• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What can you tell about my engine condition from this waterpump?

STPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My credo
N/A
This truck has sat for a few years before I got my hands on it and when I drained the coolant it was a rust brown and smelled terrible. I flushed the radiator, coolant pipes and the motor itself to try to get as much of the garbage out as possible. This is what the inside of the waterpump looks like, I'm going to replace it, but what can I learn from this to help revitalize the engine. What causes this and are there any precautions I should be taking to help the engine last longer?

https://ibb.co/cs03qv

EDIT: Should of said "Engine Condition" in the title {fixed}

Last edited by a moderator:

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
A lack of coolant?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would say it's a lack of maintenance or using straight water. Coolant has a lifespan of [iirc] about 2 years. I have pulled rads and taken them apart to find rusty sediment clogging the bottom 3"...no wonder I was having cooling problems. I would bet your radiator looks like mine did. [The engine temp would be fine until a load was put on it.]

STPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My credo
N/A
I would say it's a lack of maintenance or using straight water. Coolant has a lifespan of [iirc] about 2 years. I have pulled rads and taken them apart to find rusty sediment clogging the bottom 3"...no wonder I was having cooling problems. I would bet your radiator looks like mine did. [The engine temp would be fine until a load was put on it.]
Whats the remedy? A couple distilled water flushes until its clean and then fill it up with a 50/50 mix?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A chemical engine flush would be what I would do first. Because of environmental laws the stuff sold nowadays isn't as effective as old. If you're daring, I've used "CLR" on my own stuff. If your rad is full of gunk nothing but a new rad will do. My thought; if CLR causes a leak in the rad, then the rad was no good anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
I use 70% coolant, which I believe is the max. That way if I need to add water on the side of the road I don't have to match it with coolant.
Vern

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well it appears your water pump is toast and the rest of the engine needs a bit of cleaning.

I can also see the half moon on your thumb and that indicates you are healthy and quite possibly a genius according to some Youtube videos...:)

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I would get a flushing tee connector that installs in the heater core line. Attach as specified, and start the garden hose flowing. Run the engine at idle to circulate the water.
You might remove the thermostat to allow flow through the radiator, but I think you want the flow to go against the output of the pump and flow backwards into the radiator, pushing stuff out of the heater core, block cooling jacket, and possibly the bottom of the radiator. The water will flow out the radiator cap port and go all over your street or drive.
Prestone made a kit with the tee, cap, hose clamps, and a diverter to stuff in the radiator. They also included instructions. It works to a degree.
If you remove the water(coolant) pump, you can flush around in the water jacket around the cylinders, and maybe rake out a pile of goop. You can remove the radiator, and flip it upside down and run water backwards through the tube, as much as will flow, to remove 'stuff' and sediment.
Then put it back together, add some chemical flush, TSP, oven cleane, vinegar, or your favorite cleaner, run the thing at idle until it has circulated as long as you want to play, drain, and flush to remove all the chemical used. Don't run it down the drain w/o neutralizing it. Baking soda for acids, vinegar or acid for bases. The store flushes will indicate proper disposition of their product, likely safe for waste handling via the street drain.
I would not run a higher concentration than specified. If you want, you can carry a small container of 100% in the cab, and add equal mix of water:coolant as needed.
tom

p.s. the pic was undecipherable to me, except showing a big blob of rust.
tom

STPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My credo
N/A
So from what I gather, the waterpump needs to be replaced (was planing on doing that anyways) and I need to throughly flush my cooling system, but no major damage or anything to be overly concerned over. Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals