• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Road Ranger. 1997 SEMI

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Soooo, the dead pull-a-part battery that I bought several years ago, when I pulled it out, was a one-year warranty battery. More on this later.

Like a lot of things, it was a last minute thing to go to the Truck Nationals last year. I completely forgot that I bought a marine battery for the #2 battery. So I pulled it out of the garage to swap it with the dead one.

That’s when I remembered I also bought an “on/off“ switch to connect it with the main battery. The concept was that both would charge when driving, but I could run my strobes and traffic advisor off the toolbox #2 battery without killing the main battery so I could still start the truck. And the marine battery was the ideal choice. BTW, it was also a $29.99 pull-a-part battery.

The marine battery was taller, so I had to redo my hold downs, no biggie, 5 minutes with some scrap aluminum. And I figured while I was at it, I would wire it the way I had originally planned with the on/off switch on the outside of the box. Concept being, if I had to stop and use the strobes, you have to do that very quickly in an emergency situation.

Finally, I forgot that I had totally temped the battery cables, simply pinching them between flat washers.

I put the new, old used, marine battery in with solid hold downs. I went into my battery cable box in the shed of miracles, and torched/stripped off three of the eyelets for my wiring. The twisted wire is a double 10 gauge stranded wire, plenty enough for what I’m doing. I mounted the on/off switch on the side of the box, E6000 to keep it steady with the flimsy back washer/nut, so I can flip it as I step out of the truck. I put the negative lead on with a couple flat washers and a regular nut, and I put the positive on with a wing nut (with my wiring ability, you never know when you’re going to have to disconnect something quickly!). There is also an “always hot” wire to all the strobes and such. I put an eyelet on that that goes straight to the #2 battery, but I also put in a male-female blade connector so I can pull it quickly as well. I’ll add a 30 amp fuse in there before I button it up.

IMG_1334.jpeg

It looks like spaghetti, but everything is well done, some wires left long for a reason. I snugged them all up with zip ties before I was done.

The on/off switch, which can also disconnect completely. Less than $10 on eBay.

IMG_1336.jpeg

This is all in the front top corner of the driver side of the Aluminum weather guard toolbox. I went into the shed of miracles, and got some high density shipping foam pieces, and fabricated a hat/cap for the battery, and a cap for the on/off switch, so nothing will ground them out if stuff shifts in the toolbox.

I hated that I was cheated on my one year warranty, three year old $25.99 pull-a-part battery, and I wanted to squeeze every penny out of it. So I used it as a weight when I glued the high density foam together. The two boxes of self drilling, self tapping screws worked for the smaller on/off switch insulator, just a target of opportunity within reach on the workbench.

IMG_1337.jpeg
IMG_1338.jpeg

A little trim work on the foam tomorrow, and a couple of zip ties, and you’ll be able to drop an anvil on the battery or the switch, and not ground anything out

Finally, I put my smart charger on that battery, which has been sitting on one of the cheap Chinese trickle chargers for a while, and it started out at 95%, and went to trickle in less than an hour. I flipped the connect switch, and it’s all sitting on a Battery Charger Jr now.

“Accomplish in hours, sometimes days, what used to take minutes…”

EDIT: Battery Tender Jr

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
IMG_1341.jpeg

That’s done! Well, for now, never really finished…

I also temp mounted my Diamond plate storage box under the step trailer. I don’t like it. I spaced it down about 4 inches so I could reach underneath to put the key in the lock (which is now on top under the deck), but I think that makes the box too low to the ground. The bottom of the box runs about the center of the wheels.

IMG_1344.jpeg
IMG_1343.jpeg

So I’m thinking my choices are to mount it flush with the bottom of the frame, which raises it up about 6-7 inches, with just enough space for the lid to flip out, and make an access panel in the deck to access the lock (like the access panel in the upper deck to access the terminal strip for the wiring).

Option two, abandon that mechanism completely, and just put a hasp and padlock or something like that on the side of the box. Don’t like that.

Option three is to remove the handle/lock and move the whole locking mechanism from the original side of the box to the original top of the box, which would put it on the outside in this view. I like that idea best, but it’s also a tremendous amount of work.

I have to also say that I like the handle and lock out of sight on top, reduces the low life’s desire for theft or vandalism.

Too many rabbit holes. If I run down every one, I’ll never get it done.

Edit: if you look in the upper toolbox picture, you can see my ramps folded up. My plan is to run a couple rails from the back of the box to the other side of the deck, so I can place the ramps on those rails, and chain them down.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Much better. I like the clearance.

IMG_1346.jpeg

I ran two Craigslist angle Unistrut pieces between the frame rails. I did it so the inside corner wraps the top corners of the toolbox. Unistrut goes from the outside edge of the two frame rails, and the toolbox extends out another three or 4 inches, so you don’t see the strut at all, just a diamond plate.

Unfortunately, I ended up poking a half dozen holes in the toolbox that weren’t there before, and there were probably at least 10 before that from the handles I removed, etc. I also have to drill four drain holes in the corners of the bottom. I’m thinking I’ll get some gray silicone, put it in thick from the back, and smooth it on the surface. I’ll do that after I polish that old box a little bit. You don’t really see anything but the fold down cover anyway, and the cover is in great shape. I’m also considering painting it gloss black so it disappears a little more on the profile. I’ll stew over that for a few days.

The only remaining issue is with the handle facing up, water can drain right into the box. But the handle is underneath the aluminum deck of the trailer, so I don’t think it will be an issue. All I’m going to have in there is a cheap jack, tire chocks, a lug wrench, etc., nothing too valuable. Even without the key lock, now you have to know exactly where to reach in under the deck to pull the handle with your finger.

BTW, under the trailer between the front of the toolbox and where the trailer steps up, I have two spare bullet hole wheels/tires, one on each side, hanging in the flip down tire carriers that come on the back of the Ranger.

IMG_1349.jpeg

Tomorrow, I’ll make some kind of hanger under those two unistrut rails to hold the folding ramps.

Baby steps…

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Using the same angle Unistrut, I made a hanger frame for my folding Ramps.

IMG_1356.jpeg

Theoretically, the ramps can’t bounce out in the rear because of the cross bracing I have on the frame and the trailer dolly.

On the front, I made a little hold down/security bar.

IMG_1358.png

I took a short piece of the unistrut, and put two long bolts through it that can go through the holes in the ramps, and then through the holes in the unistrut cradle. The bolts are only tightened to that bar, and just hang through the ramps and the unistrut cradle.

In the middle, I bolted a short piece of Unistrut that hangs down, that I can put a padlock through. It holds the front in place, and it also provide security for the ramps.

I added making a flap down door out of diamond plate, just for cosmetic reasons. Not very highly of the to do list…..

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I’ve had a persistent tiny leak in the truck over the driver seat, runs down the window A column, and I get water on the floor

I punched 20 holes in the roof when I was putting the lights and light bars up there. I already took the light bars and their frame off, gooped everything, and put it back. Still dripped.

Today I pulled the five cab over lights, put silicone seal underneath them, then put silicone seal around the edge of the Amber lens, and then put silicone seal where the hold down screw holes them down.

We’ll see when it rains…

A lot of little chores like that today

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Thanks anyway. Never any bad information or suggestions.

Mine is a southern truck with virtually no rust. I’m sure I poked a hole that is leaking the leak, I just have to backtrace it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Thanks anyway. Never any bad information or suggestions.

Mine is a southern truck with virtually no rust. I’m sure I poked a hole that is leaking the leak, I just have to backtrace it.
Anyway you can talk sweet pea into hosing down the truck while you look for the leak with the head liner removed?

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Anyway you can talk sweet pea into hosing down the truck while you look for the leak with the head liner removed?
Yeah, like that would ever happen!

I’ve joked about her washing the cars with me, wearing just a T-shirt, soon to be a wet T-shirt. Yeah, we’re pretty much waiting on that one too.

But it’s not a total lost cause. I could get the neighbor’s kid to spray the truck, and she could sit in a lawn recliner with a nice summer drink and supervise…

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Isn't the neighbor kid supposed to do the work, and you sit and stuper... Supervise?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals