• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

u-joints 6 in 20,000 miles. HELP

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 86 ranger (3 inch body lift so all u-joint angle are factory) and 32 inch tires. This is driven twice a week (160 miles) to work and back, then very minor wheeling. all three back drive line u-joints go out at about the same time, not breaking just "drying up, the little bit of grease that were in the 2 caps on drive line side was COOKED bad, the rear end one is always the worse, then the transfer case u-joint (still has grease just cooked and play) then the center u-joint (same as transfer case just less play.) The carrier bearing is new, and so is the center slip yoke. I know the factory size is tiny on those u-joints. I know the biggest tires I should run are 30/9.5, but the Dana 28 is not having trouble. If it was the same u-joint i would say problem at that spot (had a problem with slip yoke, that was another set of 3.) if it was manufacturer i would say not at roughly same time, and more than likely break not start to dry up and get play for all of them.

They are Napa auto parts u-joints, greasable. i could not find non-greasable (mixed reviews on greasable versus non-greasable). I tried to get some ford factory u-joints but after shipping they would have been well over 130.00. and more than likely break in another 8,000 miles.

I don't trash my truck, and I have been in thick mud with the last three u-joints, but not the first set.

I have re grounded the engine to the frame, and frame to the cab and bed with 10 gauge wire (someone told me that if the engine lost ground and was running through the drive train it could cause them to overheat.) I know electricity can do strange things(being an electrician for 6.5 years(household))

Second thought from an old timer ford guy is that the tires 32's are causing the joints to overheat; both times I replaced the rear u-joint the diff side had dried out totally while the drive line side was just burned grease.
Any help would be appreciated, getting very frustrated with this ongoing problem.

Last edited:

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
heres a question....do you frequently grease the u joints? if not then that mud and other junk will destroy a set real fast. And are you installing them? whats your method? something doesnt quite add up.

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes to grease, installing with a ball joint/u-joint threaded press (c-clamp made for the two). and they go together real easy, cant put in by hand but i don't need a vise to hold anything while turning wrenches.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my bronco II used to blow a u-joint every week or so. turns out the rear springs were so worn it was pointing the pinion angle up too far. the front half of the leaf actually had a slight negative arch.

check your pinion angle and make sure it is correct for your type of driveshaft.

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just climbed under the truck. now i do not have an angle finder, but the springs have an arch all the way through the length of them, and the hangers, ends, etc all look really good. and that would not explain the front one going out also because it is a split drive-line the angle is set by the carrier bearing at straight out.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
See how hot the pumpkin is after a typical drive.

Check its oil level.

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My guess is a bent drive shaft. That will eat them up real quick.

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this is after a 40 mile drive. oil is full and has under 20,000 miles on it. changed all fluid when i first got the truck.
so the pumpkin was 131, rear u-joint each cap was about 70 to 85. center were all under 78 and same with the front caps. i have talked to reputable drive line shop in the area and they will check it out and give me an estimate if it needs to be repaired or replaced.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals