• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tip for those of you who unRAR big things.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you've done what I did and upgraded your computer to something twice as fast, you may have noticed that RAR files will always be limited by your hard drive speed. My proc doesn't even scale above 1.8GHz (It's a 2.8@3.4) when extracting RAR files.

Why? WinRAR copies files to a temp folder, you can actually find it right there in the options.

Now, taking hard drive geography and platters into mind, you can realize that the drive is doing a lot of extra needless work, copying from wherever your data is to that temp folder and then back to where the data will end up. For most of us, this data ends right back up in the folder or a subfolder of the RAR files folder.

The solution to the problem is so simple it's mind boggling. You just set the temp file field to blank and click OK. Done. I did this and noticed that it's like putting a performance camshaft in a motor; the RPMs are steady and the power band (extraction rate) is flat because you're working in just that one section/platter of the drive instead of having things copied over to your C drive and then back wherever they're going.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good one like you said-so simple it's mind boggling...

Crunchy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You think you could have posted this yesterday when I had to unrar 17GB of files????

vaderj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
OHV 4.0
Transmission
Manual
using the command line unrar.exe would avoid this issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals