• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The gun thread...

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, seems like a lot of you know your guns. Grandpa had this five shot 38 short colt when he was a train conductor out West, Southern Black Hills area. Guess ten years either way of 1900. My brother got it and I got the Winchester Model 1897 12 Ga. 30" barrel
I had looked before but never found anything on it Here is what my brother was able to read of the pistol.
"The numbers on the butt end of the gun were easy to read: 13818

Across the sight line of the gun, the numbers were degraded. Here are the easiest ones to read:

Smith and Wesson

Springfield MASS USA

Model of 91

Harder to read info:

Pat/D APR 20.7 (or Y)5.FEB

20 (unreadable portion) DEC (possibly) 1877MAY1180"

Dave

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 (Home Rebuild!) 2100 motorcraft carb
Transmission
Manual
Nice pistol! check blue book of gun values. probably worth$$. ammo for .38 colt short still available, some odd outfit called western scrounger.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
Looks like it's a smithy New Model Number 3, but not for sure. If so, it was produced from 1887-1912, and almost 36k were made. Cailber and barrel length vary. If I didn't have to work in a few hours, i'd spend a little more time digging tonight. I'll see what more I can find out tomorow. It's a nice looking gun with a lot of history. The value on some of these older smithy's is tremendous...
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa

Last edited:

kamps989

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice looking guns everyone I love looking through em, now I'll throw one of mine in the mix. This is my Remington Model 700 Mountain gun LSS 30-06 with a Nikon pro-staff scope. I also have the bulletproof Model 870 12 gauge with a synthetic stock and a Tru-glo adjustable choke tube (for duck, goose, pheasant, and turkey) and a Franchi model 48AL 20 gauge (designated grouse gun)

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
So I think I want throw a boyd's thumbhole on my 17HMR, they just feel so nice to handle, the original synthetic stock is OK but leaves something to be desired.

mud_bogger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Heres the few, that I use the most.

17hmr

WInchester 94/22

Remington 721 30-06

model 70 .243

Ruger Hawkeye .223

The "Twins"

Smith&Wesson 12ga

Smith&Wesson 20ga

Remiington 870 20ga, that I painted a few weeks ago

my 28ga

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Bogger, you love your savage 17 as much as I love mine? I bet that stock makes it a dream to shoot hence why I'm buying the same one in a "pepper" color. And beautiful scenery down there :icon_thumby:

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
I think bogger's pictures belong in a hunting book... Very nice set of pics, with game to complement the awesome firearms.

I have to say though...that third picture made me go :eek:.
________
Vaporizer review

Last edited:

razrwild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
don't have pics currently but I have
a savage bolt .22 I think its a mkII 3-9x40mm simmons? scope
enfield 30-06 bolt with sporterized stock and leupold 3-9x40
marlin 60ss
remington 522 viper
old s&w 8 shot revolver 22 from my mom
pics coming
and a few .22's that my parents had and didn't want but don't know what they are

mud_bogger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I love that 17hmr. It came with that stock. Not all that great for off hand shooting as you tend to twist it with your right hand. However with the Bipod its deadly. I started using my .223 on squirrels alot more though, as its a little lighter and it carries well. its a pretty good hike getting back into those bluffs and the 17hmr doesnt carry worth a schit. I have a hunch that you will notice on that thumbhole stock, that you will creep up on it. Hence why its nice from prone and field positions, but off hand you might have some issues, depending on what scope you have and how its set up.

This is how mine gets used. Good binoculars and a lil patience, from that rock have killed alot of squirrels for me.

Duster:

You dont like hieghts? Pics 1,3, and 5 were all taken on the same series of bluffs.

The location of the 3rd pic was cool. Its just like that far canyon wall. Where it has these lil 2' wide rock fingers that extend from the bluffs 10-20' out. Thats where
I was sitting when I took the pic. Its cool as you sitting stradling this 2' wide rock pinnacle. Your feet are dangling in the air 100' or so above the ground. Its just awesome.

But I'm wierd like that. When I see a rock bluff or cliff, I automaticly want to see what it looks like from ontop. Like here, I saw the bluff from the road off in the distance so off we went to check it out.

And heres just a little rock, more of a bump in the ground than anything.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
I may not be one for heights, but that wasn't my reasoning for my reaction. It just looks like it wouldn't take much for it to fall right off and take the couple hundred foot plunge... My luck, that would be exactly what happens. That, or the rock i'm standing on does....

As far as a 17hmr, the setup you have is almost exactly what i'd get.
________
DRUG TEST

Last edited:

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my dad has a bunch of guns from my great grand father that he's just holding on to until i get a safe. I want the 1903 really bad though.. soon hopefully..

my first gun purchase was this Remington 870 super express mag 12 gauge. I'm running into issues with cheap 2 3/4" shells jamming up, so this gun may get set aside and ony used for hunting theh buy my buddies remmy tactacle shotty for going to the range with.

I'm looking to get an XDm or Glock 19 for my 21st in a few months. then i want an AK, a .22 and some sort of real rifle, something in the .308-.338 range.

mud_bogger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Gotcha. And your right, you gotta be carefull. I wont go up there when snow is on the ground, due to that. Did it once, came very close multiple times to flying.

SAS'd:

That the gun that wouldnt shoot the cheap shells?

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
where did i have that posted? i know i typed it... where the hell is it?

yea like, go to walmart and spend $22 on 100 shells, it wont shoot those. the heavy dove and STS shells (brass bottoms) are the only 2 3/4" ones i've found to work so far (minus slugs)and i'll be trying a few other ones at the range next time i go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals