• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vehicle Inventory Survey

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I received a couple of semi-threatening letters from the census bureau about a vehicle use survey I'm supposed to take. It says the law requires my response. Some research shows its a survey of only truck owners. Has anyone else seen one of these in their mailbox?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Nope.

Call the census bureau and ask about it. Don't use any contact info from the letters. Look up the phone # online. They could be a scam.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I checked it out on the web and it appears to be legitimate. Apparently they've done them before but not for 20 years. My first thought too was scam. The letter looked suspiciously like the warranty ones that imitate IRS mailings. It looks like they're surveying 150,000 people. Not sure why, but the whole "response required by law" makes me not want to fill it out.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
wow. why would the census need info on use of a non commercial small truck?

Tell them you use it as yard art and occasionally to show the DudeBro's in their skinny tire lifted full size trucks what a real truck is capable of.

AJ

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My understanding is that the only legally required information that the US Census can force you to respond to is the number of people residing in a household. They typically threaten that you have to answer any question they ask but my understanding is that they can ask but they actually can’t force. I’m not an attorney though.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
For the life of me I cannot figure why they would require that. It honestly sounds like a scam to me, it just does not make sense.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I looked it up after I responded earlier. It looks legit.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
From what I gathered on the Gov site, they are trying to get an idea of traffic patterns so they can put money into infrastructure where it's most needed.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
If it’s from the government you can bet your ass it’s a scam to separate us from our money. They’ll say it’s for infrastructure but it will go to lining their pockets and buy off any oversight. Rule #1; Politicians, attorneys, marketers and used car salesmen can never be trusted.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
“For infrastructure”...

Like what was in the “Infrastructure” bill that was mostly not for what is traditionally called infrastructure?

Legal or not. It sounds like bs. What would a light truck, especially a smaller light truck have to do with anything? Road impact and traffic patterns would be no different than a car.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
“For infrastructure”...

Like what was in the “Infrastructure” bill that was mostly not for what is traditionally called infrastructure?

Legal or not. It sounds like bs. What would a light truck, especially a smaller light truck have to do with anything? Road impact and traffic patterns would be no different than a car.
They're probably trying to figure out how much money they can make off of a "pickup tax"

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
In a way they already have this information, The bmv is part of the government. I refused the census crap & nothing ever came of it. Idle threats, as pointless as a unsharpened pencil.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My understanding is that the only legally required information that the US Census can force you to respond to is the number of people residing in a household. They typically threaten that you have to answer any question they ask but my understanding is that they can ask but they actually can’t force. I’m not an attorney though.

No, you are legally required to respond to the Decennial Census, American Community Survey, and the Economic (business) Census.

I don't understand why people are so paranoid about the Census. The Decennial Census is used to count the number of people. That information is used for redistricting and apportionment. Federal funding is based on population. That's money for schools, road improvement, infrastructure, disaster aid, and many other things.

The American Community Survey expands on the Decennial Census. Through the information gathered in it we can correlate income levels and demographics. What kind of jobs (job sectors) people have, where people are commuting to and from to get to work, educational attainment levels, and other trends. The types of new vehicles people have been purchasing over the last decade has shifted away from cars to SUVs and trucks. I can only speculate that the ACS is gathering data to get a better view of the trends. The data is then released and is public, but depersonalized. Various government agencies can use the data for things like future planning. If the data shows more people and more cars, that means more funding for roads. Businesses and the general public also have access to the data. Just as an example, if you develop shopping centers and you are building a new shopping center where there is a disproportionately large number of SUV/truck owners you might consider making the parking stalls large enough to accommodate something larger than a go cart. If you are building a shopping center where there are a lot of senior citizens, maybe you add more disabled parking stalls. Or, charging stations for areas where there are a lot of electric vehicles.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
In a way they already have this information, The bmv is part of the government. I refused the census crap & nothing ever came of it. Idle threats, as pointless as a unsharpened pencil.
You mean the DMV? The DMV is a state agency. Typically, information obtained by the DMV is sold. Usually to the private sector, like data aggregators, insurance companies, etc. The Census isn't allowed to use that information, or information from the IRS in bulk if it contains personal information. The Census is required to do their own independent surveys. This is somewhat standard across most Federal agencies and that's the way it should be when personal information is part of the dataset. However, in some cases, an agency may be able to get that information from other sources if you fail to respond to the survey. Most commonly, they obtain the information through a proxy, which is most likely going to be a neighbor.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Ignore it like I do for jury duty summons. If something doesn't come by certified mail that you sign for it never came and the burden of proof is on the sender.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals