• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

where to put it...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
but can the radio antenna still be used for the radio??

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
the stainless whip that is on there now is cut, several feet out of it actually. its was either 96" or 102" dont remember but was deffinantly too long.
I'm actually surprised you're still getting more than a half mile.
Like Spott said, antennas are tuned for proper resonance on the operating frequency. By cutting it shorter, you've thrown off that resonance and the antenna no longer works properly (not to mention, the resulting high SWR can burn out your radio).

If you need a short antenna, it's best to get one that's designed shorter which has a loading coil of some sort to re-establish resonance at the shorter length. IIRC, Firestik makes antennas as short as two feet, which should work 10× better than that cut whip when mounted in the clear.

Yep.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes. it's a little box with a switch and you select for the am/fm radio or the cb. there is a tuning knob and led that lets you fine tune for the cb. the main connector from the am/fm antenna plugs into the box. there are 2 cables coming out. one for the am/fm radio with the correct motorola plug. the other is a cb cable with a pl-259 on the end of it for your cb.
admittedly, it probably isn't as good as the Little Wil's or the Fire Sticks, but for the convenience and simplicity of having only one antenna, maybe something you'll want to consider. they are pretty readily available on ebay.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm actually surprised you're still getting more than a half mile.
Like Spott said, antennas are tuned for proper resonance on the operating frequency. By cutting it shorter, you've thrown off that resonance and the antenna no longer works properly (not to mention, the resulting high SWR can burn out your radio).

If you need a short antenna, it's best to get one that's designed shorter which has a loading coil of some sort to re-establish resonance at the shorter length. IIRC, Firestik makes antennas as short as two feet, which should work 10× better than that cut whip when mounted in the clear.

Yep.
i didnt know that was the case with the stainless whips, i knew thats how the fiberglass ones were.

yes. it's a little box with a switch and you select for the am/fm radio or the cb. there is a tuning knob and led that lets you fine tune for the cb. the main connector from the am/fm antenna plugs into the box. there are 2 cables coming out. one for the am/fm radio with the correct motorola plug. the other is a cb cable with a pl-259 on the end of it for your cb.
admittedly, it probably isn't as good as the Little Wil's or the Fire Sticks, but for the convenience and simplicity of having only one antenna, maybe something you'll want to consider. they are pretty readily available on ebay.
i might have to look into that, i really only need about a mile range

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
decided on the rear corner in a nice spot out of the way with a nice wilson tunable antenna

khkeener

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V-6
Transmission
Manual
Similar situation, different requirements - I'm looking for suggestions on where to mount my CB antenna. I'll be driving cross country from Detroit to California next month and want to have my CB for the convenience of "why is the traffic stopped" to getting weather reports. I'm looking at using a Firestik based on reading the recommendations in this forum but I'm not sure where a good place to mount it would be. My Ranger has a truck topper and the rest is all stock. I want to avoid any drilling/cutting so I'm pretty limited in my options.

Any ideas?

Kevin

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would go with a mag mount on top of the cab for something like that

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Similar situation, different requirements - I'm looking for suggestions on where to mount my CB antenna. I'll be driving cross country from Detroit to California next month and want to have my CB for the convenience of "why is the traffic stopped" to getting weather reports. I'm looking at using a Firestik based on reading the recommendations in this forum but I'm not sure where a good place to mount it would be. My Ranger has a truck topper and the rest is all stock. I want to avoid any drilling/cutting so I'm pretty limited in my options.

Any ideas?

Kevin
You're smart with wanting to go with a firestik. Use this mount:

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/all-other-cb-mounts-86/truck-stakehole-firestik-cb-antenna-mount-screw-on-247.html

That's what your looking for, and firestik makes a good antenna. Be sure to get one with a tuneable tip!

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the hood mount or a mag on the center of the roof would be best for you imo you'd be able to talk/receive better to people ahead of you

khkeener

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V-6
Transmission
Manual
Unfortunately, I won't be able to go with a rear bed mount because:

I had thought about a mag mount; actually I still have one that I used with my Mazda B3000 but don't like the idea of the cable running across the top and the chance of it scoring the clear coat/paint.

One thing I had been thinking of was an adapter or bolt-on that would fit where the third brake light is. Since the topper already has its own brake light, I don't really need a functioning one on the truck.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well if this guy,

Could put a tonneau on over this mount, I don't see why you couldn't do the same with your topper. The mount might need a slight bend put into it, but otherwise...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals