• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

turbocharging a 2.3L

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah it is just like MP said, the turbo raises the cylinder pressures which is why if you start off with lower compression pistons, which are forged you have a stronger piece and it can stand more boost. the real enemy in a poweradder motor is detonation. you see, any poweradder weather it be nitrous, supercharger, or turbo packs more oxygen and fuel into the cylinder at a give level than a N/A motor can just suck in.

nitrous... N2O... 2 parts nitrogen (inert gas, stabilizer for the oxygen) and 1 part oxygen. a typical nitrous kit injects a metered amount of nitrous and adds the proper amount of fuel for the nitrous it is injecting either a "dry" kit or "wet" kit.

supercharger... uses crankshaft to drive a belt driven compressor (adding parasitic loss, w/o lag) to compress the incoming ambient air and adds fuel enrichment.

turbocharger... uses exhaust gases to spin a compressor (no parasitic loss, but has lag) to compress the ambient air and adds fuel enrichment

notice all of the poweradders add 2 primary things oxygen and fuel, they do it in different ways but the end result is, more of a combustable air fuel mixture making a bigger bang (depending on how much bigger the bang requiring forged pistons). this is an oversimplified explanation as there are alot of other variables, such as timing. with ANY poweradder timing MUST be backed off in stages to match the extra power added... if it is not, detonation is the result... we could go on for days explaining detonation, simply put, it is when the air fuel mixture in the cylinder explodes at the improper time in relation to the stroke of the piston as it travels thru the cylinder causing catastrophic failure. i know you didnt ask for all of this, i just figured i would cover all the bases, im sure you probably aready knew some of this, i figured it might help some of the people reading the post.

detonation can also be increased by not adding the proper amount of fuel to the mix, rich condition adding too much fuel.

*NOTE* maximum power is reached right on the edge of detonation, so being precise is of utmost importance!

Last edited:

ncsdaonex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylider
Transmission
Manual
Carburated, you can make more hp/dollar. There is no fuel injection system out there that can compete with a carburator system, in hp that is.
Fuel injection is more stable. If I were building a prerunner, I wouldn't even think about using a carb. If I were building a street truck, It WOULD have a carb.
The Turbo putting out boost raises the compression of an engine, because it is packing more Cubic inches of air into the engine then the engine is capable of alone. If you put in lower compression (Dished pistons) You are less likely to blow head gaskets and break pistons.
okay, now at low rpm when the motor turbo isnt giving more power how will the motor run, i mean will it run okay when i dont run it hard, one more thing, my truck has 8 spark plugs and it has a DIS, it is designed that it can have a distributer, if i put on a distributer will it run okay if only using four of the eight spark plugs and also is a distributor better than DIS for a turbo engine.

ncsdaonex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylider
Transmission
Manual
Carburated, you can make more hp/dollar. There is no fuel injection system out there that can compete with a carburator system, in hp that is.
Fuel injection is more stable. If I were building a prerunner, I wouldn't even think about using a carb. If I were building a street truck, It WOULD have a carb.
The Turbo putting out boost raises the compression of an engine, because it is packing more Cubic inches of air into the engine then the engine is capable of alone. If you put in lower compression (Dished pistons) You are less likely to blow head gaskets and break pistons.
with a turbo and forged pistons when the turbo is not making power at low rpm how will the motor run, will it run okay when im not on the throttle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals