• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
And again, the dana 35 SLA in the 98-11 Rangers doesn't have a gasket. It doesn't exist.
I have rolls of gasket paper. I can, and have, made gaskets for things that you can’t buy a gasket for. But I still would RTV a diff cover before I made a gasket for it.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I don’t think I’ve ever bought a diff cover gasket. The last two covers I did I bought a newer RTV specifically for doing it (it also specs that you have to wait like 24 hours before filling with oil). We’ll see how I like it. So far it seems good. Before that Ultra Black RTV was my go-to. Tried using a couple other RTV options but was never really happy with them, they seemed to leak after awhile. Besides, only one time I found a gasket taking one apart (even from the factory they use RTV with no gasket), and that sucked cleaning a gasket that had been smeared with RTV off everything.
I use the gray Motorcraft silicone, it's way better than most of the other sealers.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I use the gray Motorcraft silicone, it's way better than most of the other sealers.
I don’t have easy access to that, so I use what I can easily get

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’ve bought a few 8.8 bearing kits that came with cork paper gaskets. Never actually installed one though.

My go to is Ultrablack RTV.
My father always used Red RTV for everything.

I don’t really think it matters, but I don’t really care if stuff leaks. As long as it doesn’t all leak out until the next time I need in.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Amazon has it. Our Carquest also stocks Motorcraft.
Thankfully my ford dealer nearby has great parts prices. I picked up some of the 80w90 motorcraft gear lube my ranger uses for only $10 a quart, cheaper than Amazon or rockauto. Similar story with MERCON V atf.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Amazon has it. Our Carquest also stocks Motorcraft.
When I need a tube, I’m not getting on Amazon and waiting a couple days. I’m picking up the phone and making a call and usually within an hour it’s there. Also the closest Carquest is 45 minutes away. I have 5 other parts store options 10-15 minutes away, so it makes zero sense to travel. One delivers to me. Time is valuable, so it’s what’s easily accessible.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thankfully my ford dealer nearby has great parts prices. I picked up some of the 80w90 motorcraft gear lube my ranger uses for only $10 a quart, cheaper than Amazon or rockauto. Similar story with MERCON V atf.
The two most local Ford dealers to me are both miserable to deal with. One of the two screwed me over years ago and I won’t willingly do any business with them. They are not nice people and will screw you any way they can. If I have to get stuff from a Ford dealer I’ll travel a little more to my third option. They’re not the brightest bulbs, but if you can give them a part number, they can usually figure out how to get what you’re after. Since it’s not convenient, it’s usually only one of those “I have to get this from Ford” kind of deals.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
The two most local Ford dealers to me are both miserable to deal with. One of the two screwed me over years ago and I won’t willingly do any business with them. They are not nice people and will screw you any way they can. If I have to get stuff from a Ford dealer I’ll travel a little more to my third option. They’re not the brightest bulbs, but if you can give them a part number, they can usually figure out how to get what you’re after. Since it’s not convenient, it’s usually only one of those “I have to get this from Ford” kind of deals.
I’ve learned more and more that this is the norm, and the ford dealer near me is an exception. They are nice, helpful, very very knowledgeable, and always have good prices- even on obscure stuff like the crank bolt for the 4.0l. I am very pleased with them.

Plus they are very close, only about 10 minutes away. So if I can get it from them, and it’s cheaper than elsewhere (which it often is), I do.

What’s also interesting is that the autozone closest to me is kinda how you described your ford dealer- rude, scummy, and kinda dumb. I only go there to drop off used oil and for the odd shop supply or tool I need every so often because they are close.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ve learned more and more that this is the norm, and the ford dealer near me is an exception. They are nice, helpful, very very knowledgeable, and always have good prices- even on obscure stuff like the crank bolt for the 4.0l. I am very pleased with them.

Plus they are very close, only about 10 minutes away. So if I can get it from them, and it’s cheaper than elsewhere (which it often is), I do.

