• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

drewh108

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Transmission
Manual
All sounds good, but I’m puzzled. What are you going to say through the microphone to the people you see in the rearview screen, only when it’s snowing?
Well, maybe a comma was needed but, I think the microphone is for yelling at people in the way.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Dug into the Ranger issues more, conveniently there's no step on the shaft where the spindle bearing rides, it's pitted but I'll run it... Annoyingly the two U joints related to the passenger side axle shaft are both shot, the outer has one cap spinning (conveniently I did the full circlip mod 14 years ago when the D35 went in) and the center joint is restricted one way not the other... So I just need some consumables...

On the wife's Camry the ABS light went out after the first stop so that's fixed :), the low tire has a nail in it in a fixable location so she'll go to a tire shop this week... I tried to tweak the alignment but couldn't get the jam nut loose on the passenger side so that's for another day...

Now for dinner then relax for a bit and do taxes later tonight... yay...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Engine, transmission, and transfer case are in the truck and sitting on the mounts. Can I add the V8 swap banner now?

Probably safe to do, but I want to wait until it's running. If that's all it took then I've had one for almost a decade with an engine sitting on a bare 86 Ranger frame.

Front driveshaft boot was torn, so rebuilt it with new CV joint and reinstalled. Discovered that I must have damaged the passenger side axle shaft seal when swapping the CV axles out, so looks like I'll be pulling that side back apart to replace it. Discovered that the transfer case flange is a different size between the Ranger and Explorer t-case, so will have to swap that over this week. Was probably mentioned in the tech articles, but I missed or forgot it.

From here on it's a lot of little things to putting it all back together.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I got a bunch of my new parts installed. One rotor and bearings, parking brake cables, and muffler. Figure I'll let those bearings settle in this week and tighten things up next week when I put the other side on. Still need to adjust the parking brake, assuming the front cable isn't tool long.

BTW, I ordered a set of the Chevy brake hoses that are supposed to be longer. What I got is the same length as my stock 96 hoses:annoyed:... IDK what happened there.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
changed the alternator yesterday and decided to investigate the new oil leak. this truck has 215k miles on it and never leaked oil while i have owned it till recently.

i decided its going to take a lot of pressure washing to find the leak since the whole engine from the valve covers down is oil soaked now. i figured it was the valve covers but there is oil on the front of hte engine too. when i park, it leave a little puddle of oil that is roughly 3" wide by 12" long under the bell housing. searching here says it could be any number of things though so that was no help.

so, pressure washer is in the future to start with a clean engine to look at

oh yeah, i used the cheapo alternator from rockauto, skp or syp brand, and no issues. bolted in perfect and doesn;t make any weird noises.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Just came back in from adjusting the parking brake. Easy to set and will hold the truck tight enough that while pointed downhill the engine won't move it. In forward or reverse. I'm happy. First time I've had a proper parking brake in like 12 years.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
$95 later I have everything ordered so far... Amazon had the heavy duty Spicer joints for like $26 so I got 3, got the shaft seal set that has the spindle bearing conveniently (ordered one in '20 I think for the other side? don't remember anymore...), so next weekend I'll tackle that... the passenger side slip splines were stuck so everything needs a good clean and lube...

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Scrap it, sell it, or sending it to the shop?
Sold it to a cousin. Took a loss, but with the B2 to occupy my time now, I wasn't sure if I'd ever get back to it. Plus the wife wanted a new yard ornament.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not much time on it today. I tried to pressure test the old dual core V8 radiator I had. Thought that we couldn't get the rental tester to work and seal up right, hard to install and wouldn't attempt to build pressure. Later found that something hit a fin and tore a hole in a flue, a hole that big it's no wonder it wouldn't try to pressurize. New one on order from Amazon for ~$100, should arrive Friday.

Then tackled tha leaking front passenger side axle shaft seal. Started out pulling the suspension back apart to access it. Bought a new tool for that at HF yesterday, a seal puller. Broke the new to I bought for that today. Was only 8 bucks and.i don't think the one from the auto parts store would have fared any better. Careful application of chisel and pry bar finally got it out. Gentle application of a large socket and a BFH got the new one installed. Reinstalled the removed suspension components on that side.

It done by me, but done today were... Swapped the transmission yoke from the Explorer driveshaft and reinstalled it, then got the torque converter reattached to the flywheel.

Busy tomorrow, but will hopefully be back at it with headers, starter, and maybe lower intake on Thursday.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I loaded it with yard waste (mostly sticker bush trimmings from last fall) and tried to drive it to Greencycle to get rid of the sticker bushes.

Didn't get far. Vacuum activated heater control valve let loose, I thought I blew a head gasket as it was peeing antifreeze right onto the passenger manifold. Got a bit of attention when I pulled into autozone.

Bought the last one at autozone and luckily I had my tools with me and 60 bucks and 15 min later I was on my way. Almost 20 of that was 2 gallons of antifreeze...

AJ
20240305_150844.jpg
20240305_150833.jpg

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Didn't get far. Vacuum activated heater control valve let loose, I thought I blew a head gasket as it was peeing antifreeze right onto the passenger manifold. Got a bit of attention when I pulled into autozone.
That makes for an exciting trip. Don't know whether to use a sad reaction because it happened, or a thumbs up because you were prepared and fixed it. I'd do both if it would let me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals