• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What Hath God Wrought!?! AKA, look what is following me home!

MojoWorkin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Supercab 4x XLT
I was looking for an Element. Then a Subaru. I flirted witih KIA Sorento's for heaven's sake. I just wanted to trade in the family truckster ('08 CX-9) for something a little more soft-roady for the weekends.

It was all going to be so non-commital, so conventional. So - dare I say it - *tame*, but somehow I just ended up with a lifted '97 XLT Supercab 4x4 Ranger. Price was right, deposit paid, and pickup is pending. The seller was saying all the right things, and the price was almost too good to be true. Sorry if you tried to get at her - The seller was buried in inquiries. Right place, right time, a mutual acquaintance, and a little vehicular karma came together for little ol' me. )

Now that I think about it, I'm glad the Subaru thing didn't come together, as I have no interest in starting a YouTube channel, Patreon subscription, or hawking camping gadgets. (Zing!) But if BFG wants to send me five KO2's, I'll put a sticker in the window.

So the plan is to gradually shave off some rough edges, probably tame the 6" lift, (4" looks about right) and give it some mild, but decidedly all-terrain footies. Definitely a shell and maybe an overhead goodie rack for bikes and what-not. Also a primative sleeping/camping arrangement that does not conflict too much with the proper function of a beater pick 'em up. I like hunting up bargains and making-do with what I can scrounge up.

I'm OK'ish with a wrench - I've been taking things apart and sometimes putting them back together since I was six, but I've led the kind of lifestyle for the past few decades that made it necessary to bring my vehicles to a mechanic while I tended to "important" things, but recently I had some time (thank you, global pandemic) to slap on a new timing belt, water pump, brakes and shocks all the way around an '00 Sienna before I passed it on to my nephew. Part swapping with a hammer, but it's something.

I've been nosing around the site, and am starting to take it all in. I'm grateful that there is such a cool community of smart, capable folks that people like me can talk to and ask what we did wrong. :whistle:

I will post photos of the big day and the trip home from the Pacific Northwest if there is interest, and I'm currently accepting tips on where to do an off-road shakedown cruise along the I-5 or 101 corridor.

Thanks folks! See you out there!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
You wont regret it!

MojoWorkin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Supercab 4x XLT
So... Too much lift, or not enough tire? Either way, it looks funny right now.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
MojoWorkin,

If you a 6" lift, let that be; 33" tires will look and work great with 6" of lift ..). 32's and 31's will still be in the work great department but that truck with 33's will look ideal to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals