• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel and Tire Guidange Needed

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Wheel and Tire Guidance Needed

I have been doing some research on the forums and the Tech Library to replace my stock rims that are slowly rusting away. I think I have what I need, but before I go and drop a ton of money on new wheel and tires I want to make sure I don't waste a ton of money on parts that will not work. I'm not looking for anything extreme, I want to try to stay inside the stock flares if possible and want to retain my full turning radius (no rubbing).

Currently the truck has no lift of any kind, but I am planning on doing some kind of leveling when I install the new tires.

So here are the Wheels I think will do the trick.
ProComp Series 98

• 16x8
  • BS 4.250 in.
  • Offset: -6.00mm

And the tires
Wrangler DuraTrac
  • LT245/75R16
  • Dia: 30.5"

According to the tire size chart in the tech lib, this SHOULD work with the 1.5"~2" lift in the front from leveling the truck.

Any guidance and input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
30's should fit fine with stock suspension. I'd go for it.

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Cool thanks for the green light on the tires, my big question though is on the rims, width/backspacing

DieselTech07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1997 1994
Make / Model
Ford Ford FORD
Engine Size
2.3 3.0 3.0
Transmission
Manual
I am running 235/85/r16 (31.7") on stock RBV 16x7" steel wheels right now on my 1994 4X4 reg cab -same body style as yours with no lift/sagging springs and I cant recall them ever rubing.

only tires I have ran so far that rubbed turning at the locks were 33/12.50/15 stock wheels 15x7 and they didn't rub very badly-also with no lift

as far as the tread pattern you are looking at, we run the same pattern at work (bus co mechanic) on the 1 ton service truck that we use to pull school buses out of the ditches on back roads that are mainly mud/snow/ice. they dig/slip some but they do the job and we have not gotten stuck ourselves yet

oh and I see you have the 3.0L motor that I have with the 5 speed I really have to slip the clutch to get started on hills running tall tires, I have driven almost 50,000 miles on the clutch that the previous owner told me he had just installed and I am hoping to make it to at least 100,000 on this clutch

Last edited:

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
as far as the tread pattern you are looking at, we run the same pattern at work (bus co mechanic) on the 1 ton service truck that we use to pull school buses out of the ditches on back roads that are mainly mud/snow/ice. they dig/slip some but they do the job and we have not gotten stuck ourselves yet
Thanks for the first hand on the tires, in all honesty I picked those tires because they had the best "Coolness" to price ratio from what I would consider a top tier manufacturer.

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
oh and I see you have the 3.0L motor that I have with the 5 speed I really have to slip the clutch to get started on hills running tall tires, I have driven almost 50,000 miles on the clutch that the previous owner told me he had just installed and I am hoping to make it to at least 100,000 on this clutch
Just saw that you added this to your post, I have 4.10 gears, so I don't think that will be as big of an issue for me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals