• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Transmission/Engine installation 2005 Ranger Automatic XL 2 door 2WDR

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
SO I'm getting ready to install the rebuilt engine onto the transmission. Since this transmission has bolts on the torque converter would it be appropriate to install the torque converter on the flex plate and guide the combination on the transmission shaft or should I try to line up the four bolts on the torque converter to the flex plate and guide the engine back and down towards the bell housing? Thanks in advance.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The torque convertor needs to be FULLY SEATED into the transmission before you install the engine.

Once engine is bolted to transmission you can slide the torque convertor forward to the flex plate and rotate as needed to bolt the torque convertor to flex plate.

If the torque convertor is not fully seated into transmission you WILL break the front pump of the transmission when installing it, which will require a full rebuild of transmission to fix.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
SO I'm getting ready to install the rebuilt engine onto the transmission. Since this transmission has bolts on the torque converter would it be appropriate to install the torque converter on the flex plate and guide the combination on the transmission shaft or should I try to line up the four bolts on the torque converter to the flex plate and guide the engine back and down towards the bell housing? Thanks in advance.

NO! NO! NO!

Did I mention NO!

LOL

You will ruin any automatic transmission that way

Torque converter must be installed inside bell housing first, it will slide on to input shaft then keep pushing and turning it, and it will slide in farther 2 or 3 more times
Torque converter should be full inside bell housing when its seated properly

Google: How to seat a torque converter
Watch the short video
Make of vehicle doesn't matter, they all must be done this way

Leave spark plugs out and turn engine using crank pulley bolt to install flexplate bolts

I did my first automatic car install that way, because it would be easier, I RUINED a rebuilt transmission

DaveH

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
NO! NO! NO!

Did I mention NO!

LOL

You will ruin any automatic transmission that way

Torque converter must be installed inside bell housing first, it will slide on to input shaft then keep pushing and turning it, and it will slide in farther 2 or 3 more times
Torque converter should be full inside bell housing when its seated properly

Google: How to seat a torque converter
Watch the short video
Make of vehicle doesn't matter, they all must be done this way

Leave spark plugs out and turn engine using crank pulley bolt to install flexplate bolts

I did my first automatic car install that way, because it would be easier, I RUINED a rebuilt transmission
Thanks for the input.
While I was looking at it I thought I might as well as look at the front seal. LMAO that friggen torque oconverter is heavy! It has two flat sides which obviously need to fit into a slot. Can't see the slot with the seal in so I pretty answered my question (the hard way). Going to identify the transmission and try to located front and rear seals for it tomorrow.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2005 2.3l is a 5R44E automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals