• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Unintentional flashing of the dashboard when opening the doors...

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have an electrical problem on my 1993 ranger 4l V6 2wd!
Since this weekend, after having completed the repair of the brakes, I have noticed that every time I open a door, my instrument panel, my front indicators and my rear lights start flashing for several seconds.. .
During this period of time, there is nothing to do, with or without the ignition key...once the door is closed, it stops, but if I open a door again, it starts again!
I wonder if this is not due to an old circuit breaker which creates a false contact...has anyone encountered this problem before?

Thank you for you precious help
Fabi1

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
It doesnt have an alarm system does it?

My old 94 E150 conversion had an alarm system that someone had unhooked the noise part but would do goofy shit like that.

Id poke around under the dash and see if you see any aftermarket boxes or anything.

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It doesnt have an alarm system does it?

My old 94 E150 conversion had an alarm system that someone had unhooked the noise part but would do goofy shit like that.

Id poke around under the dash and see if you see any aftermarket boxes or anything.
I totally think that. I had to remove countless cables used for an old sounder system, with subwoofer amplifier... and in fact I found myself with quite a bunch of cables under the dashboard, including boxes. I don't know what all this is for. There is a transparent one that flashes when you touch it. It seems to have been a CB because I have cable pins in the gap under the heating controls. ah, and I also have an on/off switch as well as a sort of magnetic key to insert...I'll take photos for you so that it's clearer. I will post these photos in about 4 hours. but thank you for this food for thought

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I totally think that. I had to remove countless cables used for an old sounder system, with subwoofer amplifier... and in fact I found myself with quite a bunch of cables under the dashboard, including boxes. I don't know what all this is for. There is a transparent one that flashes when you touch it. It seems to have been a CB because I have cable pins in the gap under the heating controls. ah, and I also have an on/off switch as well as a sort of magnetic key to insert...I'll take photos for you so that it's clearer. I will post these photos in about 4 hours. but thank you for this food for thought
That sounds like a royal shitshow lol.

I dont know how much i can help but im sure someone can

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I think Rusty is right. It sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm or keyless entry system (or parts of one).

While the truck is flashing the lights, listen closely for a clicking sound coming from the aftermarket control module. They have a relay to flash the lights, which makes a clicking sound.

If the truck does have old aftermarket wiring, it would be a good idea to carefully remove it and in general clean up the wiring mess.

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think Rusty is right. It sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm or keyless entry system (or parts of one).

While the truck is flashing the lights, listen closely for a clicking sound coming from the aftermarket control module. They have a relay to flash the lights, which makes a clicking sound.

If the truck does have old aftermarket wiring, it would be a good idea to carefully remove it and in general clean up the wiring mess.
I don't like electrical DIY but in fact I'm going to have to get started with this mess of electrical cables under the dashboard. what's curious is that it didn't happen to me before this weekend and my radio turns on and no sound comes from the speakers... the electricity is driving me crazy
Thanks for your answer

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I don't like electrical DIY but in fact I'm going to have to get started with this mess of electrical cables under the dashboard. what's curious is that it didn't happen to me before this weekend and my radio turns on and no sound comes from the speakers... the electricity is driving me crazy
Thanks for your answer
My electrical knowledge amounts to a baby pissing in the pacific...

But if im going to guess the two issues are unrelated. Unless someone did some really, really, super creative wireing on it.

The lights shouldnt blink....hell they didnt factory...so there is some sort of aftermarket BS causing that.

The radio im going to guess is more then likely related to the miles of cables. Somethings probably not grounded or unhooked or god knows

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks for your answer
Just go slow, ask questions here, and if you're able to post some pictures of what you see there are people on here who can help you with it.

Good luck!

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Je pense que Rusty a raison. Il semble que vous disposiez d'une alarme de rechange ou d'un système d'entrée sans clé (ou de parties d'un système).

Pendant que le camion fait clignoter les lumières, écoutez attentivement un clic provenant du module de commande du marché secondaire. Ils ont un relais pour faire clignoter les lumières, ce qui produit un déclic.

Si le camion est équipé d'un vieux câblage de rechange, ce serait une bonne idée de le retirer soigneusement et, en général, de nettoyer le désordre du câblage.
[/CITATION]
Le boîtier en question ! C'est lui qui faisait écho au clignotement et depuis qu'il est débranché, plus de problème.
en revanche je ne sais pas quoi faire de tout ça et le son ne sort toujours pas de ma radio, mais je verrai ça plus tard.😉
IMG20240219183421.jpg
IMG20240219185017.jpg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

WOW! Your truck is a museum for vintage aftermarket accessories.

Great pictures; thank you.

Picture 1: parts of an aftermarket engine immobilizer.

Picture 2: an aftermarket remote-control alarm system control unit (the loose black wire is the antenna).

Picture #3: an aftermarket magnetic induction shock sensor; part of the alarm system.

Picture #4: aftermarket relay, almost certainly a starter interrupt. Likely connected to the immobilizer, but it could be connected to the alarm, or both.

Picture #5: the wires tied up with the black nylon tie-strap are aftermarket. The rest are OEM.

Picture #6: the aftermarket alarm.

Pictures #7, #8, #9 are all of factory OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) wiring. Picture #8 is the OEM connector for the Triple Function Switch; since your truck has a auto transmission, that is a shorting jumper that's plugged into it.

From what I see, removing all of the aftermarket crap will be pretty straightforward, by disconnecting aftermarket wires from factory wires, and taping up any opened insulation after inspecting the OEM wiring strands for damage.

Your biggest issue will be the starter interrupt relay; you will have to splice the cut OEM starter wires back together after removing the relay wires.

Eurospec (I think it was called "Tatchem") security system wiring specs from back then called for all black wires, so your stuff looks to be US installed, or US spec equipment installed there. Immobilizer systems were more of a thing in Europe, than in the US.

If you want to try and remove all of that garbage I can probably walk you through it; or better yet, if you don't mind sending me a plane ticket, I'll be glad to come and do it for you! As long as we can see Paris after I'm done. :headbang:

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
OUAH! Votre camion est un musée d’accessoires de rechange vintage.

Belles images; merci.

Photo 1 : pièces d'un dispositif d'immobilisation de moteur de rechange.

Image 2 : une unité de commande de système d'alarme télécommandée de rechange (le fil noir lâche est l'antenne).

Image n°3 : un capteur de choc à induction magnétique de rechange ; partie intégrante du système d'alarme.

Image n°4 : relais de rechange, presque certainement une interruption du démarreur. Probablement connecté à l'antidémarrage, mais il pourrait être connecté à l'alarme, ou aux deux.

Photo n°5 : les fils attachés avec la sangle d'attache en nylon noir sont des pièces de rechange. Le reste est OEM.

Photo n°6 : l'alarme du marché secondaire.

Les images n°7, n°8 et n°9 représentent toutes le câblage d'usine OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). L'image n°8 est le connecteur OEM pour le commutateur triple fonction ; puisque votre camion est équipé d'une transmission automatique, c'est un cavalier de court-circuit qui y est branché.

D'après ce que je vois, éliminer toutes les conneries du marché secondaire sera assez simple, en déconnectant les fils du marché secondaire des fils d'usine et en scotchant toute isolation ouverte après avoir inspecté les brins de câblage OEM pour déceler tout dommage.

Votre plus gros problème sera le relais d’interruption du démarreur ; vous devrez recoller les fils de démarreur OEM coupés ensemble après avoir retiré les fils de relais.

Les spécifications de câblage du système de sécurité Eurospec (je pense qu'il s'appelait "Tatchem") de l'époque appelaient tous les fils noirs, donc vos affaires semblent être installées aux États-Unis, ou un équipement conforme aux spécifications américaines y est installé. Les systèmes d'immobilisation étaient plus répandus en Europe qu'aux États-Unis.

Si vous voulez essayer de supprimer toutes ces ordures, je peux probablement vous guider à travers cela ; ou mieux encore, si cela ne vous dérange pas de m'envoyer un billet d'avion, je serai ravi de venir le faire pour vous ! Tant qu'on pourra voir Paris quand j'aurai fini. :headbang:
[/CITATION]
Je suis impressionné par ce savoir !
merci pour tout ces informations précieuses. Pour le billet d'avion, ça serait avec plaisir, quand ont lieu vos prochaines vacances ?😜

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You're welcome, and that's the first time that I have used google translate. Pretty cool!

No need to wait for vacation; I'm retired so I'm always on vacation. :)

Seriously, if you think that you would like to try and clean up the old wiring yourself, with such good pictures I could likely explain to you what to do.

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You're welcome, and that's the first time that I have used google translate. Pretty cool!

No need to wait for vacation; I'm retired so I'm always on vacation. :)

Seriously, if you think that you would like to try and clean up the old wiring yourself, with such good pictures I could likely explain to you what to do.
Sorry for the text in French, I was on my phone which translates the entire forum and I thought it would do the opposite to make it easier for you to understand.
But it's ok, I understood everything.
I'll try to spend some time on these cables before next weekend.
I have other photos of the engine compartment but of poorer quality, I will take some again with flash, for a better perception.
otherwise, I also have this little switch located near the brake release handle. Would you also know what it is, and if it has anything to do with the anti-theft system? I haven't seen what it's connected to yet.
IMG_20240220_081040.jpg

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
While waiting for better quality photos, here is what is in the engine compartment. A residue of what could have been the sound part of the alarm, and a box resembling a circuit breaker, as well as an extension of battery terminals...there are many things to remove in there, no ? I want to clear my path

IMG20240219183033.jpg
IMG20240219183029.jpg
IMG20240219183118.jpg
👨‍🔧
Thanks again for your help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals