• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

When to replace water pump

joecool85

Reaction score
My brother's pump died on his 2002 Ram w/4.7 V8 yesterday (on his way from moving from Maine to New Jersey, luckily it broke while in Maine and close to the folks house). He had to fix it on the side of the road in the rain. And by fix I mean replace the water pump.

Anyway, it got me thinking. His truck has 126k miles, mine has 146k. I've never replaced my pump. When do these go on the 3.0 normally? Also, am I correct there aren't really any warning signs and they just kind of give up and let go at some point?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It depends on what goes out on it. Aside from the pump leaking out the weap hole the more common failures are the fins rotting out (which would show itself by running warmer than usual and then leading to overheating) or the bearings going out which would be audible. If you're that worried about it regularly checking for leaking, fixing any strange noises that arise, and keeping an eye on your gauges should be sufficient.

That being said they're only $20 or $30 new. If you want the peace of mind that's a pretty manageable expense if you're going to do it on your own.

joecool85

Reaction score
I'll stop worrying then. I'll just keep an eye out for leaks and noises which I do anyways. I will probably replace it when I go ahead and do my hoses and thermostat.

Is it an easy install? I seem to remember reading about needing a special tool to get the fan off. Or was that just the fan clutch not the whole assembly?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You don't necessarily need a special tool to get the fan clutch off. You just need to get the clutch off of the pulley on the water pump. The special "tool" is a belt strap that wraps around the pulley and keeps it from moving; if you have an old belt and some vice grips you can make your own version for free.

As for difficulty it's not terribly difficult but I did mine when the engine was out of the truck so I'm not sure what all you have to remove to get at it.

krs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I just took the fan and fan clutch out - for me it was a bit of a hassle (I see a few threads on the forum about it), but not (too) bad...

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
hammer and chissle takes the fan off in usually one well aimed hit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals