• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thermostat and gauge question.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1991 4.0l ranger

I just put in a third thermostat since I bought it. The previous 2 seemed to cold and the last one I think got stuck open or wouldn't close all the way. Anyway I put in my new one today and when I go test it out on the road, it warmed up to where the needle went right in the middle of "normal" on the gauge then went down and it hovers around the "n" of normal now.

Is this normal? This is pretty much what the previous 2 have done. I don't think I would get sold 3 different brands of broken thermostats. Is it my gauge? I bought a mechanical equis water temp. gauge to install but I could not figure out where to screw the probe in at on the engine.

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Pardon the pun but that's "Normal". My 94 does the exact same thing, even when it's 100 outside and I'm running the A/C. If you want to verify this go get a Motorcraft (not aftermarket) temp switch. They run around $20 and any odd readings should go away.

I state Motorcraft because I work in auto parts. Standard, BWD etc... just don't seem to get it for me personally when I need switches for my baby. I used those other 2 before especially on the oil pressure switch and they didn't read right. Went with Motorcraft and it worked perfect.

mge_1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the Motorcraft Temp Switch the same as Coolant Temp Sensor or is it different?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's two of them!

If the Motorcraft Temp Switch the same as Coolant Temp Sensor or is it different?
The temp switch sends a signal to the computer to tell it the temp is high enough for the computer to use full timing and full lean mixture as needed.
It has no variation.. it either doesn't send a signal or it "switches" and sends the same signal all the time.
The temp sensor tells the gauge what the needle should do. It is variable in it's signal so the proper temperature can be read.
The two senders have different lectric plugs and shouldn't be interchanged.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

mge_1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Big Jim M. In my case (95 B4000), the temp is also going up and down. Which part to replace first?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Big Jim M. In my case (95 B4000), the temp is also going up and down. Which part to replace first?
No reason to change the switch. It should have nothing to do with the gauge reading up and down. If only the gauge is going up and down and not the actual temperature of the coolant then the temp sender for the gauge could be the problem.
Big JIm:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals