• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What Can You ACTUALLY Tow? Payload -Tow Capacity

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
translator, not my skills

right click on a foreign text,, hit translate to english

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I know what a TCC is, that foreign script that makes no sence. Probably spam of some sort.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
So, I heard back from Ford. Their response letter 100% useless just as I figured.

"Because we do not have any information in our system that differentiates the towing capabilities between the 2 transmissions (auto VS manual), I am unable to advise if the abilities change based on the type." So, given that honestly it sounds as though Ford just has no idea, which they're the ones that designed and built it you'd think they could answer that question with a logical explanation, but what do you expect from an automaker these days.

The letter further goes on stating everything we already know that vehicle options, engines, etc. all play a role in towing capacity. That aside, why can't my 87 Ranger 2.9L V6, 4x2 long bed 5 speed with 3.73 gear ratio tow the same trailer an 87 Ranger 2.9L V6 4x2 long bed with the automatic and 3.73 axle ratio can tow. They completely left out the answer. So with the response I got I'd think both trucks could tow the same thing being equipped the same. The weight of the vehicle plays a factor in how much it can tow, well if that's the case the same Ranger equipped the same just an auto vs manual wouldn't weigh that much different overall, so why would you be able to tow a 5k pound trailer behind the auto vs 2k pound trailer behind the manual...I mean other than the way people drive they'd smoke the clutch right out of the manual. Aside from that, you get a person that knows how to drive there's no honest reason you couldn't tow the same trailer with either truck. Some have mentioned the way the gears are cut and mesh in a manual, well that logic should be the same behind a 1 ton dually manual then as well, or a semi-truck for that matter. People have been towing for decades with manuals just fine, so really is the truth actually in the loose nut behind the wheel being the real reason? I'd have to think so. Given when you push that clutch pedal in you just disconnected the drive wheels from the engine, now you have no engine braking, and no connection to the ground, so, someone with less than good driving skills on a hill may end up not ending up where they intended to go as that trailer pushes them down the hill for example. I'd have to think that would make more logical sense overall then the way the gears are between a manual and automatic if you have a good driver they should be able to tow the same weight regardless which transmission is there.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think there is a lot of truth in what you say wildbill23c. I don't think US manufacturers are willing to chance the potential liability due to the general inexperience the general US population with manual transmissions. There is also the issue with insurance companies. If they catch wind of the fact that you are towing over what the vehicle manufacturer recommends after an accident happens, they may deny your claim. Some insurance companies may even drop you. They have been known to do so for less.

All that being said, I have no plans to exceed the manufacturer's recommendations. More because I don't have a use for a trailer that big than fear of any safety factor or liability/insurance issues.

Manufacturers often build in a kind of safety buffer for different things in any case. Unless it's something like fluid changes where most people don't know any better and believe that things like the gear oil in the rear axle is "good for the life of the vehicle" and that 10,000 mile oil changes are a good thing.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I think there is a lot of truth in what you say wildbill23c. I don't think US manufacturers are willing to chance the potential liability due to the general inexperience the general US population with manual transmissions. There is also the issue with insurance companies. If they catch wind of the fact that you are towing over what the vehicle manufacturer recommends after an accident happens, they may deny your claim. Some insurance companies may even drop you. They have been known to do so for less.

All that being said, I have no plans to exceed the manufacturer's recommendations. More because I don't have a use for a trailer that big than fear of any safety factor or liability/insurance issues.

Manufacturers often build in a kind of safety buffer for different things in any case. Unless it's something like fluid changes where most people don't know any better and believe that things like the gear oil in the rear axle is "good for the life of the vehicle" and that 10,000 mile oil changes are a good thing.
I agree, I stick well within the guidelines that the manufacturer says too, I don't even tow close to what a vehicle is rated for, leaves a good space cushion there just in case type thing. Just got home from a pick a part yard, managed to get there and back with the u-joint in the rear drive shaft in the ranger vibrating like crazy, appointment made at the shop to have that taken care of this week. I'm sure I could do the U-joints myself but for $200 they got all the nice fancy tools and a lift, none of which I have LOL.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Hammers are fancy tools? :dunno:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Hammers are fancy tools? :dunno:
More like the press, vise, lift, air tools, etc. that make doing that type of work much easier and faster. My neck, and back hurt for days after crawling around under a vehicle at home, even with a creeper its not any better have no clue why.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You hang out with a creeper?!?! That might not be advisable...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
You hang out with a creeper?!?! That might not be advisable...
LOL. Well the automotive service type, don't have the $8-10k for a lift...someday though, but I want to enclose my carport and turn it into a garage first that way I can put a lift on the concrete pad.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I was told when your rims are touching pavement, you have reached your payload/tow limit.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Brass is for being gentle. U-joint removal is the opposite of gentle...

In the immortal words of Gary Busey "My daddy always said, When you want to insert a nail into a piece of wood, don't do anything fancy or glamorous. Just take the damn hammer and hit the son of a bitch until it's in."

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Brass is for being gentle. U-joint removal is the opposite of gentle...
Brass balls are pretty tough. I've removed u joints with mine...and probably made something pregnant.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals