• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Warranty issues on jacked/wheel upgraded new trucks?

DaveyFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys... this is my first time owning a brand new vehicle. All of my previous vehicles have been heavily modified and I'm starting to get the itch with the new FX4. Anyways with that said, how do you guys find Ford's warranty policy when it comes to lifting and adding bigger rubber? I know with certain companies (VW/Audi comes immediately to mind) get really sticky as soon as you start modifying new vehicles and I'm wondering if Ford is the same.

I'm looking to do either a torsion twist, shackles and a set of 31's or 32's or I may go bigger and do a full suspension upgrade and 33-35's.

The last thing I want is to jack it and up the tire size and have Ford deny warranty claims for items not related to the suspension and drivetrain components.

Thanks.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have heard of claims being denyed because of lift kits...

But a dealership here in Omaha has been known to park brand new, lifted trucks with custom paint and all sorts of add ons in front of Cabela's... so it may be something to take up with your dealership.

DaveyFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have heard of claims being denyed because of lift kits...

But a dealership here in Omaha has been known to park brand new, lifted trucks with custom paint and all sorts of add ons in front of Cabela's... so it may be something to take up with your dealership.
I actually work for a dealership group which has 3 Ford stores under their wing and all 3 stores have jacked full-sizes out front. Hmmm, I may have to talk to a few service managers and get some clarification regarding this.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What my dealer made very clear to me is that ANY changes to the vehicle-TT, shackles, bigger tires, reenders all warranty null and void.

But I've done all 3 anyways, I'll just have to un-do them if the truck breaks in a warrantyable way.....

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Well here's the scoop........ for F-150's anyways.

I was told by very reliable source from Ford that they DO NOT get concerned UP TO 4" lift and 35" tires. Over that, you can get denied warranty. This is for suspension and driveline. As for power add-on parts, major power adder's can be denied such as superchargers/ nitrous .Programmers that cause a engine/trans failure can be denied but if you develop a vacuum leak or bad O2 sensor NOT CAUSED BY INSTALLATION OF AFTERMARKET parts/kits, you're OK. Cold air intakes, cat-back exhaust is OK.

Same applies to Super Duty's but can get away with larger tires, within reason.

As for Rangers, if you go rolling into a dealership wanting warranty on failed/worn ball joints or wheel bearings running 35" tires, you'll be S.O.L. If you develop a engine knock on same truck-- as long as you haven't swamped it-- it'll be hard for them to deny warranty. They may charge you extra retail $$'s for access but thats the price of wanting a bigger new truck.

When it comes down to it, find a lifted truck friendly dealership and work with them. Despite popular belief, we techs can tell if you sucked water into the engine or blew head gaskets due to a programmer. Don't try to pull the hat over our eye's and you should be fine.

Last edited:

DaveyFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your help. That's very in-depth.

Not to threadjack my own thread but you have a Grabber Orange '08? Good kill... I tried and tried to find one with a 5-speed and leather and it was impossible.

Last edited:

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Thanks for your help. That's very in-depth.

Not to threadjack my own thread but you have a Grabber Orange '08? Good kill... I tried and tried to find one with a 5-speed and leather and it was impossible.
Yeah I know. I wanted a manual trans but I wanted the Orange more.
So far as I can tell, no Grabber Orange FX4 were built with a manual trans. According to Ford ( at the time last fall ) the manual trans was late availability while the Grabber Orange was to be a limited production meaning the two were never going to over lap. :dunno:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As for Rangers, if you go rolling into a dealership wanting warranty on failed/worn ball joints or wheel bearings running 35" tires, you'll be S.O.L. If you develop a engine knock on same truck-- as long as you haven't swamped it-- it'll be hard for them to deny warranty. They may charge you extra retail $$'s for access but thats the price of wanting a bigger new truck.
A Super Duty was just denied at the dealership my brother works at with 35" MT's and a small lift for a fried tranny. It was an extended warrentee thing where they sent an inspector down to check it out, at first sight of the tires it was denied, although if the tranny couldn't take them in was already on the way out anyway...

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The only way LEGALLY that any dealership can deny the warranty is if they can PROVE without a reasonable doubt that the modification caused the problem with the vehicle.

Read the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm

Maurice, Maurice, don't you even read what you post?

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided.

From Ford's Warranty:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED?
Damage Caused By:
*accidents, collision or objects striking the vehicle
*theft, vandalism, or riot
*fire or explosion
*freezing
*misusing the vehicle, such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing,
or using the vehicle as a stationary power source
*altering or modifying the vehicle - including the body, chassis, or
components - after the vehicle leaves Ford’s control

*non-Ford parts installed after the vehicle leaves Ford’s control. For
example, but not limited to, cellular phones, alarm systems, and
automatic starting systems

*tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems, or
with other parts that affect these systems

The law states in relevant part:
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The only way LEGALLY that any dealership can deny the warranty is if they can PROVE without a reasonable doubt that the modification caused the problem with the vehicle.

And, more information:

By Joe Bradley, Manager of Ford's Warranty Analysis department

"As you might expect from the company that formed SVT, the Ford Motor Company has many employees who are true performance enthusiasts -- folks who love and care for their personal high-performance vehicles as much as or more than the next guy or gal. Many of us, in fact, are true "weekend warriors" who can be found at the local drag strip or road course on Saturdays and Sundays, and tinkering under the hood during weekday evenings getting ready for the next event. As automotive enthusiasts, we certainly can appreciate performance machinery.

That said, as Ford employees we all want to do the right thing for our customers as well as for the Ford Motor Company. That is precisely why it is important to have a concise, easy-to-understand policy with regard to Ford warranty administration. For vehicles that are not modified, the Ford warranty policy is clear – the company backs its products within the guidelines of the new vehicle limited warranty, which is designed to protect the customer from defects in factory workmanship and/or material.

However, in the case of vehicles that have been modified, one needs to understand that the modifications may affect warranty coverage. This is simply because any damage or failure of new vehicle components or systems that was caused by modifications to the vehicle are not defects in "factory supplied" workmanship or material.

To illustrate this point, let's consider a small sample of vehicle modifications and see how they might affect factory components or systems: When it comes to changing the factory engine drive pulleys, there are some powertrain system and component concerns that deserve consideration. One would be any electrical and/or charging system problems that arise because of reduced alternator operating speed caused by the installation of underdrive pulleys. After all, the performance and serviceability of many system components are based on certain design parameters that include operating speed. The same goes for problems stemming from higher cooling system temperatures because of reduced water pump flow caused by the installation of underdrive pulleys. Increased underhood temperatures caused by owner-induced changes to a factory design-specification part can have a detrimental effect on any number of powertrain components or systems – some that may have long-range implications. And things can get even more serious when supercharger pulley changes are made, including head gasket leaks and piston and connecting rod failures. Also possible is piston damage due to detonation from improper air/fuel and timing modifications.

The installation of any non-factory forced induction system can also cause problems. Base engines modified with aftermarket superchargers, turbochargers or nitrous oxide injection systems may indeed bring about some power gains, but they can cause piston, connecting rod and/or crankshaft failures as well.

Other parts of a vehicle's factory-spec drivetrain are also susceptible to damage when engine torque and horsepower is increased. Performance chips or other power-enhancing devices increase torque loads on the driveline and can force failure of the transmission and/or rear axle. The latter problem can be especially true when owners switch to wider tires or racing slicks in an effort to increase traction. Even non "go-fast" aftermarket accessories such as remote starters, alarms, supplementary gauges and audio equipment can cause electrical system service problems if they are installed incorrectly or have improper connections.

When it comes to fairly evaluating the possibility of a warranty denial, there's one simple rule of thumb to follow: Although the installation of non-Ford parts and aftermarket modifications, by themselves, will not void the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty, failures that result from these parts and/or modifications may result in a denial of warranty coverage for such failures or damage.

The bottom line is, Ford Motor Company wants each of its owners to enjoy their product to the fullest extent – and that includes performance vehicles. But dealer service technicians have seen, and continue to see, that modifications may cause the original design to fail. The addition of aftermarket parts is a risk that each and every vehicle owner must evaluate for themselves. All that's needed is a reasonable dose of common sense. When and if you modify your vehicle, please consider whether the modification may cause another component to fail – and if it does, recognize that warranty coverage for that failure or damage will likely be denied. "

And, read the vehicle manufacturer warranty section in this article, which is almost 4 years old:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/internetprivacy/2004-12-27-auto-blackbox_x.htm

...and one more:

http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA529380

This law was written to protect the public against vehicle manufactures demanding that only their consumable parts (oil filters, oil, etc.) could be
used, or the warranty was void. Bottom line, you can use a Purolator oil
filter, instead of a Motorcraft oil filter and your warranty will not be void!
"Performance" mods are a different story, period, as stated by Joe Bradley!

A little more detail:

I’ll try to make this as short as possible so please bear with me. First, I am not expert and this is ONLY my opinion based on reading not only the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act but many other articles written based off of it.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was intended and is intended to protect the consumer, the person who bought the vehicle, from the manufacture dictating to them, the consumer, that they MUST use the manufactures oils, filters, belts, tires, etc, the list goes on.

Now, a manufacture can FORCE you to use only their parts BUT if they do they, the manufacture, must supply it to you free of charge and free of any labor cost. That is the very short version of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

The “Act” will NOT protect you if you install “performance enhancing” parts, such as a supercharger, nitrous oxide, suspension kits, etc. The reason is when you install those kinds of parts you are in fact “altering” the original design of the vehicle and frankly I would stand side by side with any manufacture in any court and take their side.

No one has a right to alter the vehicles original design AND then expect the manufacture to warranty items rendered defective because of said parts. For example if you install a supercharger and blow your motor, transmission or rear-end tough luck that’s your fault and NOT the manufactures.

With that said, the above example would ONLY render your power train warranty invalided but none of the rest of the warranty. People look at the warranty as a complete package and it is NOT, it has many entities to it such as electrical, suspension etc. While one may be rendered invalid the rest is not.

Personally I hope no manufacture would ever have to pay for repairs to someone’s vehicle that puts on a cold air intake and then blows the motor because of a lean condition. If the manufacture was ever forced to do those then guess what? We all pay for the dummies who know nothing about properly tuning a vehicle. Trust me the manufacture will indeed pass that cost along to everyone in the form of higher vehicle prices.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is ONLY FOR aftermarket parts that MEET the manufactures specifications. If you use the wrong motor oil that does not meet Ford’s specifications guess what? You out of luck because you just voided your warranty for failure to use the PROPER specified parts.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is NOT and has NEVER been for aftermarket PERFORMANCE INHANCING parts.

FORD CLEARLY STATES THE FOLLOWING:

From the Ford Cars and Light Trucks 2006 Model Year Warranty Guide (June 2005, Fourth Printing) page 8:

Not covered by the warranty:

”Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
* alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Form Motor Company.

That right their my friends should put everybody’s mind to rest because ANY alterations or modifications will void that part of the warranty. Cold air intake, tunes, programs then kiss the power train, transmission and rear-end warranty bye-bye. Lowering kits, kiss the suspension, possibly the transmission and rear-end warranty bye-bye etc…

DaveyFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I know. I wanted a manual trans but I wanted the Orange more.
So far as I can tell, no Grabber Orange FX4 were built with a manual trans. According to Ford ( at the time last fall ) the manual trans was late availability while the Grabber Orange was to be a limited production meaning the two were never going to over lap. :dunno:
Makes sense that I was unable to source one out through about half a dozen Ford-based resources. Funny how none of my guys knew about the early '08 availability of the Grabber Orange special edition colour and the late availability of the manual tranny though. :shok:

Can I assume that I have a relatively rare truck being manual and leather-equipped? My salesperson, the detailer who was preparing my vehicle for delivery and the delivery person all commented on how they rarely see Rangers with this combo.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maurice, Maurice, don't you even read what you post?
Did you read what I posted? How about you go back and read it and then try calling me out. Obviously you didn't read it because you would have saw this:

engdept in post #9 said:
Wow Bob, you sure jump to conclusions too fast. Seems someone that holds yourself of higher caliber wouldn't jump to such conclusions.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

My example was an extended warrentee issue, it had timed out of the factory warrentee. They can make their own rules to play by as long as they find idiots to sign the dotted line.

The hard part is while the dealer has to to prove that whatever you thought was better than stock did cause the problem, you have to prove that it didn't. Kinda hard to prove that bigger tires couldn't cause a drivetrain problem, because they easily can.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals