• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

RangerBilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT Long
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Our 1993 Ranger has 170k miles and we haven't changed the differential oil since we bought it in 2011. I had seen no record of the previous owner changing it, either. So I expected the worst.
The RTV was shredding, hence the seepage at the 3 to 7 o'clock position. When I popped the cover, and the stinky dark brown oil dribbled out, I was pleased to note no broken metal bits at the bottom, no wear or scoring that I could feel on the ring gear, and no damage to anything else.

I used a Fel-Pro paper gasket coated with Permatex Indian Head gasket goop, and bolted a new cover secured with ten stainless steel bolts. Poured in whatever gear oil I could find on the clearance shelf at Auto Zone: Valvoline, STP and Lucas 85w140.

Took three hours. Hoping for no leaks. I don't expect to remove the cover again (will this 30 year old truck last 100,000 more miles? I can hope, can't I?)

Maybe if I get the urge to install a an no-slip or a Torsen for very occasional off-road use will I need to remove the cover again. Got a 300 foot long unpaved driveway at a rural location that gets muddy during rainy season and we have gotten stuck there more than once!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
mine is unpaved too, though only around 100 foot long. i could see getting stuck very easily when its been raining alot and muddy. everyone drives through the grass when its 50-60 foot puddle from the street back though so no stuck vehicles yet

RangerBilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT Long
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
We have never washed ours. The paint is way too faded to make a difference, the old wax job is peeling off, so any good rain is sufficient to get the dust off.
In hindsight, however, we should have been hosing down the chassis frequently. Chicago's road salt has been eating it alive from underneath for years. The frame rails at the back, and the tail end cross-member have fallen apart so the bumper is hanging on with a strong rope until I can weld some braces on (and fabricate a cross-member. Which I don't know how to do...)
Never had a car or truck before this whose chassis rotted BEFORE the body did! What does Ford use for metal, anyway? Something new on the periodic table?

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
The GF followed me home in my Ranger after I bought this. She ain't real good at taking pics.

1952 Ford 8N

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
We have never washed ours. The paint is way too faded to make a difference, the old wax job is peeling off, so any good rain is sufficient to get the dust off.
In hindsight, however, we should have been hosing down the chassis frequently. Chicago's road salt has been eating it alive from underneath for years. The frame rails at the back, and the tail end cross-member have fallen apart so the bumper is hanging on with a strong rope until I can weld some braces on (and fabricate a cross-member. Which I don't know how to do...)
Never had a car or truck before this whose chassis rotted BEFORE the body did! What does Ford use for metal, anyway? Something new on the periodic table?
I drove a rusty Isuzu for many years in a rust belt city. I completely understand. Ford uses the same steel as everybody else, but the wrong kind of paint.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Is that a winch behind your vehicle knocker? Got a thread or pics on how you mounted it there? Real clean install.
Yup. I posted a thread here a year ago. It's 4,700 lb winch with synthetic cable and remote control. Some members said that this was much too small, arguing mine will never work off road. Maybe so, It certainly won't pull an F150 out of the quicksand, but it will get a neighbor out of a snowbank on reasonably level city streets.

I should know. I had one on my old pickup for twenty years and used it many times. I put this new one on the Ranger and used it twice last winter...no problem. The valance is well supported just behind the fairlead. The winch is bolted to a 4" wide 1/4" steel plate that spans the two frame rails.

Attachments

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The GF followed me home in my Ranger after I bought this. She ain't real good at taking pics.

1952 Ford 8N
Nice! I picked up a 1950 Ferguson TO-20 last year, virtual twin to the Ford 8N/2N/9N tractors. Mine wasn’t running when I got it and I still haven’t got it to run right, but I have got it to run a little. Think the governor might be stuck. Fix one problem to find another.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Where you able to use Ranger instr cluster for gauges, very interested in that information on my build
Yup. I posted a thread here a year ago. It's 4,700 lb winch with synthetic cable and remote control. Some members said that this was much too small, arguing mine will never work off road. Maybe so, It certainly won't pull an F150 out of the quicksand, but it will get a neighbor out of a snowbank on reasonably level city streets.

I should know. I had one on my old pickup for twenty years. I used this new one twice last winter...no problem. The valance is well supported just behind the fairlead. The winch is bolted to a 4" wide 1/4" steel plate that spans the two frame rails.
Thanks. I'm planning a future project. I'd like to have a front winch and a removable rear winch. Hidding it like yours may prevent theft. I won't be pulling much, except the project truck if it gets stuck and needs a little bump out. I'm not planning any real harcore offroad stuff in it. Heck, I've gotten stuck on wet grass in my level yard, with street tires, in my current Ranger.

Nice! I picked up a 1950 Ferguson TO-20 last year, virtual twin to the Ford 8N/2N/9N tractors. Mine wasn’t running when I got it and I still haven’t got it to run right, but I have got it to run a little. Think the governor might be stuck. Fix one problem to find another.
Those are nice tractors too. I got lucky with my 8N. The guy I bought it from has been maintaining, using, and restoring tractors for around 40 years. I'm almost 50.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I'm planning a future project. I'd like to have a front winch and a removable rear winch. Hidding it like yours may prevent theft. I won't be pulling much, except the project truck if it gets stuck and needs a little bump out. I'm not planning any real harcore offroad stuff in it. Heck, I've gotten stuck on wet grass in my level yard, with street tires, in my current Ranger.

I think mine cost $130.00. I had been thinking about bolting tow loops on the frame in back, but I've got dual exhausts instead.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Those are nice tractors too. I got lucky with my 8N. The guy I bought it from has been maintaining, using, and restoring tractors for around 40 years. I'm almost 50.
I got mine pretty cheap and it’s arguably in pretty good shape. No real rust on it, little dirty and a couple tires don’t hold air real well. Previous owner did a hack job of a 12 volt conversion, gas tank needed cleaned out, sediment bowl was broken, carb needed rebuilt (I just bought a new aftermarket), fixed a bunch of wiring, new oil, it’s just been shy about running right so far. When I finally got it going it took off at full roar and wouldn’t adjust with the throttle so I’m thinking the governor might be stuck or something. Gonna have to go on the back burner again I guess.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
2-2x8 x10
1-2x8 x12
2-2x10x12
1-2x10x10
2-4x4x8
1-4x4x7
3 post foundation blocks
All pressure treated
All straight as an arrow, new, stored in a dry basement.

$60

I love Craigslist!

The Missing Linc and Road Ranger had to stay home patiently while I fetched them with Big Red. Big Red got a wash for the occasion (I couldn’t bring him dirty, but I didn’t wash the inner fenders)

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic

That is a sweet heart, a real collectable too. Guys around here love to restore them.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
went to lowes to get garden plants & yard flowers, was going to get topsoil too but no more room in the back of the ranger after loading all the plants in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals