• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo Charged 4.0L BII Build

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
An intercooler, or charge air cooler, is an air-to-air or air-to-liquid heat exchange device used on turbocharged and supercharged (forced induction) internal combustion engines to improve their volumetric efficiency by increasing intake air charge density through isochoric cooling. A decrease in air intake temperature provides a denser intake charge to the engine and allows more air and fuel to be combusted per engine cycle, increasing the output of the engine.

Now heres the deal as air heats up it expands (thermal expansion) and it cools down the molecules pack together (denser air).

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From wikapedia

An intercooler, or charge air cooler, is an air-to-air or air-to-liquid heat exchange device used on turbocharged and supercharged (forced induction) internal combustion engines to improve their volumetric efficiency by increasing intake air charge density through isochoric cooling. A decrease in air intake temperature provides a denser intake charge to the engine and allows more air and fuel to be combusted per engine cycle, increasing the output of the engine.
More air......

Yup...

Even though I wouldnt quote dikapedia for crap.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Now heres the deal as air heats up it expands (thermal expansion) and it cools down the molecules pack together (denser air).
But you have the same volume, therefore, a denser charge means more air.

Digital Squirrel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I relies I have no credit yet on this site as this is my second post but turbo cat is right. Now I also think at such a low psi that unless you live south of the equator it’s not worth the money for an air-to-air intercooler. You just wont see that much of an improvement but, you will see one! Now if your going to up the boost some time, live south of the equator or get a water to air intercooler I’d say you will see a big differents. Now if you just want a quick boot on a hot day every so often I would get a nitrous bottle with a hand spray attachment and hit the intake manifold when needed. Cheep and easy!

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dont matter if your north or south of the equator dude, same principle. And the argument wasnt based upon whether it was worth it or not, it was if it works or not, and you agree with me not him, well maybe him as well...

Digital Squirrel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Dont matter if your north or south of the equator dude, same principle. And the argument wasnt based upon whether it was worth it or not, it was if it works or not, and you agree with me not him, well maybe him as well...
Ahh sorry didn't read the entire thread... then yes it will work.:icon_rofl:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Density = mass per unit of volume...so If the 'air' is more dense, then it has more mass for that given amount of volume.

And adding a charge cooler will always help.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
it can help but also wit hthe bigger volume and restriction of the intercooler the response time is slower. But yes it will always air that is blown by densifying the air cahrge which means more air molecules per volume. its a balancing act. if your only pushing 5 psi of boost and depending on the blower design, it may only heat the IAT by only small increase in temps. Then if you add an intercooler you can still gain but the loss of response may outweigh the loss of power with the warmer air charger

Last edited:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well I have some bad bad news....
I was crawling around in a empty house lot last weekend and rolled my truck!...
Mechanically it is perfect. I busted out all the windows except the front windshield and driver side window. With a bunch of body damage. The roof held up a lot better than i thought.

So my Christmas break is going to consist of chopping my top and replacing doors/fenders...... instead of finishing the turbo :(
Since your putting it on hold I'll continue this project.......:icon_thumby:

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Density = mass per unit of volume...so If the 'air' is more dense, then it has more mass for that given amount of volume.

And adding a charge cooler will always help.
Exactly.

When you add more mass, you are adding more of something.

Adding more air mass, is adding more air, period.

it can help but also wit hthe bigger volume and restriction of the intercooler the response time is slower. But yes it will always air that is blown by densifying the air cahrge which means more air molecules per volume. its a balancing act. if your only pushing 5 psi of boost and depending on the blower design, it may only heat the IAT by only small increase in temps. Then if you add an intercooler you can still gain but the loss of response may outweigh the loss of power with the warmer air charger
If anything more volume in a boosted application is better, and the increase in spool-up time is unnoticeable. If it was such a problem, rear mount turbos would take forevvvvvvvvvver to spool up and create boost, and they dont.

The only time an intercooler becomes a problem is when it is a highly restrictive design, like a volvo FMIC or something of that sort, and those really arent that thermally efficient anyway. With that being said, Id still take a volvo IC over no IC, even at 5psi.

In a boosted application you want the charge air to be as close to if not lower than the ambient temp.

Sometimes its easier to not have an intercooler, such as in an explorer with limited space and piping concerns, but your still not going to make the same amount of power, let alone have the timing capability, of an intercooled setup.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Exactly.

When you add more mass, you are adding more of something.

Adding more air mass, is adding more air, period.

If anything more volume in a boosted application is better, and the increase in spool-up time is unnoticeable. If it was such a problem, rear mount turbos would take forevvvvvvvvvver to spool up and create boost, and they dont.

The only time an intercooler becomes a problem is when it is a highly restrictive design, like a volvo FMIC or something of that sort, and those really arent that thermally efficient anyway. With that being said, Id still take a volvo IC over no IC, even at 5psi.

In a boosted application you want the charge air to be as close to if not lower than the ambient temp.

Sometimes its easier to not have an intercooler, such as in an explorer with limited space and piping concerns, but your still not going to make the same amount of power, let alone have the timing capability, of an intercooled setup.

Actually rear mount turbos do spool slower on the street depending on the setup. Ive had a rear mounted TT v8 setup I dont like how a rear mount spools up on the street. Not to mention relying on a noisy scavenge pump. The only reason they spool as fast as the ydo Is becasue rear mounts generall use smaller turbine housings that you would up front. You do lose some effeciency with rear mounts. Hotter gases carry more energy and velocity. Hot expanding gases with high velocity is best for a turbocharger. With the smaller housings the gases try to squeeze thru a small scroll which creates velocity. if you have an automatic equipt car its not a big deal since you dont have to lift to shift (which keep the turbocharger spooled). In an manual equipt car there is some to be lost on the street. The track is a different story.

Back to the point if the blower you are using dosent push IATs that high then a intercooler isnt truly necesary. i have no intercooler on my 4.0 I push 5 psi everyday with a stock ecu and no timing adjustments whatso ever. Just fuel mods and I have no detonation issues at 5 psi even in the heat of the summer. Even some of the best intercoolers will have a slight pressure loss due to the restriction. Its all up to waht your using the vehicle for. I want the fastest response for good low rpm torque on my 4.0 so I can pass, take hills and haul equiptment.....You are right volume isnt as necesary on most setups but smaller volume=faster response due to faster fill time. Maybe someday il be able to see if my 4.0 benifits from an intercooler but until now its doing just fine and gets me what I need so I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to be using the stock manifolds and already have a location planned for the turbo. I've got a bunch of exhaust tube and going to make a y-pipe to mount up the turbo. Turbo will be a T3/T4 hybrid from a 280ZX.

Pictures to come.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
What are the A/R specs on the T3T4?

I would want a quick spooling one on a off road rig..

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I expect to hit full boost (5 psi) at around 1700-2000 rpm. This turbo I'm using was spinning 20+ psi on a 2.8L.

It's still on the small side for a single. Twin turbos from a Dodge 2.2 would be better sized for the 4.0L.

Last edited:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals