure. I’ve seen worse. Try pricing a restored Toyota FJ, and not the newer FJ Cruiser.

They are good for someone who is unable or unwilling to restore a vehicle. But for someone who can and is willing, they can find a better deal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals