• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Went to a mechanic they still don’t know what’s wrong (1984 Bronco 2 v6)

Vunotbu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
I bought this thing about a month ago and I was driving it and it just stopped working, it was a distributor cap that broke so I got it fixed, but now it doesn’t make it for more than a 20 minute drive without dying, i would drive And it would work fine then i would stop and if I stopped for a while it would shut off and won’t turn back on and if it did it would have almost no power and it would come in little sputs and then die out again ... if I let it sit for a day or two then it cranks up again just fine. It seems to be a problem when the engine gets a little hot but my gauge seems to be working fine

UPDATE:
Now it won’t turn on at all going to replace the tfi module then see if it changes anything

NEW UPDATE:
I replaced the tfi module and it is still stalling out and not starting when it gets a litle bit warm. Any other things it could be? Or did i not put enough silicon heat sink or did i not bolt it in right?

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I second @Dirtman response. I would also find a new mechanic

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Eh, yea it's kinda obvious for us to think of the TFI module because we are ranger people, but it is an obsolete technology that hasn't been used in 3 decades. Many new mechanics that are extremely gifted have never even worked on a car with a distributor...

I was working on a 75' vette a couple days ago and had to remove the distributor. I had a temporary brain fart on how to set the ignition timing after realizing I haven't done it in probably 10 years.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think what they meant to say was to find an old mechanic...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Eh, yea it's kinda obvious for us to think of the TFI module because we are ranger people, but it is an obsolete technology that hasn't been used in 3 decades. Many new mechanics that are extremely gifted have never even worked on a car with a distributor...

I was working on a 75' vette a couple days ago and had to remove the distributor. I had a temporary brain fart on how to set the ignition timing after realizing I haven't done it in probably 10 years.
Every vehicle i own has a distributor and 2 have TFI's lol.

The wifes escape not withstanding. Athough ford used TFI's clear to 96/97 to my knowledge...on the F series...literally the most popular vehicle on earth. You would think modern mechanic training would atleast touch on the basics of it.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
An 84 would probably have been Duraspark and the module would be my first guess for quitting when hot. I don't understand "distributor cap broke", though. Distributor caps used to often develop carbon tracks inside and the spark would follow them to ground instead of firing through the wires, a lot of people said cracked instead of tracked. I saw a Chevy with a broken distributor cap once, the customer was convinced gas fumes were travelling through the vacuum advance hose, getting into the distributor, and exploding. I replaced the broken left engine mount to keep the engine from slamming the cap into the firewall and the cap stopped "exploding".
Also, if it cranks without starting and fires or starts when the key is released, the distributor stator is likely at fault.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
An 84 would probably have been Duraspark and the module would be my first guess for quitting when hot. I don't understand "distributor cap broke", though. Distributor caps used to often develop carbon tracks inside and the spark would follow them to ground instead of firing through the wires, a lot of people said cracked instead of tracked. I saw a Chevy with a broken distributor cap once, the customer was convinced gas fumes were travelling through the vacuum advance hose, getting into the distributor, and exploding. I replaced the broken left engine mount to keep the engine from slamming the cap into the firewall and the cap stopped "exploding".
Also, if it cranks without starting and fires or starts when the key is released, the distributor stator is likely at fault.
No an 84 2.8 would have the feedback carb with a TFI ignition. Unless it had been swapped to a duraspark setup

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
OK, haven't seen one for a while. Early TFI modules were less reliable than late Duraspark modules.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I think what they meant to say was to find an old mechanic...
So true...9 out of 10 "mechanics" nowadays seem to be completely lost on how a vehicle actually works

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well modern ignition systems are run by computer software not mechanical gadgets... :dunno:

It's really not fair to say a mechanic is bad or stupid because they don't have classic car knowledge. Sure an old timey mechanic is gonna be able to fix and diagnose a no spark issue on an ol' 84 ranger, but give that guy a 2021 edge with a no spark issue and see what happens when the problem is in a network connectivity issue over can-bus #42 between module 376 and the PCM system analysis control node due to a bad data packet recieved during a firmware update. :icon_rofl:

Modern tech has simply moved on so far that mechanics coming out of training today don't bother learning about old stuff. It doesn't make them bad mechanics, it just makes them modern mechanics. When you take an older vehicle for repairs you have to find a mechanic who is old or specializes in classic cars. You don't ask a rocket scientist to fix your tractor. :icon_rofl:

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well modern ignition systems are run by computer software not mechanical gadgets... :dunno:

It's really not fair to say a mechanic is bad or stupid because they don't have classic car knowledge. Sure an old timey mechanic is gonna be able to fix and diagnose a no spark issue on an ol' 84 ranger, but give that guy a 2021 edge with a no spark issue and see what happens when the problem is in a network connectivity issue over can-bus #42 between module 376 and the PCM system analysis control node due to a bad data packet recieved during a firmware update. :icon_rofl:

Modern tech has simply moved on so far that mechanics coming out of training today don't bother learning about old stuff. It doesn't make them bad mechanics, it just makes them modern mechanics.
It doesnt make them good mechanics either. A half trained monkey could figure it out with google in less than 5 minutes. If they cant figure out google can-bus is way out of their league.

We are not talking about magnetos. TFI was used on every gas fullsize ford until '96. There are still millions of them on the road, i see them everyday. Somebody somewhere works on them and it isnt just guys with shady trees.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
"A half trained monkey could figure it out with google in less than 5 minutes. If they cant figure out google can-bus is way out of their league." That's a cheap shot, google can come up with all kinds of info that may or may not fix the problem. Everyone's job looks easy from the outside. I was a mechanic from 72-82 and then a service manager until retirement in 17, my crew could fix anything but they'd have been lost on the stuff I used to work on. I was involved with Fords for all those years but I'd have been more lost trying to fix most of the current stuff. I did at least one valve job a week for years, the new management was going to throw away the valve seat grinding equipment because it hadn't been used in over a decade. One of my old techs snagged it for me and I used it on the 351 in my Ranger. I rebuilt the chassis on a 35 Ford pickup for a friend and it was a learning experience, mechanical brakes, transverse leaf springs, enclosed drive shaft and a banjo rear end, king pins and worm gear steering box, headlight switch mounted on the bottom of the steering box and controlled by a shaft running down from the horn button. That 35 was as close to my experience in the 70's as your 84 is to a tech in 2020. You need a mechanic old enough to have seen an 84 before it was a "classic".

Vunotbu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
And also the air temperature flow sensor was just dangling out not plugged into anything could this be part of the problem?

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals