• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Explorer Timing issues?...Please Help

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay I am having serious issues with my 1996 v8 Ranger. The donor is a 97 Mountaineer. When you start it the engine idles fine....you give it gas the engine hesitates badley under a load and sounds like its starving for air....you can turn it off and crank it back up and it does the same thing....BUT...if the engine dies on its own and I recrank it the Stupid thing runs EXCELLENT until I turn it off and crank it back up then it starts the crappy cycle over again. The engine will only crank with the MAf unhooked also....and when its running and you hook it back up the engine dies. I replaced the Camshaft drive synchronizer and the CMP sensor..and properly aligned it, IAC, TPS, Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter....I thought it would help but the issue is the same...I am lost on whats wrong...I had someone tell me its the computer.. Oh and my Gas mileage is TERRIBLE. The only thing thats not factory on the engine is a set of 24lb injectors, 24lb Maf sensor and Mustang fuel rails..Everything else is stock parts from a complete Mountaineer donor. I even swapped in the Mountaineer fuel pump into the tank. Any help or advice would be great.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
What computer and wiring harness are you using?

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am using the Pcm and Harness that came with the Engine...the Pcm # F77F-12A650BCD..I had a complete donor vehicle.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I would check out all your connections as it sounds like you might have a couple of connectors crossed. I know that they are all suppost to be diffrent but there is a few that can be the same. I know that you are going to say no they are all right but just do yourself a favor and a save the headache and double check them with a book or really look at all the connectors and see if any are close to each other that could possibly be crossed. Check all of your grounds to as they can cause alot of issues. I hope that this helps and let us all know how it goes.......Mike.

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I will do that....there were a few plug in that were similar looking..I will let you know how it goes.

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I went back out with my Explorer repair manual and evtm and checked each plug-in via wire colors and everything is plugged up correctly. I did eliminate the Egr from the engine...and I checked all the codes and they are not supposed to affect the driveability. I drove the Mountaineer for a couple months before I did the swap so I know it ran fine prior to the swap....It did take me alittle over a year once I dismantled the Mountaineer to get it all back together....not that it should matter. I have replaced every sensor that I thought would make a difference..except for the O2's..but I am not getting any codes on them. Any other suggestions/ trouble shooting ideas.

allnpt0

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I did my install, I had a issue with it running like crap. Mine is a 90 Mark Vii motor, trans, A9P PCM with mass air from a 91 Mustang GT Auto. I bought a new Ford motorsports harness. I have a Explorer 5.0 intake and throttle body. I deleted the EGR. The truck would start and idle great. But when I tried to drive it, it would fall on its face. It would die and was hard to restart. I had to hold my foot to the floor like it was flooded. I never did find the problem. It just worked it's way out of it. The truck runs great now. As a matter of fact I just drove a 675 mile round trip yesterday and it averaged 23.7 mpg.

Just try and drive it for a few days and see if it gets better. Hope this helps.

Pete

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals