• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

well..... 20 today.....

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well im 20 today.... june5th and really i feel like ive accomplished nothing, not were i thought id be at twenty thats for sure, it really sucks, has anyone else felt like crap at twenty? like currently im not working and living at home and putting a strain on my parents financailly and it sucks, i do resumes daily and nothings working, its just really,...... disapointing

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well, best of luck to ya! On the bright side, things can't get any worse right? Trades are a wonderful thing to get into if there's any opening available for something that interests you. I moved out shortly after turning 18, been working steady as a HD mech apprentice since, and got my ticket last summer.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
don't worry about it....i gaurantee that your parents don't really mind. If you have been trying to find a job then there is not a whole lot more you can do....especially in this economy. I have a job but since the beginning of last year i've taken about 4-6 months of unemployment, so don't worry about that cause everyone is in the same boat. You are still young and have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do with your life. I was working construction when i was 19 and got to talking with the electrician and got a job with him, then joined into the apprenticeship and now i'm done with 3 of the 4 years of school and about to become a journeyman....you will find a good job just keep trying and try not to worry about it.... good luck!!!

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Happy Birthday. Keep positive, you'll find a job.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Happy birthday mate. I'm turning 24 in a few months and still putting a strain on my mother since I had to leave my trade when the recession hit.

You're not the only one, hang in there.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Happy B-DAy!!!!
Keep your head up and keep trying.
Do a little extra around the house for your parents ,it will make you feel better!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
It is hard, Bro. You could join the military...and maybe become a disabled vet like me...enjoy never walking again normally, enjoy the chronic pain 24/7...the constant doctors visit..or go out and look harder for a decent job. It is tuff if you have no HS deploma...GED's are not being accepted by most companies these day...they want commitment.....like me giving my all to Special Ops and being like I am now. I could not get a job with my condition.
You need to just think real hard at want you want to be...and then do it!!!

If you want to be involed in healthcare it is wide open...someone needs to to these jobs and they pay very well. Several of my frinds are in healthcare and they make great money...but they went to a Tech School to get the training. Check into that, Bro.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Dusty, don't feel too bad. It's a different world than when our parents were 20. I'm 27 and still trying to find my place in this world. (right now it's chucking skids all day at a warehouse. It's dirty and tough on the muscles, but it's hard, honest work!)

Even though I haven't exactly been sucessful career-wise, I've put my talents to good use in other places (working with a community theater group and serving on the board of trustees at my church).

Another thing you could look into is getting your CDL. Granted, you need to be 21 to drive interstate (at least in the USA, not sure about Canada), but it's as my dad puts it, one of those "portable skills" that you never know when you will need. Besides, there's nothing like yanking on the air horn and seeing a kid's face light up like a Christmas tree! Plus, there will always be something that needs to be hauled.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just turned 20 a few months back im sort of in the same place, i mean i have a house and a job but im stuck in a go nowhere kind of job working construction with my family...

would really like to put my schooling to use and get a good welding job but not much around here unless you want to travel, too much responsibility here to leave for a month at a time...

turn in an APP everywhere, sure it would suck working at mcdonalds, but money is money no matter how ya make it

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
happy birthday bud! and keep the positive attitude!

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. And secondly, once you hit 21 years old, age no longer counts. I've been working since I left High School in 2004. My first job as an automotive mechanic was great till AAFES dropped it. Now I'm the most overpaided night stocker. BUT, I at least I still get paid, have a job, have medical and dental, and the time to go back to college. I do have to ament that living with my parents when I'm almost 25 yrs old does seem odd. But I do earn my keep by helping them keep the house and vehicle mantained.

FYI, When I turned 21. I celebrated by buying drinks (drank them at home and did not drive afterwards) and bought my Glock 17 9mm.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Happy Birthday! I agree with Hopman... in most states, you can get your CDL at age 18 and still drive IN state, NOT OUT of state... And at 21 you can drive out of state. A CDL would be a worth-while investment, because theres lots of good drivers needed. While it may not be something you want to do the most, it is something that can get you into a job fairly quickly.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Know the feeling man... My only consolation is that soon enough I'll be out of college and hopefully by then I'll be able to get a job at another place than the hellhole I work at part time.

I feel bad for putting a financial burden on my parents, but at the same time I know I can't afford anything on my own, I have a hard enough time paying the bills that I do have now. So I just try to stay as grateful as I can be with how much they are helping me out right now.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Happy Birthday! And this isn't really the same...but I'm 18. live at home, and I worked all year...and basically all I have to show for it is a couple grand and three vehicles...I feel like I just pissed away a year worth of hard work on stuff like, gas, food, and vehicles. Whereas I should've bought a lil car like a cavy and saved up for next year/the rest of my life. Luckily I'm going into trades and things should look up then. Trades ftw!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals