• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The gun thread...

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
In NM I believe out of state residents is guaranteed.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my uncle just got back from CO a week or so ago. he killed an 800 pound elk, big old mofo. they brought back 340 pounds of meat from it. gave some to the 2 guides they were with and he gave a bunch to friends and family here. it's pretty good, tastes like deer IMO.

they reintroduced them into the mountains here in NC but i havent been yet. apparently they were everywhere up there until the settlers killed them off. you have to draw for a tag though, so it's hard.

Just got back from Boone in Wilkesboro and there's a few dead deer on the roadside if thats any indication.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why a .30-06? it's a great hunting round, but you can kill stuff dead just as easy with smaller, less recoiling rounds.
One perk is that there probably isn't an easier caliber to find ammo for.

That said I want a .270, still big enough to do about anything with, pretty common to feed, and they shoot a little flatter.

Right now I am thinking about whether I want/need a .270 100ATR, 12ga Mossberg 500 slug gun or a 1875 Remington clone .45LC pistol. The .270 would be lighter to lug around than my Mosin and far easier to find ammo for, a fullsize 12ga shotgun would be nice for deer hunting, but then a cartridge pistol would be nice for deer hunting... :dunno:

For the moment my Mosin, Bantam 500 and 1858 Remgington do work though. :icon_thumby:

Everybody makes noise about how much a Mosin recoils, even with a plastic stock it is nothing compared to my 20ga slug gun.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
One perk is that there probably isn't an easier caliber to find ammo for.

That said I want a .270, still big enough to do about anything with, pretty common to feed, and they shoot a little flatter.

Right now I am thinking about whether I want/need a .270 100ATR, 12ga Mossberg 500 slug gun or a 1875 Remington clone .45LC pistol. The .270 would be lighter to lug around than my Mosin and far easier to find ammo for, a fullsize 12ga shotgun would be nice for deer hunting, but then a cartridge pistol would be nice for deer hunting... :dunno:

For the moment my Mosin, Bantam 500 and 1858 Remgington do work though. :icon_thumby:

Everybody makes noise about how much a Mosin recoils, even with a plastic stock it is nothing compared to my 20ga slug gun.
just m 2 cents. i would rule out the 12ga right now. there is not much that a 12ga can do that the 20ga you already have cant. that being sead. i would evaluate wich is more important to me, having the realy long range rifle or a more modern handgun. then go with that choise.

avenger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is the Gun i got a few days Ago (on Thanksgiving actually)... A .22LR Single shot. My uncle gave it to me..it is the first gun i have owned and its a blast to shoot. My little brother likes shooting it as well..
Its a Revelation Model 100B... Which was made By Mossberg for Western Auto Supply.. So in actuality or at least the model is a Mossberg 321

Here is a pic.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just m 2 cents. i would rule out the 12ga right now. there is not much that a 12ga can do that the 20ga you already have cant. that being sead. i would evaluate wich is more important to me, having the realy long range rifle or a more modern handgun. then go with that choise.
It would be a fullsize 12ga with a rifled slug barrel, at least rifle sights (maybe cantilevered scope mount with red dot) vs a 20ga Bantam (youth) with a smoothbore slugster barrel with rifle sights.

In all reality, I would get the most use out of either the shotgun or pistol.

I wish they still made them so pretty as mine though...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
finding ammo is not really a problem for me... i reload all my own stuff. so even the expensive 300 weatherby is cheap for me! lol

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
ya your not going to find one with all the detail in yours without paying through the nose for it. but i think mossberg still puts out a good looking gun. the one on the bottom of this pic is a 12ga. mossberg 500. it also came with a rifled slug barrel w/ a raised werver rail for mounting a scope for somewere around $300 if my memory serves me right.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya your not going to find one with all the detail in yours without paying through the nose for it. but i think mossberg still puts out a good looking gun. the one on the bottom of this pic is a 12ga. mossberg 500. it also came with a rifled slug barrel w/ a raised werver rail for mounting a scope for somewere around $300 if my memory serves me right.
I have never seen one like it on a rack at any price. They only show wood or synthetic on their website.

I can do without the scrollwork on the receiver or gold trigger, but I really don't care for the really bland wood most of the guns have that I look at. Bass Pro had the rifle sighted one for $319 and the cantilevered one for something like $370 the last time I checked about a month ago.

Whatever they use for wood is still a lot better looking IMO than the striped stuff they use on the 870 express. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this is a pic of it at mossberg's site.
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/54243.jpg

the part # for mine is 58243 wich i could not find, but i dont see any difference between it and the 54243 in the link.
I just never find one with wood like what they show on their website.

Something like this, some sort of strange light colored grainless wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuqNtxPrJ-I

It isn't holding me up from getting one, just a peeve of mine. After the pistol vs rifle vs shotgun problem, I am stuck between the 54232 or 54244. Still trying to decide would do I want to do for a sight/scope.

Last edited:

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I just never find one with wood like what they show on their website.

Something like this, some sort of strange light colored grainless wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuqNtxPrJ-I

It isn't holding me up from getting one, just a peeve of mine. After the pistol vs rifle vs shotgun problem, I am stuck between the 54232 or 54244. Still trying to decide would do I want to do for a sight/scope.
In opinion I think mossberg guns just plainly suck and they remind me of a rattle can because how loose everything is.. I tired going deer hunting with it and it was a pain because it made too much noise ..So now I use a Browning bps or my Remington 870 express...

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Nice looking collection! Oh Crap! See u guys later,i'm off to the range...

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I can do without the scrollwork on the receiver or gold trigger, but I really don't care for the really bland wood most of the guns have that I look at.
Aftermarket stocks can solve that.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Range visit today yielded predictable results from my trusty colt and snubbie,same can be said for daughters boyfriends XDM in .40. Daughter has been wanting the Ruger LC9 for months, (first gun) so I rented one,bought a box of 9mm and on the range we go. She was hitting about 5 inches high of center mass,so came my turn,and... the trigger sucks! have to pull it a country mile before it goes bang.

Give it back and by the middle of the box she can't pull the trigger back far enuff without complaining,hence she has decided against it,sorry ruger,very nice package,but until the trigger is improved no sale. Sorry about the bashing,but have to call it like I see it,btw she hits well with my colt compact in .45,or the .40 XDM.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals