• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Welders

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Looking into picking up a mig welder to eventually down the street fix some of the rust holes in the floor of my B2 and other things as my truck evolves. I know of the big name brands, Hobart, Lincoln and Miller. I came across the eastwood 135 in my searches for good entry level welders. I've been reviews on the internet and only came up with a couple bad reviews, and some saying you get what you pay for. It seems like it is a good deal for $340 shipped. It seems to have nearly the same specs as the comparable models of the 3 brands listed above.

Has anyone on here had any experience with one, or know of someone with one you could get insight from. Any feedback is appreciated.

Here is a link for the welder on their site.
http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

Thanks

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Appears to be a nice welder. Eastwood is a good company and the price is very reasonable. I use a Hobart Handler 140 and it cost $550. Should be about the same.

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My neighbor has that exact welder and loves it. He hasnt had any problems with it but hes only had it about a year. Ive used it a few times and i think its a nice welder for the price.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Eastwood has been around for a while and should be around for parts and stuff when and if needed.
I have purchased tools from them and have no problems.

The size of that thing should lend itself to bodywork better than a larger unit.

if you can find one near you, check it out first.

Luck

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I would rather buy the Hobart 140 Handler welder... I think it's what replaced the 135.

I use a Hobart 135 Handler. Obviously I needed a welder that would run on 110v at 20 amps....

To fix body panels, you will need .023" wire, and I highly recommend a argon/co2 tank. A 122 CF is a great size for the home shop.

I would also recommend you THROW OUT those crappy regulators that come with the welder, and get a Victor regulator, they can be rebuilt at your local welding shop.(where I live)

I was using the regulator that came with the welder, my Uncle borrowed my welder, and the diaphragm blew out on him while working on a combine. The local shop only rebuilt Victor regulators, would not mess with some unknown Chinese reg., and he had to fork over money for a new Victor regulator.

..and about Eastwood.... They are a "upscale" Harbor Freight. Their Welders and Plasma cutters are straight from China with pretty stickers on them.

USA welders are not that much more expensive than the China stuff. I would buy a USA welder, but I would buy a Chinese Plasma cutter, only because there is a huge $500 price gap.

Last edited:

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
I've got one, it works great. They are on sale for 300 right now.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would also recommend you THROW OUT those crappy regulators that come with the welder, and get a Victor regulator, they can be rebuilt at your local welding shop.(where I live)

I was using the regulator that came with the welder, my Uncle borrowed my welder, and the diaphragm blew out on him while working on a combine. The local shop only rebuilt Victor regulators, would not mess with some unknown Chinese reg., and he had to fork over money for a new Victor regulator.
Why throw it out? If it can't be rebuilt, then just replace it when it goes, I dont see any reason to throw it out right off the bat unless there is something wrong with the design of it or something.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Why throw it out? If it can't be rebuilt, then just replace it when it goes, I dont see any reason to throw it out right off the bat unless there is something wrong with the design of it or something.
Like I said, my uncle was using it in the field and it blew, cost an entire afternoon of downtime. That's why.

A time critical process and the cheap stuff fails, sure I would use it if it was serviceable locally, but all China regulators you have to ship back to some service center, god knows where.

You can't do that when you got a job to get done.

...and yes my Uncle was qualified to use the equipment, a 30 year machinist and hobby farmer. The diaphragm just ruptured.

I learned a lesson, welding regulators, cutting torches, welding helmets, chainsaws, mower engines, hand tools, and vehicles all need local support. Things that when they *break* you can get going quickly in an emergency.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like I said, my uncle was using it in the field and it blew, cost an entire afternoon of downtime. That's why.

A time critical process and the cheap stuff fails, sure I would use it if it was serviceable locally, but all China regulators you have to ship back to some service center, god knows where.

You can't do that when you got a job to get done.

...and yes my Uncle was qualified to use the equipment, a 30 year machinist and hobby farmer. The diaphragm just ruptured.

I learned a lesson, welding regulators, cutting torches, welding helmets, chainsaws, mower engines, hand tools, and vehicles all need local support. Things that when they *break* you can get going quickly in an emergency.
If you can run to town to get a USA one rebuilt you can run to town to get a USA regulator... or keep it on hand for a spare to ensure that the China one never fails.

I am something of a tighwad, I won't throw away a good part :icon_thumby:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you can run to town to get a USA one rebuilt you can run to town to get a USA regulator... or keep it on hand for a spare to ensure that the China one never fails.

I am something of a tighwad, I won't throw away a good part :icon_thumby:
Well my birthday is next week, my parents said they would chip in $100 so I may go with the Hobart handler 140.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I do body work with .30 flux core. No shielded gas. It's ok.... haha takes practice.

Invest In some heavy duty magnets to hold your patch in place and make you a copper spoon out of a piece of aluminum pipe. You will thank me for both.

Last edited:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Welp, picked up the hobart 140. So what gas mix do you guys run?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals