• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What do you bolt a carport to?

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking into getting 2, 2 vehicle carports and bolt them end to end and i don't want them sitting on the ground. So i was needing some ideas on what to bolt them down to. My cousin thought we should just make a trench and pour concrete in it but a few people thought they might tax us on them then. and someone said rail road ties but i'd prefer to just do it once. The plan is to put 3 walls on them and i'm not sure if we're going to put a door on it or not. But we definetly don't want them to blow away or rust in the ground. and they're just for storage, they won't have any power, probably a rock or lime floor. Any ideas? maybe parking lot curbs?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You don't need a whole trench..just a few post holes will hold them down...use sonotube if you want to sink wood into them, but I've poured that quick post stuff straight into an 8" hole with successful results...

depending on your area and their regulations...you should be able to anchor them with the concrete bases without increasing your taxes...but I'd find out about "unsightly" buildings...my area has some pretty strict rules about out buildings...

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just use mobile home anchors and be done with it.

http://www.mobilehomedepotmi.com/parts_pages/anchors.htm

Also look up the cross drives and duckbills. They are cheap, meet most codes and you can get them at most home improvement stores. Also you can set it on treated timbers or railroad ties.

Edit see you already mentioned ties oops

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking into getting 2, 2 vehicle carports and bolt them end to end and i don't want them sitting on the ground. So i was needing some ideas on what to bolt them down to. My cousin thought we should just make a trench and pour concrete in it but a few people thought they might tax us on them then. and someone said rail road ties but i'd prefer to just do it once. The plan is to put 3 walls on them and i'm not sure if we're going to put a door on it or not. But we definetly don't want them to blow away or rust in the ground. and they're just for storage, they won't have any power, probably a rock or lime floor. Any ideas? maybe parking lot curbs?

You need to read your tax laws before you get in on over your head. A lot of counties can and will tax a standing structure. The county can fine you if you don't add it to your property. Free standing barns for example are taxable as well.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You need to read your tax laws before you get in on over your head. A lot of counties can and will tax a standing structure. The county can fine you if you don't add it to your property. Free standing barns for example are taxable as well.
Yea alot of times its defined by what it sits on. If your poor a footer or sono tubs its a permanent structure, if its on skids or timbers and and anchored with earth anchors most places accept that as temp. Check with your building dept unless your being incognito.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Agreed. Technicaly mine can be taxed, or they can force me to move it because it is literally 1.5 inches from the property line. To be that close, it is supposed to be behind my house.

As far as how I anchored it down, I got a hammer drill and put expanding 1/2" concrete anchors I got from Lowes. I was a little leery of them, but my brother recommended them. They just held up to a 70+ mph wind storm the other night.

Here's a pic of how they work, and how the look:

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A few weeks ago we had an unexpected county assesor come out and measure all our buildings and we have a semi trailer with no wheels on it just sitting on 2 small homemade concrete slabs and he didn't measure it, or even look at it really. But i basically want to make them not blow away, not rust from water on the ground, and as waterproof and mouse proof as possible, at least for the bottom edge of them.
Thanks for the suggestions, i didn't think of any of those. But i'm pretty sure the concrete tube idea would be a taxable thing but if it wasn't i would probably go that route.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Standard the ones we sell just come with rebar anchors, they beat them in the ground and bend them over. Moble home anchors are a popular option. There are a lot of people that put them on a pad or on small concrete walls too.

Our display one sits out all by itself with just the rebar anchors, it has taken 60+ winds on the top of a hill like a champ like that. We did find a big hunk of channel iron that runs more than the width of the carport to set the front wheels on when we started parking it in there a couple years ago... it will have a hard time floating away with most of a loadered up 4020 sitting on it. We only did that so it wouldn't hurt the tractor if it would have otherwise blown away.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Each demographical area will be different. Up here in Alaska we have some of the highest wind, snow and seismic load codes in the world. Loads of recordable quakes everyday, 24 plus feet of snow in as many days and 100+ mph winds all the time... its a fun ride.

Like this:
http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/recent/macsub/index.html

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Up here in Alaska we have some of the highest wind, snow and seismic load codes in the world. Loads of recordable quakes everyday, 24 plus feet of snow in as many days and 100+ mph winds all the time... its a fun ride.
At least youre not complaining about it. I know someone who lives in a flood zone and bitches when the house floods. :icon_confused:
"Hey jackass, you know its a floodzone. If you dont like it, MOVE!" :annoyed:

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I pounded a couple fence posts into the ground and use ratchet straps to both hold mine down, and keep the poles together. It sits on the ground, and has galvanized poles with little feet on them.

I'd look into railroad ties like you mentioned not doing. They are treated to not rot and maybe keep pests off. I'd screw lag bolts through the feet of the poles and into the railroad ties. That should hold it down pretty good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals