• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
HEY HEY HEY! I’m sure they used the cheapest scrap, crap wood they could use when they made these things, but it’s not fake!

And why would I dispose of it? I’ve got almost 69 years of cleaning up other peoples‘ s***
Ah ok, I misunderstood a previous post. I recall you saying something along the lines of it looks like wood but actually metal. I took that to mean it was a faux wood appearance on a metal box.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Ah ok, I misunderstood a previous post. I recall you saying something along the lines of it looks like wood but actually metal. I took that to mean it was a faux wood appearance on a metal box.
No hurt feelings, here, always just joking around. I love history and tradition, I’m one of those folks that if I hit the big lottery, I wouldn’t buy newer stuff, I would buy older stuff. The stupid thing is it worth anything, and I bought it for a step for Lincoln to look out the window, but I’m sure I think it’s a lot cooler than anybody else thinks.!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It's a wooden box lined with very thin, galvanized metal. If it's anything like the wood box my orginal cast iron set came in, the wood is pretty soft. I had to replace the lid aready with a piece of pine plank and reenforce some other stuff.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Got the tires changed out, went with the jeep wrangler rims Ive had for years, looks better than those hhr rims with hubcaps I ran for the winter. Took a lap around the block, we will see if these tires hold air, they had been in storage for a few years and all of them needed aired up.

IMG_7523.jpeg
IMG_7521.jpeg

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
I picked up the C5500 Topkick today. Just in time for the Stranger to crap it's 4r44e transmission for the third time. Only 260,000 miles and none of those miles have been hard or abusive. Maybe I should have treated it more like a $2 hooker than my daily rider. :ROFLMAO:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Replaced the right tail light. So the 2011 is pretty much back to normal.

In other news, it looks like it's getting about time to replace the rear parking brake cables. When the temperature drops below freezing, the pedal doesn't return all the way to the disengaged position without help. She's starting to show her age and needs some attention.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I picked up the C5500 Topkick today. Just in time for the Stranger to crap it's 4r44e transmission for the third time. Only 260,000 miles and none of those miles have been hard or abusive. Maybe I should have treated it more like a $2 hooker than my daily rider. :ROFLMAO:
hey, if she’s only two dollars, you can ride her all day long!

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Today was back on the parts ranger, but I did drive the '99 over there to work on it.

I pulled the rear axle and leaf spring assembly. The exhaust was saved in hopes that I can use parts of it with the V8 swap, looks like an aftermarket 2.5" dual system that someone welded in instead of bolting in. The hitch was removed so dad can use it to make a hitch for pulling trailer behind his tractor. Don't need it now, but also snatched out the driveshaft for future use.

After doing all that I figured out I won't be able to use the axle like I intended. I thought it was a 3.73 and I was going to pair it with the Explorer front diff in my V8 swap. Turns out it was a 3.55. Still needed to come out since I wanted the leaf springs to replace the Explorer leafs that are currently in the '99. I'll still be keepting the axle, I might be able to put it to use in the '85 Ranger. The axle tag says that has a 4.11 (doesn't match door) and I don't think that will be a good match for its engine and tire size.

Only things left are to pull airbags, load it on a trailer, and pull the front wheels. Tail lights look decent so they might get saved for dad's Ranger just in case, I'd like that style light (red & clear, no amber) on mine but different bed styles. I think my BIL said that he wants the trans cooler, radiator, and/or condenser. He might be able to use the trans cooler on his truck, but I don't know what he's going to do with the other two since he has nothing they will fit. I don't need them so he's welcome to them if he wants to remove them.

In other news, it looks like it's getting about time to replace the rear parking brake cables. When the temperature drops below freezing, the pedal doesn't return all the way to the disengaged position without help. She's starting to show her age and needs some attention.
Good luck with that. This was a southern truck and I had to cut the intermediate cable to get them disconnected. Once that was done the connector where they split came right on off with a pair of vice grips and a hammer.

For a northern truck, you might want to start spraying it with the penetrant now.

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Today was back on the parts ranger, but I did drive the '99 over there to work on it.

I pulled the rear axle and leaf spring assembly. The exhaust was saved in hopes that I can use parts of it with the V8 swap, looks like an aftermarket 2.5" dual system that someone welded in instead of bolting in. The hitch was removed so dad can use it to make a hitch for pulling trailer behind his tractor. Don't need it now, but also snatched out the driveshaft for future use.

After doing all that I figured out I won't be able to use the axle like I intended. I thought it was a 3.73 and I was going to pair it with the Explorer front diff in my V8 swap. Turns out it was a 3.55. Still needed to come out since I wanted the leaf springs to replace the Explorer leafs that are currently in the '99. I'll still be keepting the axle, I might be able to put it to use in the '85 Ranger. The axle tag says that has a 4.11 (doesn't match door) and I don't think that will be a good match for its engine and tire size.

Only things left are to pull airbags, load it on a trailer, and pull the front wheels. Tail lights look decent so they might get saved for dad's Ranger just in case, I'd like that style light (red & clear, no amber) on mine but different bed styles. I think my BIL said that he wants the trans cooler, radiator, and/or condenser. He might be able to use the trans cooler on his truck, but I don't know what he's going to do with the other two since he has nothing they will fit. I don't need them so he's welcome to them if he wants to remove them.

Good luck with that. This was a southern truck and I had to cut the intermediate cable to get them disconnected. Once that was done the connector where they split came right on off with a pair of vice grips and a hammer.

For a northern truck, you might want to start spraying it with the penetrant now.

“Spray,” maybe. “SOAK” is my vote…

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

The 1998 wasn't so bad when I did the work on it but it had drums as opposed to the disc/drum system the 2011 has. I might need to at least partially slide the axle shafts out on this one the get enough access. The hubs in the way of everything with that parking brake design.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Had a little bit of daylight left after work so was back on the parts Ranger today. Got the air bags pulled. Got a few other odds and ends pulled. Still had daylight left...

I'd decided quite a while back that I wanted to save the interior plastics to redye for a color change on my truck. I'd grown tired of the light gray stock interior, though it is currently getting a second wind. I'd already pulled most of the plastics as well as the cluster and radio months ago. Had started to pull the dash then decided that it was too much work and I'd dye mine in place when the time came. Well having some daylight left and nothing left to loose, I finished pulling the steering column, disconnected the wiring harness, and proceeded to sratr removing the dash. When I finished for the day it was ready to come out except for one harness commection I missed for the safety restraint system control module, the box under the cup holderson the trans tunnel. Next time I'll get that loose, pull all my parts out and be ready to scrap the rest. If all goes well it'll be gone Saturday and get a few bucks back in my pocket to pay for miscellaneous swap parts.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drove it to pick up my kid from daycare which he really likes last night.

So he walks out, sees it sitting among all the mom mobiles and proclaims "you drove the ranger!"

And then he spins around and punches me right in the crotch in excitement. :shok:

Perfect way to end a crappy week.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
That looks real nice.
Thanks - Still have my 3D models if anybody needs some. Will probably make a slight revision and lengthen the gusset and add a collar around the radius if so. Can fab them or send the unbent pieces of watterjetted sheet metal

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals