• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

vid card problem, need help

User Name missing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an older Dell 4600 P4 desktop with XP Pro (up to date) and an nvidia geforce 5200FX AGP vid card. I recently swapped out the IDE hard drives for SATA, installed windows blah blah blah. After installing windows, the vid card wasn’t recognized in the device manager. So I popped in the disc that came with the PC and tried installing the drivers. After installation and reboot, it would show the windows loading screen but completely crap out afterwards. The monitor would shut off as is it were not receiving a signal. Booted into safe mode, did a system restore and works again. Somewhere along the way, the PC recognized the card and is listed in the device manager. But I’ve tried updating the drivers many ways and every time I get the crap out after the Win loading screen. And if I try watching videos (mpg, avi, whatever, using media player 9) or browse the net using IE8, maybe a few other things set it off, the screen will flicker and after a few minutes it will crap out as it the monitor isn’t receiving a signal. The PC stills runs as if nothing happens, but the monitor will shut off. It didn’t start doing this until after the fresh install and trying to install/update video drivers.

I’ve tried booting into safemode, uninstalling the vid drivers, reinstalling, etc etc and I still get the same problem. Can this be fixed? Is maybe the card going bad or is this a software issue? Its hard to believe that it is the monitor, because if it were, the flicker/shut down would be completely random and not triggered by anything in specific.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
The drivers load after the windows start screen.

If you have onboard video, remove the card and boot off of the onboard video system (may have to enable onboard in BIOS). If that works download updated drivers for the vid card before re-installing the video card. If onboard video doesn't work, plan on a new motherboard.

If you don't have onboard video, boot into safe boot with networking and down load the updated video drivers.

You might also try installing drivers from the original disk that came with the vid card.

PM me if needed

Last edited:

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
you can start, as srteach said, by installing drivers from video card install disc and then downloading updated drivers.
if you do not have the install disc, here is link to download updated drivers for your video card.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals