• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

too low?

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Uhhhh yeah so i got a 2wd 83 longbed ranger. pulled the tanks running a fuel cell in the back.

so i purchased so cheap 3" lowering blocks, yeah they will probably break but its just for now. I bought some 3/16" thick steel by 2" wide and made a u and put that under the original leaf plate. so my problem is its way to damn low its sitting on the bump stops.

Why is it that low? i only have one side on right now so maybe all the weight is going to that leaf? there isnt a leaf on the other side. Are my leafs shot? idk lol heres some crappy pics.

before

After

My shit haha

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah you're at approx 7" of drop, you need to add a notch to the frame. My 4" in the rear is as low as I would go without notching it, I bottom out on good enough dips in the road.

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how would i go about notching the frame is that difficult?

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
btw what do i do about leveling out the front with the rear? i heard theres an adjustment on the torsion bars. i dont want to spend any money :) i can cut and weld

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To get the front down, you'd need to buy or make lowering i-beams (3 inch drop), and then buy lowering springs or cut your factory coils (1-3 inch drop depending which route you choose). That still might not be low enough to match the rear, and it would be near impossible to get properly aligned. You need drop beams to go any lower than 3 inches in the front, and still keep it align-able.

Your truck has no torsion bars, so that doesn't apply to you.

Honestly, I'd just ditch the blocks in the rear and leave the axle flip kit you made. You'd get 4-5 inches of drop in the rear, and wouldn't have to notch the frame. Plus it would be easier to get the front level with the rear, and still keep it align-able. If you pull the blocks out, you could probably make the front level with the rear by just cutting a round or two out of your coil springs.

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how would i go about making i beams? or customizing the ones i have?

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You don't unless you have a mechanical engineering degree, lots of fab work, and lots of suspension work under your belt.

There are too many thing that can and will go wrong if you attempts to make them your self. To give you an idea of the stress your suspension components go thorough, when you hit a pothole at 60 mph the impact on your suspension components is roughly 20 G's and unless you can calculate for things like this avoid the work. Also drop beams are usually machine welded for perfect or near perfect welds placed at precision spots. If you even off 1/64" on one side you can cause at minimum bad tire wear and at most make your truck undrivable.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
What he said.......take the blocks out...leave the axle on top of the springs....you'll have a lowered rear end with a better ride on ruff roads....

then lower the front end to match the rear................

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think this is the first time I've seen someone start with the rear and take it that far down. An said a few times you are at about a 7" drop now. To get the front leveled you will need about 5 or 6 inches, depending on how much your leafs have sagged over time. To get this you will need a combination of beams and springs. The beams will get you 3" without affecting your camber much, then you will need two or three inch drop springs to get the rest of the way. Using springs on top of beams can quickly lead to an uncorrectable camber issue, 5" drop is usually align-able (IIRC), 6" is borderline and depends on the truck, while anything more will usually not be align-able. You mentioned in another thread that you would like to bag this truck eventually. Drop beams will be necessary for that to work the way you want.

As stmitch recommended I'd remove that block, that'll put you back up to about 4". Get some beams to drop the front down. If you want lower (and you probably will) get some 2" drop springs for the front, which will net you about 5" suspension drop. If you need to bring the rear down more try the shackle flip, it's good for about 1.5-2". At this point you'd be at about 5" front and 6" rear.

...........................................................................................................................

To give you an idea of potential drops to be had from suspension mods.

Modification: drop in inches

Front:
lowering or cut springs: 1-3 depending on how much you cut
Drop beams: 3

Rear:
Shackle & Hangar flip: 1.5 to 2 (depends on truck)
Extended (chevy) Shackles: 1-2 (lift with stock Hangar, lower with flipped)
Axle flip: 4
Block: varies (lifts or lowers depending on position of axle)

Front and rear can be mixed in almost any combination.

........................................................................................................................

Just some eye candy, might help you pick a goal for static drop:

^^ 3/4 ( front drop / rear drop )

^^ 5/7

^^ 6/8

EDIT: Sorry I know this post was already long enough but I wanted to add this. Before buying beams you might also want to think about your front brakes. IIRC this truck was also a V8 swap, and some people like better brakes that what a first gen had. It is possible to install the dual piston calipers from a 95-97 Ranger, but doing so also requires swapping spindles to 95-97 and installing 89-97 I-beams. If you think this is in your future now is the time to do it so you don't have to buy beams again.

Last edited:

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
First off you need to either cap the sides and make it wrap under the axle fr that flip kit or ditch it and make it out of some thicker material such as 3/8" I have even seen the DJM flip kits 3/8" bend under stress, There is no doubt in my mind that 3/16 is not going to last.

The flip kit will yield about a 4" drop, you can flip your rear hangers and shackles for 2" drop. In order to get the front suspension any lower than 2" you will need Drop Ibeams, DJM are the best and have the best price. Then you can add some 2" drop coils for a total of 5" front drop which is the max that is able to be realigned. I highly recommend not cutting coils, it rides like crap and is not very safe.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
nice "fuel cell" haha

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged

Broncoman1532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you can can flip the rear leafs over (back on top of the axel) add the block in there and see how low that will take it with out doin the notch. for the front you can get a drop spindel. i have done it on 1 of my old rangers.

Broncoman1532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
or just go ahead and bag it yeah bag it and then when it aint low enough then body drop it

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
you can can flip the rear leafs over (back on top of the axel) add the block in there and see how low that will take it with out doin the notch. for the front you can get a drop spindel. i have done it on 1 of my old rangers.
Putting it back to stock and adding a block will LIFT it, and theres no such thing as drop spindles for a ranger, are you sure that wasnt an s10 you had?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals