• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Time for a change.

derekj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4wd
Transmission
Manual
So I have had my truck in it's current state for 2 years now. I want to make some changes this winter. I propose a few ideas,

- leave the lift at 6" and add 36's or 37's

- drop the lift to 4" and go with a true 35" tire or a 36" tire or even a 37 with generous fender trimming

I am going to add extended radius arms to the front and I have some Jeep fender flares to put on that will give me a fair bit of room in the fender wells. Should be able to take about 3" off around the arch at least.

Most of the wheeling I do is slow rocky stuff, tight trees, and expedition style trips as well. I have a pretty easy right foot so I am not to concerned about drive line breakage. I am sort of inspired by the TJ on last years UA that was stock suspension on 40's. The truck can be a little tippy compared to my Sidekick I had before so lowering the COG would be nice, even if it is only an inch or 2.

My Pro-Comps measure out at 33" as they sit on the truck right now with still a fair bit of tread left.

I really want to get an Atlas 2 speed as well but don't think it will be in the budget this year. Looked at the doubler option, but I dont want to put in a smaller gas tank to fit the doubler case. I need as much range as I can get.

Thoughts anyone?

kirk3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
If you drop down to a 4" lift and go too a true 35" tire you gain an inch of ground clearance and lower you COG an inch too.
Win win

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah. 4" IMO is better b/c of COG.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Looked at the doubler option, but I dont want to put in a smaller gas tank to fit the doubler case. I need as much range as I can get.

Thoughts anyone?
A BII tank in the rear would get you 3 gallons more than the biggest tank ever offered in a Ranger. Combine that with a smaller tank in the stock location and you'll have just short of 40 gallons of total capacity :icon_surprised:

derekj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4wd
Transmission
Manual
Might have to look into a BII tank - might be a good way to go.

Should be starting on the fender flares this weekend, will post up the results.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
A BII tank in the rear would get you 3 gallons more than the biggest tank ever offered in a Ranger. Combine that with a smaller tank in the stock location and you'll have just short of 40 gallons of total capacity :icon_surprised:
The BII tank? I thought it was just 13 gallons. In PlumCrazy's (or was it BrayD's) thread, he strapped it behind the Ranger between the rails 3" higher than normal from the BII setup. He also, IIRC, had a problem with the electrical sending unit and couldn't get a positive reading on his fuel gauge.

The Ranger 16.5 gallon tank would fit in its stock location. And 4 gallons IS significant, IMO, if it's a DD.

4x4Junkie, which BII tanks are you referring to? :icon_confused: The 13 gallon BII tank fits nicely...would the 23 gallon tank fit just as well? I guess MY question is, "Which 2 tanks from a Bronco model can be combined to yield 40 gallons?"

Are you talking about this one, from an '87 BII at 23 gallons?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
All BII tanks are 23 gallons.

I was referring to the BII tank plus a stock 16.5 gallon Ranger tank (I sortof assumed Derek might've had the 20 gallon stock tank in his Ranger, if he downgraded it to the 16.5, maybe that would provide enough room for the doubler. I don't have personal experience with the doubler in Rangers so I might be wrong on it fitting with a 16.5 gal tank. If it doesn't, then it would probably have to be with just the BII tank alone).

16.5 + 23 = 39.5 gallons.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 13 gallon tank in BrayD's thread is a ranger auxiliary tank. I know that dual tanks were an option on first gen Rangers, and may ave been one up through '92. The 23 gallon BII tank bolts in the same place as the 13 gallon Ranger aux tank.

As for the OP's question. I really can't say which way you should go, but if that's it in your avatar pic I think it looks good as is.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals