• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tune-up questions - 2000 4cyl

HD_Slim

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have just purchased a standard cab 2WD - manual - with 93K miles on it.

Any recommendations on spark plug brands/types ?

How about ignition wires brands ?

Or should I just go Ford OEM parts ?

Also - it looks like some of the plugs on the drivers side are gonna be a bi-atch to get to -- any advice there ?

Thanks !!!

98greenrangerguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Stick with plain old Motorcraft or Autolite platinum plugs. I used the Autolite Pro series wires the last time around and they matched the stock lenghts perfectly. They were also prelubed with dielectric grease. As far getting to the plugs, you'll need some extensions and swivel joints to get them out. Removing the intake, throttle body, and upper intake manifold make things a lot easier, but isn't absolutely necessary. You may want to use some tubing to get the new plugs started. This will help prevent crossthreading.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yup...they are a pita. i have to do mine soon, not looking forward to it. lots of swivels and extensions. I am planning on pulling the intake to clean it out. I also need to check compresstion, may be time for a valve job on mine.

Use either Motorcraft or Autolite...they come stock with double platinum plugs.

Wires....just use whatever (ok not whatever, the cotton covered wire I use on my old engines would be a BAD choice...it shorts out when wet). Anything that you get atthe auto store will be good enough.

Oh...and getting time to be thinking about the timing belt. Don't worry, though, If it breaks, it's not an intereference engine, so the motor won't kill itself. That's another easy job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals