• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Lightning Returns!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Cool piece of information from one of my supplier - Ford is having the axles on the new F-150 Lightning gun drilled so they can charge 3x as much for replacements

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Cool piece of information from one of my supplier - Ford is having the axles on the new F-150 Lightning gun drilled to save weight..

...Well, I found it interesting...

That is ignorant.

They have to be done that way to take the trainload of torque that has never been available in a passenger vehicle before.

You can harden and property the alloys in a specific way to take radical twist....anybody that wheels high power in rock has been doing it for decades to get 35 or 40 spline full floater 9 inch axles to live with 44 in plus tires.....instead of running massive 14 bolts or larger axles.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That is ignorant.

They have to be done that way to take the trainload of torque that has never been available in a passenger vehicle before.

You can harden and property the alloys in a specific way to take radical twist....anybody that wheels high power in rock has been doing it for decades to get 35 or 40 spline full floater 9 inch axles to live with 44 in plus tires.....instead of running massive 14 bolts or larger axles.
It isn't ignorant - I can give you all the engineering bs on how the center of a shaft is basically just along for the ride if you want.
When I was drag racing in '80s, 40 spline gun drilled axles were 10% lighter and >50% stronger than 35 spline solid axles in Ford 9"/Dana 60s.​
No argument that having center hole does allow easier thru hardening as you aren't fighting the mass/distance to center.

And none that the torque curve of electric motor is very different - maximum occurring just before motor stalls which is very different from an ICE.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
It is instant. Very different.

The decision was made the hard way due to failure.

You don't spend that kind of coin unless you have to. They already sell 4 digit torque diesels.

That weight is justifiable in a one ton..or 450 or 550 where the mass and braking for 30 k is needed.......but in a 1/2 ton Luxo barge that you want to float on a quiet cloud powered by lightning......a Dana 2000 is going to cut into the battery pack weight....and unsprung weight like a mofo.

I conflated your post with the "fixed" post.....

Though....the lightest strongest is the gun barrel. Not cheap. And deemed necessary.

You won't believe what has gone into this truck....it ghosted the 150 diesel...

Of course I hated that pos the second I seen it....and after running Ike and Vail in my powerboost.....good riddance.

The tight secrecy here eclipses the bronco.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My butt itches

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think you'd be very lucky to only pay 3x. Changing from solid axles from 1039 (OEM steel commonly used in bolt in axles)/1050 (Common steel for "C" clips) with induction hardening for only the outer 0.125-0.150" to gun drilled axels from 4340 or 300M* which are thru hardened might have you thinking you are purchasing airplane parts.

*I hope they aren't having to run more exotic steels (read expensive) than 4340 or 300M.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals