• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tilt Steering Binding - Need some help

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Truck 1985 RCLB 2.8 V6 A4LD XL or Base model (not sure which)

No power steering

After-market steering wheel

Tilt steering column but I'm not sure if it's original to the truck or not

This truck was driving fine during the last week of December (on vacation last week). All of the steering components are brand new and I had it aligned just before Xmas.

I noticed that the steering wheel was loose and decided to take a look. I discovered that the center (15mm) bolt was finger tight and the three (10mm) bolts were loose.

I torqued the center nut to 36 lb./ft. (30-42 lb./ft. per the shop manual) and now the steering seems to be bound up. The steering wheel is very difficult to turn, even with the steering wheel back on. I'm at a loss for what to do. This is my only source of transportation but it doesn't seem safe to drive this way.

I did not notice anything 'happen' during dis-assembly which would lead me to believe that I messed something up. The shop manual mentions nothing about treating the tilt steering any differently than the non-tilt column.

Any ideas?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sounds similar to the '98 Sable that I drove for a while. It was fine to drive, steered just fine, it just felt like it didn't have power steering. I never did find out what was wrong. In fact, I thought it was normal (until I drove a '98 Taurus a few years later that the steering had more assist).

Wait. Is it binding, as in you try to turn the wheel and it won't turn, but if you use enough force it breaks free? Or does it just feel like you don't have power steering? Was anything disconnected down at the bottom?

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Wait. Is it binding, as in you try to turn the wheel and it won't turn, but if you use enough force it breaks free?
It's just very stiff & difficult to turn the steering wheel.
Or does it just feel like you don't have power steering? Was anything disconnected down at the bottom?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear; the truck does not have power steering, it's a manual (non-power) steering box (no pump, no hoses, no ps fluid).

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Sounds like it started binding up after you torqued everything up. I would say you have some interference issues with your aftermarket adaptor.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Sounds like it started binding up after you torqued everything up. I would say you have some interference issues with your aftermarket adaptor.
What's odd is that when I loosen/remove everything, the binding doesn't seem to go away. It's still very difficult to turn the steering without the adapter. That's why I was wondering if there was anything special I needed to do because of the tilt-steering column.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So is it binding or just the feel without power steering?

If you go around a corner... will the steering wheel cone back to straight when through the turn? Or do you have to help it come back center?

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
So is it binding or just the feel without power steering?

If you go around a corner... will the steering wheel cone back to straight when through the turn? Or do you have to help it come back center?
Well, it sure felt like it was really difficult to turn, while stationary, in the garage. I wanted to check here, first, to make sure I hadn't done something to create an unsafe condition. I raised one wheel/tire off the garage floor with a floor jack. That seemed to help but it still feels "sticky". I need to take it for a ride and see how it reacts. Oddly, the more I work the steering wheel back-and-forth, in the garage, the more 'normal' it feels.

The big center bolt goes into the steering column while the three smaller bolts go into blind holes in the column adapter. There doesn't really seem to be anyplace for binding to occur (which stumps me). Maybe I've just lost my mind.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Drive it... but be careful.

Manual steering blows IMHO.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Manual steering blows IMHO.
:D I actually like it, better road feedback (by-product of racing). It's not bad except when trying to park or back into the garage...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I suppose it would depend on application.

Did you downsize the steering wheel too?

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Did you downsize the steering wheel too?
I did not, it came with the truck. I'd call it a Momo knock-off. Four spokes, leather wrapped, aluminum center, 14" dia. I do not have the original.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This will sound stupid at first, but is there any possibility you overdid tightening the center nut and caused the steering column to collapse just a wee bit? The column is designed to be collapsible in an accident for the driver's protection. And that truck is nearly 40 years old, so I'm thinking about wear, corrosion, etc., on steering components.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
This will sound stupid at first, but is there any possibility you overdid tightening the center nut and caused the steering column to collapse just a wee bit? The column is designed to be collapsible in an accident for the driver's protection. And that truck is nearly 40 years old, so I'm thinking about wear, corrosion, etc., on steering components.
Well, I used a torque wrench @ 36 lb./ft. (the torque range is 30-42, per the shop manual). So, I don't think I over-tightened it. But, you're right, it is almost 40 years old and this is one of the things that makes me wonder why there seems to be so much drag.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
OK, I took it for a ride thru the neighborhood and to get some gas. It's definitely not right, it literally feels "sticky". It will come back from a hard left or right but will not center. It's not free enough to do that.

What's odd is that loosening the four bolts does not to resolve the binding. And, if I turn the wheel in small amounts, the plastic shroud that surrounds the tilt mechanism also moves. I have no idea how to remove that shroud so I can't see the tilt mechanism to determine if that's the issue.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
a random guess from afar would be the need for shims???? :dntknw:

pics may help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals