• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What options do I have for an axle?

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2002 FX4 automatic. I blew the rearend the yesterday morning. I have been searching around trying to find a used rear axle assembly to swap in, but am not getting any luck finding one. So what I was wondering, is what other axles would I be able to swap into it to get it on the road again.
There are two axle tags on it. One says V305E. The other says 4 L 10 88 2003.

If I don't have to have this fancy, peice of shit torsen, I don't really need it. I don't hardcore offroad the truck, don't plan to. I just need to get to work, and tow a mixer or a two place snowmobile trailer once in a great while.

I've heard to stick with the 31 spline axles, but am not sure what other years will still work. Like I said, I just need this truck to get me to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well these numbers 4 L 10 88 say it's a 4.10 L/S with the 8.8. you've got an auto and depending on what you were trying to pull shouldn't have had anyproblem. Try auto-part.com for something close with what you need.
DAve

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
There was a recall on the '02 FX4 Torsens, although they effectively weaseled out of doing the recall on auto trans trucks because "it didn't stress it as much" :rolleyes:
Needless to say they still break, just takes a little longer.

Swap an 8.8" Traction Lok L/S unit in there from an Explorer or F-150 axle. Should fit in there no problem provided the housing isn't damaged.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, "weasled" is the exact word. When you say explorer, don't I have to weld new spring perches, and get a new brake booster for the rear discs that come on it? I'm looking to just take out the old axle, whole thing, and roll in another one.

What I'm getting at is what other rearends can I put in there? Would a 3:73 ratio work from another year, and what years? I just want to find the first thing, with low mileage, to put back in there.

TimV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
You are going to have to find another fx4 axle to roll under it, or rebuild yours. The problem with other ranger axles is the tube diameter is different, so you you have to get different U bolts and spring plates. Also, you would have to make sure to get a 4.10 ratio one. Overall strength would be decreased by going to a 28 spline from a 31 spline as well. I would look for another fx4 axle if possible.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Cheaper and better to rebuild. A used axle is still likely to do this again at an inopportune moment. Swap in just the limited slip differential case from an explorer and use all new bearings and seals, along with new fluid and additive. If you dropped to a 3.73 ratio, your four wheel drive would then be completely useless, unless you also swapped in the front differential and gears as well. How exactly did you "blow" your rear? Did it literally explode or did i just start making lots of noises? Did it stop pulling or did it completely lock up and slide the truck sideways?

Have you pulled the cover to see what the trouble is yet? Why are you so hell bent on replacing it when it could just as easily be fixed?

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It started making noises, first humming, then a loud howl. I went to accelerate from a stop sign, on a hill, and it just went bang. I put it in 4 wheel drive and nursed it to my boss's house. The whole time it was banging and binding if I went over 3mph. When I turn left or right it was really bad. It's been sitting there since Monday morning, haven't pulled the cover yet.

I want to replace it with a used one for my truck, but as you may know, it's not easy to find it.

I've never pulled apart a rearend before, and would just like to replace the whole thing. I kind of figured that I will have to find one just like it.

As for why, I've seen them from $200 up to $550. It would be at least that much to get it rebuilt.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The only bolt-in options are going to be either another FX4 Torsen axle (later ones will of course be stronger post-recall units), or downgrading to a 28 spline axle (like was said, smaller u-bolts & spring plates will be needed to bolt it in).
4.10 Ranger 8.8 axles started appearing in '98 & up trucks.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, another question. This is the description from LKQ. 2007 rear axle ford ranger, 8.8 GEAR, 10 BRAKES, 4NL10 EXC. FX4. And another, 1999 ranger, 8.8 RING GEAR, 10 BRAKES, 4.10NL. This was a search for a 2003, because I figured that the 2003 on my tag means it's from that year.

When I search 2002, which is what my truck is supposed to be, the only option close to my V305E tag is 8.8" ring gear, 10" brakes, 4.10 ratio, tag V305C, H, J & K.

So the one from 2007, I figure the "NL" means non-limited slip. It doesn't bother me, but would it work?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If you input for a 2003 FX4 "Level II", you should get similar results as for your '02 FX4 ('03up FX4 (non-Level II) trucks use the standard 28 spline axle).

Any Ranger axle should physically fit your truck as long as you have the correct bolts & plates for it.

Not sure on the "NL" part. I would think the words "limited slip" would appear in the description if it was.

07rangerfx4lv2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
i too just blew my rear axel, so all fx4 axels are the same a level 2 axel isnt different is it??

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure, but start looking for one now. I looked all over for a month, and finally found one, and the only one, that was around WI.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I checked with a local shop to rebuild it, and they would rebuild with an Eaton for $1400. Paid the $550 for a used one and did it myself last weekend. Gotta say that everything went really smooth.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals