• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What years of factory Ranger seats fit into '90 Ranger?

Little_Blue_Ox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I'm trying to figure out for sure which Ford Ranger seats will bolt directly into my girlfriend's 1990 Ford Ranger Short-cab. Am I limited to finding only seats from second-gen Rangers (1988-1992) like she has?

She's got the original low-back bench seat in there now......but I want to find a set of seats that have the high-back "built-in headrest" kinda shape so that her head is better protected from the rear window in any kind of accident.

While I'm guessing that any from any of the second-gen Ranger years (1988-1992) will fit in there directly.....how about from a third-gen Ranger? (1993-1997)? Will a seat from one of those fit in this older 1990 Ranger?

I'm asking because I just found a 60/40 split bench with the built-in headrests at a salvage yard, and it's out of a 1993 Ranger......wondered if it will bolt right in without much fuss (and if it will even FIT, into a short-cab, like my girlfriend's truck has (is there room for the headrests in there?)

Thanks tons guys.

I really want to make her truck a little safer, she loves it but I don't like her not having headrests.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Brackets from 83-92 will fit out of the same cab. Dunno about the newer ones, but with the right brackets you can put just about any seat in you want. My '93 Explorer seats bolted right on my '89 Ranger tracks that with the addition of two holes per side in the floor bolted right in my '85.

If she is shorter Explorer seats would probably be a really good fit for her. I am 6'-3" and they are only mildly irritating for me. The problem I have with mine is the thicker headrest hits the back window and limits rearward travel.

Otherwise Tempo GT or Mustang seats with the "halo" style headrest would be a tallback bucket seat alternative for a taller person. They have pics of those in the tech library.

Last edited:

Little_Blue_Ox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks 85_Ranger4x4!

Just to make sure I totally understand though --- it sounds like you re-used your old '85 Ranger Seat Tracks?

And for you, it was a direct bolt-on for those '93 Explorer seats, right onto the old '85 tracks? (I'm assuming you separated the Explorer seats from THEIR original tracks first, and then bolted on the '85 Tracks to the '93 Explorer seats, and THEN bolted the whole seat/track combo into the truck....)

Hope I'm gettin' ya right here. That sounds like a totally work-able solution.

Thanks again man!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks 85_Ranger4x4!

Just to make sure I totally understand though --- it sounds like you re-used your old '85 Ranger Seat Tracks?

And for you, it was a direct bolt-on for those '93 Explorer seats, right onto the old '85 tracks? (I'm assuming you separated the Explorer seats from THEIR original tracks first, and then bolted on the '85 Tracks to the '93 Explorer seats, and THEN bolted the whole seat/track combo into the truck....)

Hope I'm gettin' ya right here. That sounds like a totally work-able solution.

Thanks again man!
Mine originally had the solid bench, so I had to grab a set of bucket (or 60/40) tracks for a std cab truck, and since the truck I pulled those out of had nasty blue 60/40's that would totally clash with my tan interior I grabbed a nice set of buckets and a console out of an Explorer.

The solid bench has two tracks that are made into the seat on each end, you can't reuse them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals