Want a nicer radio in this thing

vader1701

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
Our new truck came with the basic radio with back up camera. We want to upgrade it to a Navigation/Satellite radio and it has to have the factory back up camera feature. Any ideas? Has anyone done this or have any suggestions?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 32B05A80BF19AF Expires: July 1st, 2020

Grumpaw

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Check the Crutchfield web site. If any company would know, they would. I'm sure they carry upgrades that will work with your factory stuff.

vader1701

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
I never thought of Crutchfield. yes I will take a gander and call them, thank you for the input

sgtsandman

Aircraft Tank Diver
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
My credo
I sniff fuel for a living. Don't judge me!
Good luck. With as integrated as the radios are into the information system of the truck. Factory might be the only solution and I’m sure it will be expensive.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
205/75-R15
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Dang anyone remember when "upgrading" a radio just meant adding a CD player head unit to what used to be an AM/FM radio LOL. Today, it seems a radio replacement involves a lot of hacking due to the stuff incorporated into them...and some I believe also house at least part of the anti-theft system so its not just a remove and install anymore sadly....and it gets expensive. A co-worker just did a radio replacement in her 2018 Ford Escape and it was $1400.

Grumpaw

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I remember when cars and trucks didn't come with radios. There were plates over the dash openings called "radio delete" plates.
You had to order a radio which was usually just a knob controlled AM only . Speaker was in the top center of the dash. A big upgrade was getting a push button radio, and it wasn't until the 70's when you could get an AM/FM radio.
Big upgrade was getting a factory installed rear speaker.
No such thing as "stereo" back then.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not too difficult, can buy complete kits for $$, or source used APIM, screen and bezel). Maybe 30 mins to install.

Download Forscan, pay for the 12 month license and configure as needed

snoranger

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'17
Make / Model
All Fords
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I remember when cars and trucks didn't come with radios. There were plates over the dash openings called "radio delete" plates.
You had to order a radio which was usually just a knob controlled AM only . Speaker was in the top center of the dash. A big upgrade was getting a push button radio, and it wasn't until the 70's when you could get an AM/FM radio.
Big upgrade was getting a factory installed rear speaker.
No such thing as "stereo" back then.
My ‘79 f350 was ordered without a radio, but with air conditioning... that seems like a strange combo to me. I’d love to be able to ask my grandfather his reasoning for that.

Ace Holliday

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Dang anyone remember when "upgrading" a radio just meant adding a CD player head unit to what used to be an AM/FM radio LOL. Today, it seems a radio replacement involves a lot of hacking due to the stuff incorporated into them...and some I believe also house at least part of the anti-theft system so its not just a remove and install anymore sadly....and it gets expensive. A co-worker just did a radio replacement in her 2018 Ford Escape and it was $1400.
I do. I also remember upgrading my first car to a Craig 8 Track player. The 60's were a while back.