What’s also interesting is that the autozone closest to me is kinda how you described your ford dealer- rude, scummy, and kinda dumb. I only go there to drop off used oil and for the odd shop supply or tool I need every so often because they are close.
The Ford dealer that used to be near me was very nice to work with. Their service and parts department were great. I was sad to see them close. I don't know how much of the decision to close was the drop in business because of the C-word and how much of it was the rumored requirement by Ford to the dealerships to equip their shops to deal with and work on EVs. It may have been both.

I've yet to deal with the one close to work and I'm not looking forward to how the experience might go. Dealerships have a general reputation for a reason.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

There were two good Ford dealers in the area. Both got forced to close for different reasons. The one was forced out by the scummy dealer. Not sure exactly what happened to the other. The not so scummy local dealer used to be good to deal with when I knew a guy who worked parts. Between him being gone and the dealership changing owners, they are less than helpful unless you’re part of the ol boy network around here. I got the same kind of treatment from NAPA up until the last couple years.

Both the local Autozone and Advanced Auto have dumb counter help. I about dragged the one idiot across the counter when they sold me the wrong parts (rear axle bearings and seals, they gave me F-150 parts). When I tried to explain that the computer is wrong (I have an F-150 and have been messing with them and Rangers for 25 years now), he tried to forcefully tell me that I’m an idiot. Not a wise move. After that I got a commercial account so I don’t have to deal with front counter idiots. Plus my parts get delivered. Since I have a business, it works out nicely and they have even delivered parts after hours. I have no real complaints now.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The Ford dealer that used to be near me was very nice to work with. Their service and parts department were great. I was sad to see them close. I don't know how much of the decision to close was the drop in business because of the C-word and how much of it was the rumored requirement by Ford to the dealerships to equip their shops to deal with and work on EVs. It may have been both.

I've yet to deal with the one close to work and I'm not looking forward to how the experience might go. Dealerships have a general reputation for a reason.
Can’t think of which one that would be. I will say to steer well clear of Shultz Ford. I can give you a pile of reasons why.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
There were two good Ford dealers in the area. Both got forced to close for different reasons. The one was forced out by the scummy dealer. Not sure exactly what happened to the other. The not so scummy local dealer used to be good to deal with when I knew a guy who worked parts. Between him being gone and the dealership changing owners, they are less than helpful unless you’re part of the ol boy network around here. I got the same kind of treatment from NAPA up until the last couple years.

Both the local Autozone and Advanced Auto have dumb counter help. I about dragged the one idiot across the counter when they sold me the wrong parts (rear axle bearings and seals, they gave me F-150 parts). When I tried to explain that the computer is wrong (I have an F-150 and have been messing with them and Rangers for 25 years now), he tried to forcefully tell me that I’m an idiot. Not a wise move. After that I got a commercial account so I don’t have to deal with front counter idiots. Plus my parts get delivered. Since I have a business, it works out nicely and they have even delivered parts after hours. I have no real complaints now.
Too common of a story today. Too many think they’re entitled, and they’re doing the boss a favor, if he would be gracious enough to employ them. No concept of who the real customer is, nor ethics, nor expertise. It’s actually scary.

On a personal note, I don’t see why anyone would have to get forceful letting you know they think you’re an idiot. Some things are….

Wait a minute, scratch that last part.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Too common of a story today. Too many think they’re entitled, and they’re doing the boss a favor, if he would be gracious enough to employ them. No concept of who the real customer is, nor ethics, nor expertise. It’s actually scary.
Indeed.

On a personal note, I don’t see why anyone would have to get forceful letting you know they think you’re an idiot. Some things are….

Wait a minute, scratch that last part.
Oh, I’ve been guilty of being an idiot before. But some yahoo working behind a counter slinging parts for just above minimum wage trying to tell someone who has tore these trucks down to the frame and put them back together again that I don’t have a clue what I’m working with, well, that’s really, really dumb. I should have spoke up when the part numbers looked familiar to the ones I had used on my F-150. But that would have just sped up the process of arguing with an idiot who’s going to try and tell someone who knows better that the computer is right and they are wrong.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals