• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

where did this dana 30 come from?

h3o

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anyway just picked up this dana 30 from a kid who needed some cash

anyways its a lp dana 30 with the non vaccumm disconnect, has 3.73 gearing and a lsd. Also is setup for a 4 link with springs. The wierd thing is that it has a cv shaft on one side and a u joint shaft on the other side. anyone have any clue where this is from and im pretty sure i got a good deal at only $60.
o and the lug pattern is the same as the ranger.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
LP set-up for coil spring is most likely from a TJ... I think someone probably swapped in one of the shafts not knowing what the other was... I wouldn't put a D30 under a Ranger unless it was a 2wd (being that an SAS would be easier than converting to TTB 4WD)...

h3o

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
LP set-up for coil spring is most likely from a TJ... I think someone probably swapped in one of the shafts not knowing what the other was... I wouldn't put a D30 under a Ranger unless it was a 2wd (being that an SAS would be easier than converting to TTB 4WD)...
this axle was bought for mock up,

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
I would be more likely to say its from a Grand Cherokee and the stock CV shaft failed and was replaced with a u-joint style shaft.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Now that I think about it, it's probably either from an XJ or a ZJ... A TJ shaft wouldn't have any CV joints in it...

h3o

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
o well when i do sell it how much is a good asking price for it?

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
free to scrap, the one u-joint shaft may be worth something if its the big u-joint shaft but being a lp not many people are gonna wanna buy it sine the HP is high avaliable in just about any xj, probally being why that was pulled to swap from lp to hp in a grand cherokee or TJ

h3o

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
free to scrap, the one u-joint shaft may be worth something if its the big u-joint shaft but being a lp not many people are gonna wanna buy it sine the HP is high avaliable in just about any xj, probally being why that was pulled to swap from lp to hp in a grand cherokee or TJ
is the lsd worthless then?

_Kyle_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
It's from a ZJ (93-98 Grand Cherokee) UNLESS the owner replaced a ujoint shaft with a cv shaft - which makes zero sense. But ZJs were the only Dana 30 i'm aware of to ever have CV shafts and the 3.73 gears assures it came from a V8 ZJ. If it's in good shape and complete, $100 would be a fair price thought not many people would be interested in it most likely since it is a Low Pinion. The shafts could be sold though for $30 or so a peice, maybe $40 with hubs would be pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Nobody wants a LP D30 unless they are looking for something to break. I was given a HP.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals