• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Working on my daughters ranger....it's funny looking.....but like the small silver one young bob tears up all the time.....it identifies as a ranger.

Very suspicious..

KIMG0504.JPG
KIMG0505.JPG

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely

Manscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
I drive down a foggy road, picked up some new wheels, and cleaned my shop in prep to installed new OffRoad Design greasable Kevlar leaf spring bushings tomorrow.
Sounds a bit more like what you did In/With your Ranger. ;)

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Things I do TO my ranger today, finished installed greasable bushings in the rear of my leafs and shackles. Then forced it to climb my local mall parking lot stump. Also added pieces of mass loaded vinyl under where my toolbox sits on the bed rails, not sure if that or the bushings were the squeak I’ve been chasing. It’s possible it’s neither :(

IMG_0721.jpeg
IMG_0722.jpeg
IMG_0742.jpeg
IMG_0734.jpeg

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Things I do TO my ranger today, finished installed greasable bushings in the rear of my leafs and shackles. Then forced it to climb my local mall parking lot stump. Also added pieces of mass loaded vinyl under where my toolbox sits on the bed rails, not sure if that or the bushings were the squeak I’ve been chasing. It’s possible it’s neither :(

View attachment 104252View attachment 104253View attachment 104254View attachment 104255
You may have put too much grease in those bushings, it’s riding pretty high in the back

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
My area is going through some intense flooding. I went out to check some areas I will be going to with the Strangler. I almost got stuck between two areas that flooded out, at about the same time, after I got in there. A couple of lifted full size rigs came through I watched them go through one area and it came up to their doors which would have been about halfway up the Strangler's doors. I turned around and followed them around to the other side of the farms and they made it through a foot deep trough so I followed them out with no problems. A lot of places weren't very deep but the water was rushing over the road with some force, plus I could see any washed out places in the roads. Ahh life, living at the end of a bunch of old dirt roads.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

View attachment 104252View attachment 104253View attachment 104254View attachment 104255

oh....i was working on MY junk ass ranger too...

but that probe is incomplete due to this snafu........well...just glad i was home to help. they wanted 1800 dollars to diagnose and tune Zoies rig....which is not acceptable though understandable....i had a free diagnosic scan (i maintain some of the shop trucks there) done, which led to me driving it around for a 1/4 tank logging it with my hp tuners and forscan.... unfortunately i was not able to see the o2 voltage for reasons i passed acceptable time to figure out....so i had to go off of trims....and i am heading out to work tomorrow.....so i had to concentrate more on one then the other.....i fear my ranger will remain in the grey....i have about 150 into getting Zoies all dialed in and running like it should...not accounting for time. at 100 per hour, that alone was 1100....so 1800 was actually a fair write by those guys. i Feel bad for people these days...when it comes to keeping a vehicle going.

but the ol ranger.... it is one step closer for bob if he has to daily it......because the backlash in the bronco is horrendous.... so i might just order a new 9 inch chunk, because that center section that is in there has a repaired hole in it anyway.......from past shenanigans... i would hop in my ranger and drive it to alaska right now....but young bob isnt quite there yet to be able to deal with this type of crap on the fly....and he has been towed home several times now on shit that took me ten seconds to fix....and i do not want my rig on the side of the road because it aired off and nipple head isnt able to work through that....the ranger has a hard start issue that i suspect if due to starting it with low batteries and it damaged the powermaster starter....doh....that will suck if true. 300 plus bux there...lil bob drowned the hell out of it last summer as well so that didnt help either....

outside of that... need to put some metal into the cab and do a hard repair on the front frame rail where i broke it extracting a herd of jeeps. then...still looking at 15-16 mpg in the drive cycle it needs to do with straight diesel in winter for lil bob to use it. it runs on a mix of wmo generally which brings costs below reg unleaded.

so needless to say....with the bronco which is bobs secondary in good weather... i hate to spend that kind of loot on just one part for a 16-18 mpg backup vehicle we abuse off road, when maybe we should look for a gas squeezer focus or something.....i put tires on it for winter street duty so i am sort of forced to fix it at this point...

because the other thing that identifies as a ranger out there which is his primary ride...., is equally as thirsty....not to mention has tire wear issues for some reason on the back of it....

its a tough time....because i have to weigh all this crap....

and my ranger... a truck i have been driving for 30 plus years....might just get scrapped... in favor of a modern ranger platform...this due to the cost in michigan to keep multiple vehicles street legal. so ohio is looking pretty good right now...

problem with modern ranger platform and ensuing investment which will minimally be 50k to 60k........... to build a new for ME ranger out of a copart.

it will end up just like this one.

captain cave pig diesel for reliability. though incorporating a hybrid electric sub system will be likely....

and one ton axles....for reliability.

but seating for 4.

me and mine..... and not getting any younger.

10 years ago i figured my daily right now would be a cummins powered E350....

so ya never know.

the other plus of building a modern platform....wearing out the initial ecoboost will be huge fun....

so there is that....and hell that could take ten years...

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
oh....i was working on MY junk ass ranger too...

but that probe is incomplete due to this snafu........well...just glad i was home to help. they wanted 1800 dollars to diagnose and tune Zoies rig....which is not acceptable though understandable....i had a free diagnosic scan (i maintain some of the shop trucks there) done, which led to me driving it around for a 1/4 tank logging it with my hp tuners and forscan.... unfortunately i was not able to see the o2 voltage for reasons i passed acceptable time to figure out....so i had to go off of trims....and i am heading out to work tomorrow.....so i had to concentrate more on one then the other.....i fear my ranger will remain in the grey....i have about 150 into getting Zoies all dialed in and running like it should...not accounting for time. at 100 per hour, that alone was 1100....so 1800 was actually a fair write by those guys. i Feel bad for people these days...when it comes to keeping a vehicle going.

but the ol ranger.... it is one step closer for bob if he has to daily it......because the backlash in the bronco is horrendous.... so i might just order a new 9 inch chunk, because that center section that is in there has a repaired hole in it anyway.......from past shenanigans... i would hop in my ranger and drive it to alaska right now....but young bob isnt quite there yet to be able to deal with this type of crap on the fly....and he has been towed home several times now on shit that took me ten seconds to fix....and i do not want my rig on the side of the road because it aired off and nipple head isnt able to work through that....the ranger has a hard start issue that i suspect if due to starting it with low batteries and it damaged the powermaster starter....doh....that will suck if true. 300 plus bux there...lil bob drowned the hell out of it last summer as well so that didnt help either....

outside of that... need to put some metal into the cab and do a hard repair on the front frame rail where i broke it extracting a herd of jeeps. then...still looking at 15-16 mpg in the drive cycle it needs to do with straight diesel in winter for lil bob to use it. it runs on a mix of wmo generally which brings costs below reg unleaded.

so needless to say....with the bronco which is bobs secondary in good weather... i hate to spend that kind of loot on just one part for a 16-18 mpg backup vehicle we abuse off road, when maybe we should look for a gas squeezer focus or something.....i put tires on it for winter street duty so i am sort of forced to fix it at this point...

because the other thing that identifies as a ranger out there which is his primary ride...., is equally as thirsty....not to mention has tire wear issues for some reason on the back of it....

its a tough time....because i have to weigh all this crap....

and my ranger... a truck i have been driving for 30 plus years....might just get scrapped... in favor of a modern ranger platform...this due to the cost in michigan to keep multiple vehicles street legal. so ohio is looking pretty good right now...

problem with modern ranger platform and ensuing investment which will minimally be 50k to 60k........... to build a new for ME ranger out of a copart.

it will end up just like this one.

captain cave pig diesel for reliability. though incorporating a hybrid electric sub system will be likely....

and one ton axles....for reliability.

but seating for 4.

me and mine..... and not getting any younger.

10 years ago i figured my daily right now would be a cummins powered E350....

so ya never know.

the other plus of building a modern platform....wearing out the initial ecoboost will be huge fun....

so there is that....and hell that could take ten years...
I believe it’s actually called a gaggle of jeeps. And always remember that you can find straight, completely rust free trucks down here, pretty easily for a little money, maybe just move all your stuff over.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
yeah.....but its not the same.....i worked hard getting that roof just right...

E41A0578.JPG
E41A0355.JPG
E41A0354.JPG

and the floors......

E41A0852.JPG

E41A0858.JPG

time will tell.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
yeah.....but its not the same.....i worked hard getting that roof just right...

View attachment 104284View attachment 104285View attachment 104286

and the floors......

View attachment 104288

View attachment 104289

time will tell.
I get your point on the roof, a very personalized item, I’m sure a very spiritual personal experience with those you love.

I was trying to understand what you were talking about on the floor, but all I could see was the dirt under the truck. What’s up with that?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i am to the needs new metal again phase.....

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
i am to the needs new metal again phase.....
Yup, my F-150 is about at that phase. I don’t know if it was the wisest choice but I bought a cab and frame for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals