• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Vibration

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Then said it was because all my tires had Slime in them so they cleaned them out (they're leaking air again so thanks for that) so really all it did was move the range of vibration. Any ideas what it could be?
If the vibration changed when the tires were "worked on" even if it only changed the range at which they vibrate, then you have already confirmed it's the tires. There also all leaking and full of slime which tells me they are old and not well cared for. You also can't physically see an out of balance tire by spinning it on a jack stand.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
@Dirtman advice is sound, just salty....as is he.

Its gonna cost money, or time....same thing 🤷‍♂️

I personally try to balance between the two, and usually PITA factor is what makes a difference.

Oh and also in regards to tires I more so meant maybe one of the wheel balancers flew off and now its out of balance. I noticed they would fly off my motorcycle if I went fast enough and did't duct tape them down. So now on my vehicles I usually drop a little super glue on the outer weights and a layer of duct tap over any of the stick on weights.

Anyways look for any evidence of missing weights (shape marks, fresh peeled tape etc)

If you see anything suspect, have a tire shop throw it on the balancer. If you have more time that money you can probably find a new or used manual tire balancer cheap.

If you havent already, maybe try just rotating the tires, perhaps that can at least help track down if its something else.

I think probably tire issue, but/and also something else that cause the tires to become an issue, maybe shocks?

This is one of those it could be anything, but also lots of things you can do to figure it out. I'd keep messing with it.

Dustnesko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If it helps, almost everything is old. The previous people didn't take care of it much. Idk what was and wasn't done to it

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
a cheap trick for vibrating tires is to remove them, turn 1/2 rotation and put them back on.
do it one at a time. evenly torque the nuts.

vibrations are the sum of all drive line parts, sometimes you can "mix 'n match" for better results.
the rear tolerates wobbles better than the front.

tires vibrate for basically 2 reasons, they ain't round, or they're out of balance.
and yes you can get both at the same time.

at speeds of 30 or less you can sometimes feel the slight wobble from out of round, above 50 the balance starts to take over.

by the way, "out of round" can mean several things:
they are not round
the tread is thicker on one side than the other (that's from the previous 65-70 vibration wear pattern)
thread/belt separation
the tire may be stiffer or weaker in one spot
and of course the wheels (and brakes) may not be perfect either.

in the rear loose wheel bearings can cause vibration issues.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
If it helps, almost everything is old. The previous people didn't take care of it much. Idk what was and wasn't done to it
That doesnt mean its all bad, but does probably mean your gonna have to throw some part$$ at it.

Totally forgot to mention while you had the tires up to check the driveshaft. old/bad u joints will cause major vibration, and are relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Also anything "old" that has a grease fitting can be hit with the grease gun and be good again. Grease em up!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals