• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What do these engines rev too?

WesB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I installed a tach this last week on my B2. Last night was the first time I had driven it with the new tach installed (it's my toy, so I only drive it about once a week). I floored it to see what it revved to and at full throtle I shifted at 3800 rpms. That seems really low to me. Do these engines just not rev? Are they really that inefficient? I wanna switch over to a 302, but am kinda curious as to what these engines are capable of with some head work, cam, duraspark conv (which I haven't done), and better exhaust.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I have seen my 2.8l with dura spark rev at 6000-8000 rpm on the tach. Cheap tach so it could be wrong. 4 low in first gear to the floor in 3 feet of mud.

igiveup

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats about the range my 1989 Bronco2 shifts at when Im on the throttle, just under 4000rpm.

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Hello

I have seen my 2.8l with dura spark rev at 6000-8000 rpm on the tach. Cheap tach so it could be wrong. 4 low in first gear to the floor in 3 feet of mud.

igiveup
8000RPM? Holy shit!

Vanner1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
460, 351M
Transmission
Manual
I blew my 2.9 at 8000 haha. I don't plan to bring it up there anymore.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have had mine at 4k - 4300 rpm because of a dying a4ld. Some have had it at 5k.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I installed a tach this last week on my B2. Last night was the first time I had driven it with the new tach installed (it's my toy, so I only drive it about once a week). I floored it to see what it revved to and at full throtle I shifted at 3800 rpms. That seems really low to me. Do these engines just not rev? Are they really that inefficient? I wanna switch over to a 302, but am kinda curious as to what these engines are capable of with some head work, cam, duraspark conv (which I haven't done), and better exhaust.
What is it you are trying to ask about? Is it do these engines rev high? Are these engines efficient? Or do they make power? It is important to remember that not all engines make power at the same RPM.

Couldn't tell you what a stock 2.8L will max out on revs at, never been around a stock one. I know the one in my 84 listed in my sig would have no problems getting up there in RPM with over 160K on the odo (that's assuming it only rolled over once), but it had no tach at that time. Since the rebuild it has no problem hitting 5 or 6K, that's with a bad tuning on the vacuum secondary carb. Pretty sure it would do better with the double pumper sitting on the shelf waiting for a rebuild.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I have had mine to 7,000 rpm without a load on it and with a load up to 6,000 rpm before i let off. Is there a need to go that high, not that I have found, not unless you plan on desert racing it or something needing high rpms.

WesB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks to all for the info.
JoshT, I am just trying to figure this engine out. Shifting at 3800rpm with wide open throttle just seemed low to me. That tells me that the eingine isn't very effecient and shouldn't be revved very high. On the other hand, I'm still running the stock comp carb and it runs extrememly rich and that could be hurting my shifting points.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Your foot must be broken........ my truck shifts when i hit the clutch at any rpm I like.

Frank

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I shift mine at 3,000 rpm when Im really accelerating all the way up to 3rd gear. Also when I get to 3,000 rpm, I dont have to use the clutch (dont do that) to get up to 3rd gear.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think he is talking about an automatic tranny shifting...

WesB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, I have a c5

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Well, that certainly explains the "low" shift points then. On my 5sp BII, I hit 2nd at about 10-12 mph, and 3rd around 25, 4th around 60, pray REALLY quick, hit 5th and merge into the interstate traffic. No tach, just wait for the valves to make more noise than the exhaust does to tell me when to shift it. :3gears: :eek: Most likely has ALOT to do with why the poor 2.8 doesn't run as good as it used to, along with the clutch not liking me much either. :temper:

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would never put an auto behind mine, hate not have full control of what it does. If you wanna fix the problem, put a manual behind her.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals