• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

>> What's da word on low-temperature (propane) "welding" rods?

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
I first saw this on the very dark flick 'The Counselor', where the shady cartel body shop (who also treated gunshot wounds, lol), used a beefy stick of solder to patch a bullet hole in a tanker truck, and even fill-in the dent, a la Bondo, then spray paint it to match... but I figured, OK, that's Hollyweird for you. Then this past fall, the Google spy-bots started flooding me with ads for all these different sizes and brands of same...

"Works for steel, copper, aluminum, brass,... CURES BALDNESS, etc... " all accompanied by examples of how strong the finished "weld" is, etc... since none of the (ChiCom?) sellers has resorted to using hot cleavage babes for the demo reels, I figure maybe it's legit...??

What say ye RKIs, who have done it all, seen it all... but are open to new technology. ;)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So many years ago before Bondo became popular, lead was used to repair body panels. So repairing body panels with it is nothing new.

As for the ”welding” rods that you are talking about, they are more of a solder/brazing rod than actual weld. I watched a video on it on YouTube, think it might have been Project Farm or one like that, they concluded that some are better than others and some are better at certain repairs. The last test they did was pick one of the better ones, grind a slice through the cylinder head of a mower engine and “patch” with the rod. It actually worked and a thermal scan showed it was cooler at the patch than the rest of the head. So it won’t really replace true welding, but it can fix some of the hard to fix/weld things.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Cool, I'll use Amazon for reviews, then order from someone else, fook Bezos, lol...

I have a MAPP torch too, wonder if that opens up more options...?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Cool, I'll use Amazon for reviews, then order from someone else, fook Bezos, lol...

I have a MAPP torch too, wonder if that opens up more options...?
That video I saw compared brands, melting temperature, flexibility of finished joint and strength of hold, so yeah. They are all supposed to be able to be melted with propane but I think some of them were more MAPP gas range.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I don't trust anything that says 50% off today and 10% off tomorrow buy now........

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals