• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
used the tailgate as a workbench to cut out a transom for the boat I bought last november, wow plywood really has went up in price. Had to glue 2 1/2” sheets of 40” x 6” together to make a 1” peice. Waiting on some even more pricey marine grade epoxy to encapsulate it all with. I’ll end up with as much in the transom rebuild as I spent for the whole boat/trailer. Still deciding on a 9.9 or 15 hp motor. 9.9 is probably enough but why not have a “hot rod” boat? The transom will be beefy enough to take it. Oddly there is no capacity plate on this boat, online it says 9.9 or 15 max for a 12’ aluminum boat like mine, when I looked up my specific boat it said it could take a 25 but I find that hard to believe. Hopefully I can have it all together by july 4rth and watch fireworks at indian lake while actually out in the water. The old transom was so bad that when I removed it every sheet in the plywood fell apart like there was never any glue holding it together.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
used the tailgate as a workbench to cut out a transom for the boat I bought last november, wow plywood really has went up in price. Had to glue 2 1/2” sheets of 40” x 6” together to make a 1” peice. Waiting on some even more pricey marine grade epoxy to encapsulate it all with. I’ll end up with as much in the transom rebuild as I spent for the whole boat/trailer. Still deciding on a 9.9 or 15 hp motor. 9.9 is probably enough but why not have a “hot rod” boat? The transom will be beefy enough to take it. Oddly there is no capacity plate on this boat, online it says 9.9 or 15 max for a 12’ aluminum boat like mine, when I looked up my specific boat it said it could take a 25 but I find that hard to believe. Hopefully I can have it all together by july 4rth and watch fireworks at indian lake while actually out in the water. The old transom was so bad that when I removed it every sheet in the plywood fell apart like there was never any glue holding it together.
Up here there are lots of little lakes where you are not allowed to run 10hp and larger engines. Might be something to look into...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That epoxy stuff is kinda fun, I used it for my camper.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I’ve had a few boats, but having said that, what I know about boats would fit in a thimble and bounce around. The thing that caught my eye was that you might consider a 25 on the boat that’s rated for 15. If you’re thinking of getting insurance, I’m talking about liability insurance, you need to check in your state and your policy the rules regarding “overpowering” the boat. There was a big brouhaha about that in Georgia about a decade ago, and it wasn’t just the speed boats. It was everything from a dinghy to a cabin cruiser. Just a heads up.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Up here there are lots of little lakes where you are not allowed to run 10hp and larger engines. Might be something to look into...
Same here which is why the "9.9" exists. Most 9.9's were just restricted 15's anyway so you could literally just swap over to the 15hp versions carb or intake and wala, a 15hp motor with a 9.9 badge.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
@Dirtman if all you want is trans temp, a cheap smartphone and Forscan or Torque Pro will give you that for a lot less hassle. At least I get it on my 2001 4.0. Yours may be different or is yours a manual? Can't remember.
I don't actually want any of the gauges lol. The point of the pod is to cover my totally messed up A pillar...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Would it be easier to just get another trim piece?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Would it be easier to just get another trim piece?
Yes in theory it very much would....

But I've been looking in the junkyard for over a year. Every one I find is worse than mine. :rolleyes:

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Did my desert journey putting around 400 miles, truck handled great. Sold the 3.0 package.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I don't actually want any of the gauges lol. The point of the pod is to cover my totally messed up A pillar...
You could rig up just a couple of little LEDs in the pods to illuminate them, and print out a picture of @Rick W , @sgtsandman , @85_Ranger4x4 , etc., and mount them so the LEDs come on with the key. You’d always have us with you!

just a thought

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You could rig up just a couple of little LEDs in the pods to illuminate them, and print out a picture of @Rick W , @sgtsandman , @85_Ranger4x4 , etc., and mount them so the LEDs come on with the key. You’d always have us with you!

just a thought
Distracted driving is illegal in NJ and how would I ever pay attention to the road?!

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Found a 3 pod one which I think will cover more of my oopsies. Now I need to figure out 2 pointless guages lol. Trans temp is a definite but other than that... I really don't need any guages... Help me pick!

I have a tach, voltmeter, oil pressure (switch it's ford), coolant temp, what else could be practical?
Install a tachometer, but change the face of the gauge to look like a boost gauge. Then install a whistle.

CubeDweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Replaced the headlights this weekend, also the original stereo (non-functioning) with a new Kenwood and a new knob for the Climate Control - it was missing. And new speakers in the doors, with a hefty dose of sound deadening on the door panels while I was in there.
Also replaced the outside rear view mirrors. Cleaned the grill while it was off, and everything behind it. Ford doesn't make it easy! I need to find trim for the top of the windshield. No idea what happened there.

Neil Teske

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Success! No leaks, noises, or inconsistencies. Oil pan gasket, rear main seal, timing cover gasket, front seal, timing chain and gears, water pump gasket, exhaust flange bolts drilled and replaced, exhaust gaskets, drilled and replaced cat bolts and gasket, trans to transfer case gasket, repair starter lead, new u joints. 3 weeks with 3 break days.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals